Tent Seed Grow - Blue Mysteries

endive

Hi everyone, :welcome:

You've heard the term "bag-seed," I have tent seed. I grew 5 feminized Blue Mystic (supposed autos), all 5 were female for most of the time. Fast forward to the end... by the time the last nugget was finished and the residue in the jar was all that remained, we had accumulated 13 seeds, most, if not all, from one plant.

We just germinated the two smallest, palest of the seeds. They cracked by the next day, and by the 3rd & 4th day were official sprouts. Actually I was trying to get the fattest darkest seeds, but in tweezing out the big ones, two of the lil' runts just rolled out of the container onto the counter. I took it as fate, and planted them. :wood:

I name thee "Blue Mysteries!"
DSC04053Day2-533x400.jpg

Our first in-house-bred seeds eagerly sprout,
as 2 of the 13 collected, seeds are planted in soil and take root...

I have no idea what we'll get from these seeds. If they are anything like their predecessors, it'll be well worth it. The parents displayed an almost extreme heterosis in vegetative growth, a trait which would be somewhat diminished in their offspring, as they were an "inbred" pollination. A self-pollenation from an already hybridized strain could prove interesting so long as we don't get any extreme hermaphroditism.

:morenutes:

We also have 2 - Jock Horror x ShortRider crosses at week 4 from seed, 18/6 lighting. Two differing phenotypes, though no signs of an auto-flower trait.
DSC04045-533x400.jpg

Jock #1, the thick, dense bush... Visually, very Indica dominant.

DSC04043-533x400.jpg

Jock #2, a sprawling, branchy tree... More along the Sativa dominant traits of a Jock Horror
:yummy:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

While we're waiting on the Blue Mysteries to get to a more interesting point to follow... :sleep:

Here is some filler + thriller: :morenutes:

These are 2 Nirvana Blackberry in a 4.5 gal Bubbleponix set-up.
Currently Week 11 from seed, day 31 of Bloom.
The screen is about 34" x 18".

DSC04070.jpg

A prism like array of LED and CFL light spreads across the canopy.

This is BB #2. Her buds are about 15% smaller than BB #1′s are, but the trichome (resin) production is noticeably higher. There is still a lot of time left till the finish, and I expect much more growth prior to the last week or two.
DSC04073.jpg

The undersides of the colas on BB# 2, reveal a forest of trichomes.

The hardest part I'm having now is the decision & action of trimming fan leaves from the young buds to allow more overall light in to the canopy.
DSC04071.jpg

Perhaps I left a too much lower growth...Oh well, If it looked dense, I left it.

Beyond the contrasts I stated earlier, both plants are for the most part, very similar in appearance to the casual looker. Their aromas are nearly identical, I really have to focus in to tell the difference. The buds are pretty shaggy, as a higher leaf to calyx ratio they appear to have, it could also just be that the calyxes have yet to swell & mature. Either way with their current trichome production, I'm not too worried.

Side by side it's hard to tell the two plant's buds apart.

:peace:

Re: Tent Seed Grow: 'Blue Mysteries'

It will be several weeks before out, before our two darling Blue Mysteries are ready for the Bloom-Room, but none-the-less the new Bloom-Room will be ready for them.

2011-05-19_12-04-30_136ReVo.jpg

To be installed soon...

2011-05-19_12-07-47_15ballast.jpg

A little more intimidating than LEDs, but I'll tough it out.

Hi fellow 420'erz, just a quick update...

Day 35 Bloom... The flowers have gained considerable mass & volume in the last 5 days. It will be interesting to watch over the next few as they adjust to the new light source.

Saturday was spent setting up the Bloom-Room with the light mover, 600w HPS and air-cooled tube & ducting.

DSC04077.jpg

Behold, the new 600w HSP on a mover! Holy Schnike, that's bright!

DSC04083.jpg

The girls seem to love the new HPS lighting, but LEDs make for cooler looking pictures​

Everything is going really smoothly. The air temp reads 81ºF, but feels cooler than when I had 160w of CFLs in there. I'm blown away at how well the duct-booster fan works for cooling the HPS.

Just realize that I'll need to keep an eye on, and possibly adjust the nutrients as after only one day under the HPS, I can tell they are now sucking down water at a faster pace.

Meanwhile, the Pro-Grow LED is moving into the Veg-Tent to be a dual workhorse, as we'll be sprouting some Northern Light Auto-Flowers in the next day or so to bloom along side seedlings & cuttings. If I can, why not bloom in both rooms?

Hope everyone is dong well! :peace:

Those girls are looking quite nice my friend. I bet they love that new 600 watt light and will explode with new growth! I can't wait to see how the Blue mysteries will turn out either

Great Job and :bravo:

Hope you don't mind another visitor endive, great setup!

Looks like that LED was keeping the growth really tight.

...Horse, you beat me to this one :).

Hope you don't mind another visitor endive, great setup!

Looks like that LED was keeping the growth really tight.

...Horse, you beat me to this one :).

The more the merrier! Welcome Dirt!!!

Even after 2.5 grows, I'm still learning & experimenting with the LED set I have. Distance from the canopy has been a moving target from strain to strain, and thus reading the plants needs is an on going process.

Learning to "control the stretch" could be the title of my last learned lesson. From the supposed Sativa dominance, through the transition to bloom under the induction lighting and then on to LEDs, I really thought I'd see a great deal of stretch, though there was little. Now, in hindsight I think if I'd raised the PG-180 panel from its respective 10" distance to about 18", I could have forced more vertical growth.

It will be interesting to see what happens over their first four days under 12/12 of HPS.

The current chaos...

New project plants started:
DSC04086.jpg

2 Northern Light Autoflower seeds are go! Chose the two chubby ones in the center.

Meanwhile, growth (even prior to the HPS) has been exploding:
DSC04095-HPS24.jpg

This morning (above)
Close to doubling in size over 5 days
5 days ago (below)
DSC04072.jpg

Day 31 Bloom​

I'm excited to see how the remaining 4-5 weeks go... :morenutes:

Meanwhile, back in the Veg-Tent

DSC04098.jpg

The Veg-Tent. (left to right):
Jock Horror A #2, The 2 Blue Mysteries, White plastic dish - Cuttings from the Jocks, The other two (sickly looking ones) are cuttings from the blackberries.

:peace:

The more the merrier! Welcome Dirt!!!

Even after 2.5 grows, I'm still learning & experimenting with the LED set I have. Distance from the canopy has been a moving target from strain to strain, and thus reading the plants needs is an on going process.

Learning to "control the stretch" could be the title of my last learned lesson. From the supposed Sativa dominance, through the transition to bloom under the induction lighting and then on to LEDs, I really thought I'd see a great deal of stretch, though there was little. Now, in hindsight I think if I'd raised the PG-180 panel from its respective 10" distance to about 18", I could have forced more vertical growth.

It will be interesting to see what happens over their first four days under 12/12 of HPS.

Funny, I was just talking about light heights and controlling stretch in my journal with CFLs. It is great to know where the sweet-spot is and be able to have some control on the plants growth. I know if I put my lights 6" away, the plants will stretch ~1" quickly, then slow down. When I put it at 1-2" they almost stall vertically and then shoot outward.

Your plants look very healthy and happy. I love how wide the buds are growing and how big the pistils are. To me it seems like the pistils are the indicators as to how large the buds will grow to at maturity. Now the fact if that is even remotely true stands to be discovered :rofl:. Guess it's like any other "Old wives' tale" :).

Either way...:nicethread: and good luck with the autos!

Looking good brother, welcome to the 600w Club :party:

With so much going on, it is easy to get lost in it all.
Focusing back to the Blue Mystery seedlings...

Much like their Blue Mystic parent(s), both Blue Mystery seedlings display the same purplish markings on the center portions of the young leaves.

2011-05-24_12-21-45_405-purps.jpg

Day 10 and they are looking great!

Below is a shot of the Mother (Blue Mystic) of the seeds...
DSC02868-LwR-purps.jpg

11/18/2010 "Mom" at about Day 15 - A little further along and with more intense markings, but the family resemblance is uncanny.

Man I didnt even see you had another grow going!!:thumb::thumb: Looking great brother:yummy::yummy: That blue mystery mother is crazy looking!!! i am subbbed:popcorn::popcorn:Glad to see you joining the HID side!!!:high-five::high-five:

Hay Endive, I hate to be the one to tell you, but this is not blue ;)

DSC02868-LwR-purps.jpg

But that sure is crazy for such a young 'un :yummy:

Man I didnt even see you had another grow going!!:thumb::thumb: Looking great brother:yummy::yummy: That blue mystery mother is crazy looking!!! i am subbbed:popcorn::popcorn:Glad to see you joining the HID side!!!:high-five::high-five:

Yeah those Blue Mystics were something. I had really hoped she would get all colorful when she bloomed too, but no dice. She did leave me with some seeds to try all over again :yummy:!

I figure a little HID here and I can bloom in the Bloom-Room, a little LED there and I can bloom in the Veg-Tent too (Well, autos anyway)! One thing I do love about the P-G LEDs is they can go from bean to bud, no problem! Got me to thinking...
:idea: *ouch my brains!*
Why not run a continual auto or two, maybe staggered on a perpetual cycle, right along side my seedlings and clones? Worst scenario, the autos get too big & beautiful and must be chopped,dried & cured. :)

Repost of 1st post.

Sadly, the images in my first post of this thread got hosed, and I couldn't "edit" it any longer. Just for posterity, here is that same post, same images but with non-threatening 420mag hosting. Just pretend it's on the first page...

You've heard the term "bag-seed," I have tent seed. I grew 5 feminized Blue Mystic (supposed autos), all 5 were female for most of the time. Fast forward to the end... by the time the last nugget was finished and the residue in the jar was all that remained, we had accumulated 13 seeds, most, if not all, from one plant.

We just germinated the two smallest, palest of the seeds. They cracked by the next day, and by the 3rd & 4th day were official sprouts. Actually I was trying to get the fattest darkest seeds, but in tweezing out the big ones, two of the lil' runts just rolled out of the container onto the counter. I took it as fate, and planted them. :wood:

I name thee "Blue Mysteries!"
DSC04053Day2.jpg
[/IMG]
Our first in-house-bred seeds eagerly sprout,
as 2 of the 13 collected, seeds are planted in soil and take root...

I have no idea what we'll get from these seeds. If they are anything like their predecessors, it'll be well worth it. The parents displayed an almost extreme heterosis in vegetative growth, a trait which would be somewhat diminished in their offspring, as they were an "inbred" pollination. A self-pollenation from an already hybridized strain could prove interesting so long as we don't get any extreme hermaphroditism.

We also have 2 - Jock Horror x ShortRider crosses at week 4 from seed, 18/6 lighting. Two differing phenotypes, though no signs of an auto-flower trait.
DSC040451.jpg

Jock #1, the thick, dense bush... Visually, very Indica dominant.

DSC040431.jpg

Jock #2, a sprawling, branchy tree... More along the Sativa dominant traits of a Jock Horror
:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom