TassieDevil's - Indoor - DIY - Bag Seed - What The Fluxing Learning Curve - Stage 1

Re: TassieDevil's Indoor DIY Bagseed WhatTheFluxing Learning Curve-Stage1

Ok so the lid has been painfull....well I've been painfull....changed minds n all

But, we're almost there!

New lid from the top

DSCF33271.JPG

Inside showing retaining clips for air duct reflector.

DSCF3326.JPG

Side showing cable entry holes.

DSCF33282.JPG

Now, I came upon an idea for a simple reflector. Take an offcut of airduct. Split it length ways...and turn it inside out!

DSCF33291.JPG

The result is a very stiff, but flexible, reflective curved surface that will keep its own shape!

DSCF33302.JPG

So this is going to be incorperated into the lid as the reflector. If you're going to try this, add at least 10% on to your measurement, as when you turn it inside out, it shrinks in length! I think it has to do with how the plastic ribs are woven into the fabric.

I'm doing wiring and mounting the lights now, so maybe a finished photo's tonight!....

Hope you all had a good day!

2/10 Week 2, Day 10

248am
Hey skunny thanks... :) It's really a dodgy start....the season is well underway and I'm late...so just had to push beans in dirt and hope I'm fast enough to make the room for their growth!

I love my neighbours....I love their so far away! :) No I love my neighbours....somedays I love them more than others!

Yesterday was a stuff up....Its spring...we live in the country....theres lot's happpening.....and everyone needs help. Fair enough.

But, when you open your 'not so legal" grow room, for the 5th time, only to have to cover it all up REALLY QUICKLY, bring heart rate down, and look cool, calm and collected. Doug came for a chat (68), Kevin needed to borrow some harrows, Jimmy wanted me to help move the cows...and daddy just needs to get some bloody lights on little plants before they stretch 'emselves too bloody much!

OK, had that rant. So I didn't get finished....too many interruptions.

The following 'stuff' is stuff I do - I'm gunna say it here, sometimes this Journal may seem a bit odd, so I'm gunna make some excuses here, before we really get on.

I have mental and physical conditions that effect my ability to do 'normal' stuff . Not necessarily bad, maybe different is all. If it's bad, I wont be around for a few days.

I am having to adjust my whole life at the moment to being unable to use my hands much...its a long story, but carpel tunnel, surgery that's failed...It feels like I've got 1/8th inch thick skin on my hands...numb...insensitive...no grip strength...and they fail, dependant on weight in maybe a minute of holding something...then I drop it!

There may be a few f'ups in this from me dropping stuff....I hope not, but if you laugh with me, it might help the anguish I will surely feel over it :)

I don't sleep much - mostly I go to sleep and wake up in the same 24H period ie I'm asleep by 700pm and awake around usually well before 12pm/am on the same day/night. I get confused.This may also lead to times when I put in pics on the same day morning and night...Some day's I don't know whether its yesterday or today.

If somethings a bit odd...unless I'm just being plain stupid, then that'd be me, not the mental condition :)
Let it go, please, I have dates on a calender so I don't forget the actual dates of stuff, and so

Oh if I call myself 'daddy' - I have a 5 and 3 year old...it goes with the territory! :)
Oh and If there's a whole bunch of sh*t on here, dont worry, I don't sleep, it could be 2am ramblings....please forgive me :D

On a better note THANK YOU LightAddict....yesterday was no itching...must have been your northern hemispherian...no hang on, must have been some 'British luck' that made all the difference.....slept most of last night no itching! Thanks mate :)

3:19am
I've just made another decision. I worry about all the words I write. I'm wordy...and I try to do this journal the way I've seen others do
it...but I cant...I ramble. The decision is, this is my journal, so I'll ramble on if that's ok? :)

:Namaste:

2/10

Yesterdays First Feed:

So the first four that made it through had their first feed.

1/2 strength Seasol complete plant food. - this equated to 1.5ml to my 250ml sprayer....oh god, I just realised I'm going to have to convert everything to imperial for our friends up there! :)

I made a mistake. I forgot to put the water I use for the plants in the germination box. A couple of the plants drooped leaves for a few hours due to water temp. It was such a newbie mistake. You can see the leaf drop in the first pic.

I tend to them every 4 hours basically at this stage. I always found a better plant could be had by ensuring that the seedling didn't miss a beat for it's first few leaf sets...then the plant just seems to be a better thing...so I nurse them...due to the insomnia, they've managed to get a cuddle every couple of hours... :)

Just after feeding yesterday at 500pm

DSCF33251.JPG

This morning 8.5 hours after feeding/ Night time temps here around 4-8 degrees, hence the drop in temps, hence the need for more lighting, but also then supplemental airflow....on it's way I promise!

DSCF33321.JPG

LL1. The first to pop. This bean's tap root bottomed out on 3" native tube by day 4! I re-potted, and by day 7 I noticed it stalled. Although the first set is appearing now, and all, I got a feeling the root bottomed out again on day 7. I'm starting to feel I need to get this one in a BIG pot. But, this is outdoor mentality, so I think I need help to make a decision on what to do.

DSCF3333.JPG

EDIT: So even in the viewfinder, not the LCD I still can't get this camera to focus on the plant...have a look at the foreground propagating sand...that bit looks good! I'll try to get this sorted.

So, I throw this out there

Am I being 'outdoory'...I grow tap roots outdoors to anchor them...it's windy in Tasmania! Also, I use the old road kill in the bottom of the hole 3 months before trick...you want a tap root to get to that ASAP.

If I just leave it, feed it...will the roots start to grow out...I think they do, I just don't want to hold LL1 back if this is what it wants....idea's and input please :)

Have a great day :)

I'm only on my second grow, both indoor, in soil, in the spare closet so I've never seen the roots once I've planted. I guess I just go on faith that it's all good if the plants stay green and keep growing LOL! :cheesygrinsmiley: The sprouts in your photos look great!

Ramble away I say! I think 420 is a very forgiving place. It is full of so many different folks from all over the world with so many personalities, circumstances, conditions, grow styles - you've got your own place here and I'm glad I get to see your grow unfold! :cheer:

I'm on a mission to grow my own meds as the pharmaceuticals I use for my GPN are really screwing me up. Cannabis works wonders on other areas for me as well. :cheesygrinsmiley: I think sometimes I complain about work in my journal because it's hard to tend to my grow and work is really mentally difficult for me - cannabis works wonders in that department too. I wish you well and hope you keep updating on how you're doing!

Hey Catman...oh I like your black cat....what was he called....Zencat...that's right isn't it?

Thank you mate!

I understand with the meds thing...my body doesnt like what they want me to take, so I don't, well can't and they have no other alternatives, so I make the only one which works without bad side effects...MJ

Thanks for stopping in, the construction update is in progress, and thanks for confirming it's ok to ramble...I needed that :)

Construction update

OK, first off we've got the existing wire rack and two 'porch' light type fixtures I stole from outside the shed! 2 x 18W cool white CFL - total claimed output 2080 lumens, which was enough for germination, but not enough height or light to continue.

Existing box

Existing lights

New lid and light combo
So now it has a lid again, some handles for easy lifting on and off, and 5 x 18w cool white CFL - total claimed output 5200 lumens.

DSCF33271.JPG

DSCF33282.JPG

Wiring

DSCF33342.JPG

Test install

Reflector out of air duct turned inside out

DSCF33291.JPG

DSCF33302.JPG

and installed

DSCF33353.JPG

EDIT: So...it's been a day...

My hands are crap at the moment, I'm fumbling with every screw...it's been frustrating

And

DSCF33361.JPG

No continuity in the wiring somewhere, so I've pulled the pin for the day, too damn frustrated to think straight... :(

So, instead of a completed install, I give you a contsruction update!

And now 24H after first feed:

Conditions in the box:

DSCF33372.JPG

LL1

DSCF33382.JPG

LL2

DSCF33393.JPG

Repotted O's, now 36h after repot, roughly, give or take :)

DSCF33402.JPG

Looks like generally everyone in there is happy :)

Thanks for looking :)

2ND EDIT: I can see more easily in the photo's we've got a couple of dry 0's....and you know it's no good to have a dry O ! :) I'm off to water...

Thanks Tasie
I am hounerd to be here I have to go back an red whats going on. I seen the pictures I love the valley and the reflector that you put together:circle-of-love:

...and I am honoured with your presence my friend :)

Namaste

The air duct was one of those mind changes I talk about....I was thinking what can be curved and reflective and what have I got...and there is was...so I cut a bit off, turned it inside out, and it worked...I dunno about fireproof or HPS proof or anything like that, but CFL...I reakon...it'l be finished over the next day....or so.... :) ....and we shall see....its not flash, but its shiny and sort of curved!

Oh shucks mate!

Mmm little confession...I'm a qualified solid timber Joiner/carpenter...

What you see it dodgy for me...I just cant hold anything long enough to do what I want, can't manipulate little things like wires and screws very well, so I thank you very much coz to me it looks horrid, but I've had to let it go so I can keep the sprouts happy!

So I do need encouragement it's OK :) :Namaste:

Thank you again Jaga :Circle-Of-Love: for doubling my likes single handedly in half hour!

I left the babies at 7 last night, to have a look at 230am...and hour ago.

I got a hot box!

Overnight air temps rose to 14 deg C, cloud cover and warm northerly winds blowing in...from the daytime high yesterday of 12 deg C!

So we had 29.8 Deg C, 86F, at 51% humidity this morning which isn't bad, but the sprouts just started to show leaf fold...indicating shutting the leaves off to the light....heat stress...

So I uncovered the box a bit, havent watered yet, want the temps to come down, so I don't get water temp shock...but they're not showing signs of lack of water either, and I'd prefer the pots to dry a little, so will wait a bit for the temp to come down, watch to see what happens with the leaf fold, and consider watering when all that has settled...I guess another 4-8H

3:32am
I just check em, and all the leaves have unfolded again! I've never watched as closely. I've never seen the changes that they go through so quickly....I mean they respond so quickly to changes in environment!

DSCF33433.JPG

So, I guess the insomnia has some use....I'm really getting to know this early stage so much better! :)

LL1 First set coming along

DSCF33451.JPG

O1 Showing first set

DSCF33442.JPG

I've just read on the specs for my CFL's they're 4000K

I assumed with a 'Cool White' label they were 6000K

Any thoughts on what I should do? Is 4000K ok?

4000 is a mix spectrum I think..... they'll be fine people veg under hps. 3000 k and they do fine :)
If u could secure some 5000-6000k bulbs they'd veg better but it ok mate in my opinion

Yep, that's what I thought...It's ok, but 6000K better, thanks mate!

Another question then?

DSCF3353a.jpg

Its a cab hopefully for my Flux vs Scrog off...it's small, yes! I figure each section...one on top of each other has say 450x580mm floor area and 600mm maybe for growth, plus pots and lights....the reflectors in the corners are 4' double Fluoro's. I'll have one in each corner for side lighting and dunno about over head yet...any thoughts?

EDIT 1500MM IS ALMOST 5 FEET

Back
Top Bottom