Tents good or bad?

ol hippy

Am considering buying a 4x4 grow tent and was looking for some input. What are the problems and what are the pluses for tents . Anyone care to rate them or sugjest any certan brand ? Thanks guys :peace:

Re: Tents good or bad ?

Thanks 1stworks, I'm still up in the air, I'm growing in a small closet right now and it sucks! Need more room maybe have to frame out part of my guest bedroom ! :peace:

hey ol hippy, I read your other post about maybe using your spare room vs a tent. I give tents the thumbs up. With proper ventilation they keep temps down. As with any room or space without ventilation things will get warm. If you keep things say 4x4 in a big room it will stay cool, but if you go 10x12 4-6 HID lights that room will get hot. I got a kit from bghyrdo that was really reasonable. One of the GrowLabs. There are some minor things that could be tweaked like covering up pinhole light leaks (it doesn't hurt the flowering one bit esp if the room the tent is in is dark). Light holes are easily covered with some silicon and a fabric patch. Plus you can get a small tent for vegging or cloning, and keep it in the same room.

I am running a 600w HPS, and over 400w CFL's. Stays at 80 with all cfl's running with no main exhaust running. Turning on the HPS and exhaust it drops down to low 70's. Just with the HPS it gets even lower. Tent is in a bigger room so it vents into that room. My tent is 2'7" x 4'11"x6'7". Holds 4-6 buckets no problem. I went with a tent to avoid construction and am happy with my choice. Tents take about under an hour to break down and they can be set up in a new place in the same amount of time.

Tents provide a nice prefabbed container to grow in. If you don't want to construct anything other then move garden into 10x12 room then that door and room have to be locked for concealment and would be harder to control the smell if it is any issue. A tent in that same room anyone can walk into the room and see a tent but not see anything, and the smell would be filtered more since the filter is cleaning a smaller space. I am happy with my tent and for the cost vs construction cost it was a no brainer. If ultimate strength is desired nothing like building it. Tents hold around 100lbs. Tent is lined in silver, nice big zippers, windows not used but cool, three sided access if room is avail, holes for vents up at least 6" maybe 8" (4 of them), bottom vent flaps with velcro, and 2 or 3 cord holes. So the tent is flexible as to work with most spaces for getting air and power. I got the kit setup so I put it together and threw in the plants and I was off and growing.

What type of ideas do you have for a tent set up.. How much lighting?

Not meaning a long post but sharing my thoughts.

I am using a 4x8 GrowLabs 120L. I like it a lot. The tent itself is well made. The frame is a little too light duty for my taste. As soon as my current grow is done I will be building a new frame. The benefits to a tent is they are ready to grow out of the box. Add your lighting and fans and you are ready for plants. The inside of mine is mylar so plenty of reflection. The down side is you are limited on headroom, they can be expensive, frames can be cheesy, etc. For my attic grow framing in a room was not really a viable option. The tent fit the need perfectly. I will likely get another smaller one for vegging and cloning. They work well for me.

Thanks Frosty, Screwnuts, I was really into getting a tent but had a few doubts. If I get the tent it will probably go into my office room (bedroom for pc fax etc) It wouls still allow me to get around the tent if needed. I have a 400hps now and a pile of cfls, but would like to add a 600 w hps for the tent. What size exhaust fans would be needed and would I need 2 large fans 1 for the light and 1 for the room plus one to pull air into the room ? Any brand better than another ? I was thinking about grow lab 120L or 150L ? Thanks for the great info guys !! :peace:

O-H,
I have thr GrowLab 4x8 120L. I am running two 600's and two 4ft 8-bulb T5's. I have a 6" fan for the lights, a 6" fan for fresh air intake, and a 6" fan for exhaust. I also have a small fan blowing 24/7 to keep the plants strong and the air circulating. I also have a small space heater setup to come on during lights out should temps drop too low. Check out my journal from the begining and you can see my setup. A tent would be perfect for your office/bedroom space.

Mr Mojo has a nice pic of his setup in the Bubble section. I run one 6 inch vortex fan sucking air thru a 6" cone style air filter attached to one end of my light hood inside tent (hf radiant 6) 6" vent holes, then run duct to the fan and then a short piece from the fan out of the grow tent. This creates a negative pressure inside of my tent always drawing air into the tent thru the vents (cheap way). I run the GL80L. I think you would have great success with a tent in your office. That way your tent can exchange air with the larger office. With the 120 you'd be able to run your 400 and future 600. I ran the cone filter to avoid the 2 fan setup. If I had the money to spend on another can fan filter setup I would run air from outside the tent thru the lights and back out, I know someone doing this running 2x1000 HPS in the 4x8 tent, and temps are not an issue. As I mentioned I bought the kit from bghydro. I used the can fan/filter setup on a smaller Homebox, which houses my moms and babies. So I got the 6in fan setup for my big tent because the light reflector was big.

Wow thanks guys a lot of great ideas here ,now I just need to get my ass back to work ! Half day today barely enough to cover my weed jones..I've got a few catalogs today I can get a few more ideas about the fans and tent options. Thanks again for the input , this might just be the right thing to get my lady out of the closet !! :rofl:

I have a 6.4' x 6.4' x 6.4' grow tent on ebay for $185. It didnt come with instructions or the most sturdy materials in the world but I am going to be moving to a more permanent residence where I will build my own space with 2x4s and mylar. I think the wood would be much sturdier than the cheap aluminum poles that come with it. So I say if you have a place you will be living at for some time save yourself the money and just build one of higher quality.

hey ol hippy, those gkids are a good reason for a tent. Unless you wanna be known as the grampa that never "lets kids go downstairs, or in that one room". With a tent, stuff will be concealed. All except for the noise of the fan. Tiny pinhole lights from where the needle went through the canvas will not get attention like the blazing light leaks from doors.

Unless your going commercial, I think a tent will be what you looking for. It's mobile so like what FPF was running into (guests), just empty out tent breakdown, move to new room, set up, plug in be done. I hear people talk about heat but thats cause they don't know what they are doing or are not venting the heat, or both. I could grow in a closet but it would heat up unlike my tent. I can't vent my closet, not tearing up drywall to vent, so I would have to manually open and close the door. Pain in the rear on 12/12. Any enclosed space needs ventilation, don't care if its a tent or closet. Oscillating fans just move air around plants, exhaust and intake fans provide the air for the enclosed space.

If you have a totally empty spare room use it to grow, but most people I know are lacking on space. Just gotta be for plants only cause once 12/12 hits ain't no going in with the lights off to get kids toys, or jacket etc..

I see a good 50 - 50 split in opinions on tents. I've seen many a new post or thread on an other site that said TOSSING THE TENT, and it was always because of HEAT and too small a space. And I have seen many new growers post I LOVE MY NEW TENT.

If you have ever ran into growers Major Tom or Monday Murphy at other sites (Major Tom is a member here but seldom visits) they both want to get rid of their tents, or did get rid of them.

Well I found a place in Goleta that has a great selection of hydro equip and have some pretty good package deals. They have a 2x4 tent thats perfect . The 4x4s wouldn't fit very well .Witha 4" vortex fan a diy charcoal filter and my 400 w hps I should be golden. I still could use my closet for vegging . If things work out I would build an 8x10 shed out back easy to do add a heater and small a/c and it would be a year round grow setup.Now I just need to get my ass back to work ! Next wk the Central Coast of Ca is gonna be hurtin !! over a wk of storms lined up with up to 20 inches of rain in the mountains where they just had a horrible fire.. Start prayen for the coast guys there gonna need it.. right after your prayers for Haiti !!:peace:

ol hippy, looks like you've got some good ideas. You have the ventilation planned for and all the items your looking at will work great together. :goodjob:

Just as long as you nail the ventilation you'll love it. Not sure why people have such a hard time keeping heat out of enclosed spaces. Just gotta remember it don't matter if it is a 4x4x6 room or 4x4x6 tent, throw in a 1000 watt Hid with no vents, it's gonna get hot. Look at the people having success with the tents and they have some good ventilation, better then most non-tent growers.

This rains starting to get to me, no work and I don't like spending money when nones comming in so I just stay home and stay high !! WTF could be worse I could be outta weed ! :peace:

This rains starting to get to me, no work and I don't like spending money when nones comming in so I just stay home and stay high !! WTF could be worse I could be outta weed ! :peace:

Enjoy the rain and the high!!!

We dont get much rain here in Colorado just lots of sun...

:grinjoint:

I got a 6.5x6.5x6.5 ft. tent and am using it now ith gret success. And the best part is i got it brand new in the box for $175! As compared to tents of similar size it saved me 600 or so. Google a company named Sky Enterprises thats where i got it and they do internet ordering here in CA. Its a huge tent, ive only grown six plants in it at a time and at max size there was still a rediculous amount of room to move around and i can stand straight up in it its great. Also this tent wont kill your plants so theres no risks. its a perfect tent for an unbelievable price. plus it has like 8 ports for venting or whatever you wanna use em for. and when theyre not being used they seal up well. good luck

Back
Top Bottom