Report here says Calcium is 292ppm and Magnesium is 2.4ppm.

Maybe I'll have to start putting the water through a basic filter at least. Definitely going to try nutrients made for hard water though and see what difference that makes.
Wow!! 292ppm
Yeah that magnesium level is a non starter compared with the calcium.
One way is to filter, another is buy water...or just upping mono mag levels with the calcium to a 3:1 ratio may work also.

This is what I've been throwing around in my head for the past week, I'm having trouble getting my exact water report but I guessing it's very similar to yours.

Wow!! 292ppm
Yeah that magnesium level is a non starter compared with the calcium.
One way is to filter, another is buy water...or just upping mono mag levels with the calcium to a 3:1 ratio may work also.

This is what I've been throwing around in my head for the past week, I'm having trouble getting my exact water report but I guessing it's very similar to yours.
Might just try a standard jug filter and see what difference that makes to the ppm. Should only need 5 litres every couple of days so that wouldn't be too much of a pain and a cheap solution possibly.

I thought maybe one of them would come down this weekend but they're getting longer. So close. It's killing me. :laugh:

PXL_20220507_230954154.NIGHT~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_230751049~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_230818183~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_230837247~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_230850230~2.jpg
PXL_20220507_230904794~2.jpg
Good God those plants are gorgeous!

NTH

A Brita-type filter won't reduce much/any of the calcium. It does look like most of the calcium in your water is temporary hardness, meaning it's matched with carbonates/bicarbonates. Temporary hardness can be removed by boiling. When the water boils for 10-15 minutes you'll see the chalk fall to the bottom of the pot. Rack the water off the solids and you'll reduce your calcium significantly. You can check PPM before and after to know about how much.

You can also use lime (calcium hydroxide) to raise the pH to precipitate the calcium, then rack off the solids and use acid to lower the pH back down. Google 'reducing temporary hardness' for details.

A Brita-type filter won't reduce much/any of the calcium. It does look like most of the calcium in your water is temporary hardness, meaning it's matched with carbonates/bicarbonates. Temporary hardness can be removed by boiling. When the water boils for 10-15 minutes you'll see the chalk fall to the bottom of the pot. Rack the water off the solids and you'll reduce your calcium significantly. You can check PPM before and after to know about how much.

You can also use lime (calcium hydroxide) to raise the pH to precipitate the calcium, then rack off the solids and use acid to lower the pH back down. Google 'reducing temporary hardness' for details.
Damn it. I did read that boiling can help but it seems like more of a faff and I'll have to do it late at night or the kids will be asking why I'm always boiling pans of water. :laugh:

That explains what happens to my kettle when I make tea.

Thanks for that valuable info, seems a very simplistic solution when someone with the knowledge drops it on us....it's great to have people like yourself around.
oooh yeah could possibly boil a kettle then pour it slowly and hope most of the crap stays in the bottom. Easy enough to test.

Sounding like a much simpler remedy...just gotta make sure the kettle is relatively descaled or it'll most probably put more calcium back into the water than remove.:laugh:
The remedy to that is to boil the water in a non-metal container. Duh! :straightface:

Ceramic, heat proof glass.
Silly question incoming maybe;
Do Americans have kettles to boil water?

I know aussies used to call them water jugs...I've seen prisoner cell block H.
To be honest Americans have become accustomed to boiling it with the H valve. But yes many ways here to get a “vessel” to boil water in.

I’m really interested in learning about the Aussie “rural” way of life though. And I mean that sincerely. Heard it was the Number 1 continent for Marines going AWOL so it has always interested me.

NTH

Back
Top Bottom