Tenant Insurance?

odam2k

It's time to renew our renters insurance, and the insurance company (CAA) wants a letter from my doctor explaining why I am growing my own pot. Apparently,, they approve coverage based on individual cases...

I say bullshit, all they need is proof that I am allowed to grow X # of plants... how would my illness affect their risk assessment? I could understand sending out an inspector (not that I'd be happy with that either) or looking at some factor that is about risk, not just being nosey..

What experiences have others had?

Did it affect your rate much?

Did you need a note from your doctor? (sounds so childish)

There are 3 types of insurance in the rental market, if there is a condo element.

1 The Condo insures all the common elements
2 The owner of the apartment should carry insurance to bring repair/replacement standards up to what you have vs builder basic finishes
3 The tenant should insure contents / possessions and have some personal liability coverage.

No sure why a company providing 3 only needs any of the medical cannabis information.

Question I have is does your lease have any clauses in it about growing or consuming cannabis in the rental unit?

There are 3 types of insurance in the rental market, if there is a condo element.

1 The Condo insures all the common elements
2 The owner of the apartment should carry insurance to bring repair/replacement standards up to what you have vs builder basic finishes
3 The tenant should insure contents / possessions and have some personal liability coverage.

No sure why a company providing 3 only needs any of the medical cannabis information.

Question I have is does your lease have any clauses in it about growing or consuming cannabis in the rental unit?

Correct, the lease does not allow use or cultivation for recreational purposes, but allows for medical growing and use by virtue of the ontario human rights code.

Wow, what a paranoid bunch over a few plants.... got this from my broker:

So I have inquired about this and it has been advised that legally you can only have 4 plants grown in the dwelling.
Having 20 plants will void any insurance you have and I will legally have to inform the insurance company since it has been noted.
In order to keep insurance I will need confirmation that there are only 4 plants in the residence.
If you have received legally permission to grow more than that amount allowed than please forward that to me.
Please advise me as I am now legally obligated to inform your current provider. CAA will not take the risk with 20 plants.

I had already told her I could send my Health Canada registrations, and that we ARE legal, but CYA is top priority apparently... Shoot first, ask questions later...

Ok so you have the documentation to prove you can legally grow > 4. I remember when you did your renewal.

They may not know the formulas for medical grows. So this should resolve itself quickly yes?

How to they know you have any plants at all?

Ok so you have the documentation to prove you can legally grow > 4. I remember when you did your renewal.

They may not know the formulas for medical grows. So this should resolve itself quickly yes?

How to they know you have any plants at all?

Well, I told them... LOL

Our lease is up for renewal end of this month, and we are renewing...

When we moved in, there was nothing in the lease about cannabis, medical or recreational, since it was not legal for rec at the time. The first thing I did when we moved in was to ask to have the door sealed as air tight as possible, since we were medical cannabis users, and did not want to have the smell leave the apt and bother others...

When I set up the grow here, I did not inform the apt management company, however, at one point the super was in the apt with a pest control technician (they were doing the whole building) and he was pretty cool (he's not here any more) so I held my breath as I opened the door and let him in... He was pretty impressed, apparently one of the cleanest, safest looking grows he's seen here... Anyhow, that was the extent of their knowledge of my growing...

Then, when pot was legalized, they taped a notice to everyone's door stating that smoking and cultivating would NOT be allowed anywhere in, or on the premises, including your own apartment, UNLESS it was Medical, and they would exempt you based on the Ontario Human Rights code or something like that... If you wish to grow, you need to inform management. It also stated this was a change to the lease agreement, effective immediately...

Well, I did not inform them (again) as I don't believe they can "change my lease" by taping a piece of paper to my door. There is no proof I received it, or read it, and I certainly didn't sign anything... does that mean I can post a notice on THEIR door saying my rent is dropping to $1 per month as per my newly modified lease, effective immediately? I don't think so...

So, now we're at the point where we will be signing a new lease at the end of the month, and it DOES spell that out in the lease, and I'll have to sign it... That means we need to disclose the grow, and I want to make sure I'm prepared for them asking for proof I am insured, and possibly even wanting to do an onsite inspection, either of which I am ok with.

My point is, I'm doing nothing illegal, so this should all just pass with barely a hiccup, but I have anxiety issues, and this has really got me worked up :(

We debated whether to just keep our mouths shut and renew both our old insurance policy and the lease agreement as they are, and hope for the best... We decided that since we aren't doing anything wrong, it isn't worth the headaches and anxiety over trying to make sure they don't find out...

I just don't think this should be an issue, there have been medical grows for many years now, yet it seems they are not very experienced at this. I don't understand why the insurance company would need to analyse the risk on an individual scale, especially based on a doctors note, since a doctors note does not mean it's a legal grow, and I'm sure they won't insure illegal grows knowingly... I should only need to prove it is legal (which I did) and they should reply back saying, Ok, it will cost this much... They should already have a scale, say 1-4 plants is $x per year, 5-20 is $y, 21-50 is $z etc...

I think your approach is sound. You are not obligated to sign a new lease though. You have the right to switch to month to month. Ontario Tenant laws say this.

I remain puzzled why an insurer of Tenant content would be concerned about any plants. If there is a fire, or a mold problem - which I doubt - their policy isnt responsible for those damages.

Back
Top Bottom