Tap root up or down?

dom2mac

As a new grower, I have been doing a lot of research on optimal growing techniques. I am a firm believer that a community can reach a consensus and quite frankly on this topic I am having a hard time finding what everyone thinks is the optimal way to plant your seeds. So do you:

1. Plant the tap root up?
  2. Plant the tap root sideways slightly up?
  3. Plant the tap root sideways?
  4. Plant the tap root sideways slightly down?
  5. Plant the tap root down?

(i see the option to make a poll below but have no idea how to create a voting poll)

As a new grower, I have been doing a lot of research on optimal growing techniques. I am a firm believer that a community can reach a consensus and quite frankly on this topic I am having a hard time finding what everyone thinks is the optimal way to plant your seeds. So do you:

I'm having trouble grasping why someone would plant it upside down, not sure why you would want to make it harder on it to pop out of the soil. But I soak and then put the seeds in the soil, so a "let it do it's own thing naturally" type ;) :rofl: so I don't have anything to base a vote on.

It does seem a little silly at first glance but since good seeds arent cheap germination rates are a thing. I have seen a graphic being passed around that shows that tap root pointing up is the most natural way to plant, the tap root makes a U near the surface. Instinctively, I initially started planting with the tap root down my first go around but my second grow I planted sideways slightly pointing up. Both worked, but I just wondered what other peoples experiences were so I can have a better success rate.

The pointy end of the seed is the “bottom”, and this is the end which the taproot should emerge from. Experts advise that this pointy end should go into the soil first, and if all goes according to plan the seed casing should be discarded naturally as the taproot grows downward and pushes the rest upward through the soil.

I try very hard to plant the tap root down. A couple of weeks ago I planted some UltraDawg seeds and one came up within 2 days. The second one broke the surface a few days later but looked as if the top had broken off under the surface. I never really understood it as it looked albino but it looked greenish at the soil surface.

I took some pictures of it recently and looked at it magnified and saw what looked like crystals on either side of the stump. At some point I realized the stump was the root which was trying to grow more roots above soil.

Anyway, this morning I dug it up and of course found that the leaves were under the soil. Eventually it probably would have straightened itself out but I turned it over and tried to cover the root and to allow the plant to grow upright.

IMG_520712.JPG

DSC_090112.JPG

See those two clusters of tissue. I think those are micro roots.

DSC_0023a1.jpg

Now if I didn't break anything flipping it over this morning and if the root is in contact with the peat pellet I'll have my second UD tomorrow. If not, it will just be a learning experience.

1. Plant the tap root up?
  2. Plant the tap root sideways slightly up?
  3. Plant the tap root sideways?
  4. Plant the tap root sideways slightly down?
  5. Plant the tap root down?

(i see the option to make a poll below but have no idea how to create a voting poll)

I voted tap root down, and I even germinate my seeds vertically with the pointy end down so the tap root emerges straight down from the bottom of the seed, but it's just possible that we're both overthinkin' it... ;)

2017-06-02_Day_3_1600_007.JPG

This is the image I was referring to. Apparently up is supposed to help the seed shed its shell according to others. In a sense the seed only contains a finite amount of endosperm that provides it energy during the initial stages of germination... food for thought.
marijuana-seeds-positioning-in-soil1.gif

This is the image I was referring to. Apparently up is supposed to help the seed shed its shell according to others. In a sense the seed only contains a finite amount of endosperm that provides it energy during the initial stages of germination... food for thought.
marijuana-seeds-positioning-in-soil.gif

That's a nice drawing and it looks authoritative, but it runs counter to what I learned about root growth in school--that root growth hormones under the influence of gravity keep the roots growing downward.

I can tell you (in a "sample size of one" as the statisticians say) that the last bean I popped had its tip down, the root grew straight down, and it just kept on going that way!

2017-06-02_Day_3_1600_007.JPG

The illustration looks like it came from a book. I was able to find a bigger version of it and there appears to be Chinese characters(writing not cartoon ;) ) on the side of the page. I wonder if anyone knows its source?

I might be overthinking this one?

Im just so new to growing marijuana that I dont want to mess things up more so I want to be successful. The way I have been operating is I do a ton of research then follow the way I feel most of the successful growers are doing things, like I said consensus.

Sorry If I seemed contentious last night. I was just trying to be helpful, and was just regurgitating what I felt was the consensus on growing in coco(it is a very forgiving medium). I am trying to approach growing with a level of humility that comes unnaturally to me and I truly do appreciate everything that I am learning.

I've been germinating seeds for years with taproot emerging downward, and I've never had a problem. My experience runs counter to what that graphic says to do. I'd take the word of experienced growers over a photo that came from god knows where.

I think it was the confusing (and erroneous, I think) drawing that caused the confusion...

Yeah thanks again. It kind of erks me that in a google search the first bit of advice you get is the wrong way. I have always believed that internet could never be wrong :goof:

Last run I tried the tap root up at about 10:00 and it does make a turn and it seems to help pop the seed shells off. I conclude that both ways work.

Back
Top Bottom