Teachme's Indoor Closet Grow

PBRMJ, honestly i dont know. ill probably get a little digital thermometer sometime in the near future but havnt been able to yet. ill post it up when i do though. sorry man.

and to everybody, ive gotten some furtilizer to add on friday which will mark the 3rd week. its organic neptune harvest fish fertilizer (2-4-1). the guys at the hydroponics store told me that was good for the veg cycle. then ill have get another for the flowering once i stary it. let me know what you guys think.

hey g-dog i am well thanks. hope youve been doing good yourself.

im planning on starting my fertilizing tomorrow instead of friday. in the directions for my fert. it says to use 1 tablespoon (15ml)/gallon of water every 2-3 weeks but im going to use 1/3 the strength (5ml) every couple weeks and just water in between.

heres 2 pics of what the plant looks like today. i can tell the stem is getting a little thicker and stronger and the leaves are really starting to come out.
18days3.jpg

18_days1.jpg

Are u blowing a fan over the plant?
I noticed in the begining that without a fan blowing on my seedling,they got realy long,thin stems and usealy fell over and look stupid,lol...
After reading ect I relized that a simple little fan blowing on them constantly will actualy strenghten the stem ect as the wind moce the plant around ect,Iv had plants go from retarded looking to gorgeous just by adding a fan,asuming the lights/water and everything were good...but urs looks pretty good now,eventualy u will be able to read ur plants,like know whats wrong just by looking at them...it doesnt take long,just alot of reading:) On my last grow I just looked at them and did what I thought would be good,the watering one becomes easy...but the more u grow the more u will find out and learn,I just started all this as well and look foward to learning all I can,
But ya,looking good dude,Ill be watching...:)

hey bro just checking up on your grow and I see a few things I think you can fix. first DO NOT ADD NUTES THIS EARLY!! note my picture below I made this bad mistake and I don't want you to make the same.

Nutes26.jpg

Second I can't tell from the picture but are your lights hanging vertical in those reflectors? If so I would take them out and hang them beside your plants not above them. Remember that most light comes from the sides of CFLs and barley any light is emitted from the top.

Another thing is make sure you have the fan blowing on the seedlings on low or medium depending on how far away they are. The fan makes sure the air doesn't stale, not only that but it will make your stems strong and you wont have to use supports on your plant. I'm sure you heard some of this info before, but I hope I could help : )

Good luck on your grow! I'll be checking in time to time.

hey j4s2u0 and tnoldon! yea i actually came on this to write a post about how im changing the plans and made a litttle mistake. where i said friday marks the 3rd week i meant to say the second. but im not planning on adding my fert. today. my plant is getting bigger and beautiful and almost ready for transplant. so when i transplant is when i plan on adding the fish fertilizer just to clear that part up.

j4s2u0, i had a little fan but the thing vibrated pretty bad and made a lot of noise so i had to sadly take it out and i still have to get another.

tnoldon, yea my lights are hanging vertical but ill try to figure out a way to get them horizontal but the reflectors might be a little big the i wont be able to get the sides of the bulbs to hit the plant. ill try to figure out a way though just very limited space to experiment with that. and yes a little of the info ive heard before but its never bad to hear again, helps stick in your brain better.

but thanks you two for the help and tips very much appreciated, nice to have you guys aboard now and look forward to hearing back. :grinjoint:

The thing with CFLs:

They are not extremely powerful so you need to be close to the plant.

A CFL is a bit longer than it is wide. So more light Does come out of the sides.

If you have a CFL mounted in a reflector horizontally that means the light has to to into the reflector and back through itself and then to the plant. As light travels it loses intensity and is generally wasted.

If you want to get the best of a CFL it is best hung vertically between plants or buds. The light emits out of it in all directions, but dies off fast. You want to be a few inches from the plant and if you are hung vertically between plants or buds you are going to get the best of the light.

You still want to reflect as much light back into the plant as possible. White boards are great for that. I have built enclosure of white board and it does contain and reuse a lot of the light. It is best to try to maximize the efficiency of the light with as many reflectors as possible.

Although you do not get a lot back with a top reflector, you still need something on the top to reflect light back down, as well as the sides and the bottom. With a low power light like a CFL you want to reflect as many directions as you can to contain and build up lumens.

My grows have white board on the floor, sides and top. Although the reflected light is not that powerful, when you have several lights and reflect them all it all adds up to make the space brighter.

thanks g-dog. ive kept my light always a few inches away from the plant but especially since its getting bigger, its even closer and at a good distance i think. reflection wise, since the y sockets have the bulbs at an angle, i think that the plant is actually getting decent reflection since the side of the bulbs are facing the plant. how much does the white board cost maybe i can get it and put it against my white walls for better reflection.

i have one important question/concern though. i was looking closely at my plant and noticed that on about 3 or 4 leaves i saw there might of been more, the very tips were starting to change color like the yellowish color when leaves start to die or something. im pretty sure its not overwatering and ive read up on it found a few reasons it could be that way but i wanted to ask here to see if someone has a good idea on what it could be and what to do. i tried to take a picture but all i have is my phone and i cant get close enough with it.

other than the tips, it looks good and its getting tall. heres a pic:
getting_bigger.jpg

Hi Teach

I cannot tell much from that picture. To be honest I am not the best person at diagnosing a problem with a plant. I have had good luck most of life of growing. I do things a certain way and it always seems to work. There are others on the site that are better at that than me. If I had a plant like your's I would re-pot it and bury the plant up to the leaves. That plant always has had a weak main stem and that is what I have always done when I get one like that.

The white boards (foamcore) that I speak of is available at Walmart in the hobby section for a couple bucks. It is good stuff.

I am not sure if that is the problem or not Teach, but if you did bury the plant up to the leaves it would grow new roots. The main stem is like a single straw that may be restricted. It looks kind of dark. New roots mean that you have more resources to the leaves.

hey what i did was fill the cup up to the brim right now and ill re-pot it tomorrow possibly. it doesnt seem to really be sick because its sprouting more leaves in the middle right now. but wont re-potting it cause stress to the plant?

hey what i did was fill the cup up to the brim right now and ill re-pot it tomorrow possibly. it doesnt seem to really be sick because its sprouting more leaves in the middle right now. but wont re-potting it cause stress to the plant?

Repotting does cause a bit of stress, but not horribly.

If I were you I would go a size up in the pot. You have to do it sooner or later and that is just one less repotting stress that your plant will have to go through. Just my opinion.

I sure hope this is a girl.

yea that sounds like a good idea with going up. and yea i do too.. ill be pretty upset/dissapointed after all this if it isnt.

im just worried its something that may progress to getting worse. i researched a little and found that it may be a pottassium deficiency so im gonna go to the hydro store tomorrow maybe to get something and ask the poeple there too. maybe one of them might know something.

anyways happy toking! :yummy:

You don't need to worry about deficiencies in soil plants so much. I have never had one in many years. You could probably go all the way through seed to bud and never add anything to the soil but water.

Your main stem looks overworked and if it were not just supporting the heavy load and trying to get all of it's moisture and feeding through that narrow passage it may be okay. Putting soil up to the leaves will make more roots and after that you will probably see improvement.

It is probably stunted though. You get a stunted runt once in awhile and that means it is probably time to be looking for another.

yea i was thinking of re-potting tomorrow and maybe adding that fertilizer i bought. if its gonna be a bad seedling whats the difference anyways, i can experiment. and yea i have a couple seeds germinating anyways incase for this reason. ive planted 2 seedlings after this first one to have a second plant going but they keep dieing after the first couple days for some reason and look so good and healthy though before they die. im hoping to have better luck with the next one. but if this is a stunted seed that means theres no point in it right? /:

it is sprouting new leaves on the top in the middle of it still.

I am not sure it is stunted, but in my experience if a seedling has a bad start it never really gets that big. I do not know how big you want it to be, so I don't know. But if you coax that thing to life by repotting you may never see much of her (or him). That is why we always plant 2-3 times more seeds than we need so we can cull out the non-producers. I am not certain your plant is a non-producer yet, just preparing you for the worst. Anything can happen still. It may shoot up, may be female or male. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. But if you do get a magic plant you need to make sure you clone it. You just never know.

yea im hoping that i can get something out of it. i only wanted it to be like 3-3 1/2 ft. but i was also trying to start another 2 plants, i put in an earlier post not far back that that last 2 or 3 times i tried a new plant they died a few days after sprouting leaves and i wasnt sure why.

Back
Top Bottom