Temp curiosity

DSXJ

... What can I say it got the best of me.

So I have heard of many many mixed results about the "ideal" temperatures for cannabis.

I have heard of amazing grows and buds from temps that come in the 90's and even high 90's and also about bad ones. I also understand that when using high temps you should consider CO2 enrichment for maximum yield.

I am only asking because I am struggling to get my temp down, constantly fighting between 85-90. Sometimes she's even at 95. In all honesty, I feel like its amazing my temps are only at that point considering I'm running a 600w in a 48x24x60 tent ( lol ). I know the room is small and that is why, not my first time around the block.

My question really is, in California the outdoor temps range pretty high all season long, am I correct? So if cannabis plants survive a hot californian summer in the 85-90 temps, would my girls as well?

I have heard it is very strain specific that certain strains can with stand high temps and sativas are more likely to produce more in high temps than an indica that would produce low.

Anyway, my temp will fall as I get farther into the winter here as the outdoor temp plummets to -40.

There is zero ways for me to pull fresh air in because of the -40 temp without killing/shocking my plants right? lol.

The strain I am growing is GHS Super Critical and Jack Herrer. Both hybrids so it should be interesting. I will be keeping a journal with regular updates and temps to see how this goes.

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks -- J

Yea it is, 50/75/100.

Will I lose wattage if I dim it?

At 50% it holds the temp 75-80 (70 come night) which would suffice but don't really want to sacrifice wattage.

Gonna run 50% tonight when I put my seedlings in

Gonna run at 50% and get CO2 in the meantime so I can bump up to 100%.

Unless my outside temp drops in the next month or so I might be fine come mid/end of nov. Only time will tell, will run CO2 regardless.

1 Question about CO2.

Add some silicone to your nutrient mixture - that will help the plant to handle heat stress better.

You may very well yield more wieght and quality using less wattage and keeping the temperatures under control. Lots of very fine bud have been grown under 400W HPS lights... I have even done this myself in a similar space as yours. By burning the tops of the plant - you are restricting the growth of the most productive, and potent part of the plant. And the top of the plant is the hottest spot in the tent... typically. Keeping this part of the plant under 80 (without combining other advanced methods into your grow) is key to a good yield.

MMJ does love light... but indoors it grows best in a controlled environment.

At 50% I'm running right around 80 but mind you I only have 3 CPU fans and a regular house fan in the room. I am awaiting to purchase a better fan that would handle it, as well as a aircooled hood. I should have both by the time I start flower.

Anyway, seedlings are in and will take the silicon into consideration. Right now they are in sea soil blood bone meal, and perlite.

First time using sea soil but I have heard GREAT things.

Also, do you know how many watts my light would be putting out at 50%? I would assume 300, the plants I have in my profile picture were all done on a 400w.

Starting journal now.

Unless I am wrong - sea soil has lots of silicon in it. No need to provide additional, should have asked before I recommended. You can check the bag - it is usually listed as a non-plant food ingredient... silly labeling laws.

With HPS - a little more than 300W, but nothing worth noting. For that space - I would find a way to keep the top of the canopy under 82 while running the light at 75%. That is a very good amount of light for that space - and a nice compromise on your goals.

Once you get better ventilation and control of the environment - crank that baby up!

Gotcha, I'll be SCRoGing this so hopefully I'll be able to keep the canopy low. :)

Back
Top Bottom