Hey @tealatlas Mind if i pull up a chair for this one? I'm a sucker for DWC and RDWC grows :adore: and you have one clean set up in there. We actually eyeballed this kit before building our own RDWC system. So clean and simple.
Please do! Thanks for the kind words. This is the old "blackout series" UC4XL13 without some of the recent enhancements like easier-to-clean joints. I did adapt the epicenter with a new float valve from the new series. My setup looks exactly like the one below, except with a chiller on the return pump.

25-UC4XL13.jpg

I hear from a few others that bluelab controller is the business. Any thoughts on it you'd care to share?
I can't lie, it was an impulse purchase. But what can I say? It just works. It's incredible. You calibrate it once a month just like you do with their other meters/controllers, set an on time/off time as well as a timeout in-between doses. Uses far less pH adjuster and stabilizes pH even as new RO flows into the res. It significantly minimizes the time I would spend pHing nutrient solution.

I don't have a cadence down yet, but my "weekly" plan is to set the pH controller to 6.5 as RO comes in, mix in nutes and let them bubble, set the controller to 5.8, let it bubble, and then change the solution.

But as far as the controller goes... if you've got your source water figured out and you're a pH master, it's less necessary than it would be otherwise. I have it connected to my res which can have a varied amount of water in it at any given time, so it's beneficial to me. Definitely worth it regardless though if you've got the cash. The more time spent training the girls the better!

What a great impulse purchase :high-five: . Impulse purchases usually aren't that useful in our house lol.

I've got our water pretty much figured out, and can adjust it with my eyes closed damn near :rolleyes: haha. But not having to do it myself at all would be great. I set ours to 5.6 in the early stages inching towards 5.8 closer to transition. then run 5.8 for the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12 and bump the tank to 6.0 until the end. And having a controller to do that for you. That would be the perfect hydro life right there :meditate:

What a great impulse purchase :high-five: . Impulse purchases usually aren't that useful in our house lol.

I've got our water pretty much figured out, and can adjust it with my eyes closed damn near :rolleyes: haha. But not having to do it myself at all would be great. I set ours to 5.6 in the early stages inching towards 5.8 closer to transition. then run 5.8 for the first 2-3 weeks of 12/12 and bump the tank to 6.0 until the end. And having a controller to do that for you. That would be the perfect hydro life right there :meditate:
I got used to adjusting the pH of my water during my last soil run... definitely could never quite do it with my eyes closed :p but the accuracy combined with the ease of use really did make the controller a worthwhile impulse purchase. :laughtwo: Plus I have a Wyze Cam Pan positioned on it so I can check the pH of the res from my couch, so that's what really ties it all together.

2CAA8EBB0D5B_1617922095343.png

20210408_161230.jpg
20210408_161148.jpg
20210408_161421.jpg
20210408_161525.jpg
20210408_161700.jpg

I got used to adjusting the pH of my water during my last soil run... definitely could never quite do it with my eyes closed :p but the accuracy combined with the ease of use really did make the controller a worthwhile impulse purchase. :laughtwo: Plus I have a Wyze Cam Pan positioned on it so I can check the pH of the res from my couch, so that's what really ties it all together.

2CAA8EBB0D5B_1617922095343.png

20210408_161230.jpg
20210408_161148.jpg
20210408_161421.jpg
20210408_161525.jpg
20210408_161700.jpg
i like the idea of the camera to monitor the system. Not only can you check your monitor, you could catch an overflow disaster before it got real bad from afar :headbanger:

i like the idea of the camera to monitor the system. Not only can you check your monitor, you could catch an overflow disaster before it got real bad from afar :headbanger:
Nailed it! haha the reason I have a Wyze Cam Pan there is so that I can see the pH monitor, the res, and an entry door all from one camera. It worked out pretty well :p

Week 4 starts tomorrow, which means we'll be at max nute strength for veg! I'm expecting veg to last 6-8 weeks.

Question for anyone who knows -- I'm running out of Cultured Solutions coco cal, but I have some Botanicare Cal-Mag on hand. From the perspective of a nutrient mix, I would assume that cal-mag would be a pretty cut and dry formula. Is it okay if I deviate cal-mag brands? If not I can just get more coco cal.

Noticing some small spots on the leaf tips. Don't think it's nute burn, but it could be pH fluctuations, light, or heat stress. So I bumped up the humidity and turned off the blurple booster lights. I'm just using the Phlizon's full spectrum diodes at the moment until I figure this out. Meanwhile I'm on to week 4 nutes and I'll just be crossing my fingers that we don't have issues tbh

20210421_153851.jpg

Things have been fairly uneventful. I've been defoliating on an ongoing basis and probably doing a shitty job with LST. Since I'm so limited on space -- the contortion that I have had to do to get under the canopy is basically HST for myself. Pretty sure I supercropped my neck. o_O But pH buffers are working well and the plants are drinking and eating. I'm running nutes slightly low, but overall I'm happy with the rate of growth and I haven't seen any signs of burn or lockout on new growth for a few weeks. Week six starts today and vanity photos are below.

20210505_190348.jpg
20210505_185527.jpg
20210505_185955.jpg
20210505_190054.jpg

Back
Top Bottom