Texas: State's Medical Marijuana Rule Takes Effect

Robert Celt

Texas officials are in the process of figuring out an administrative system for the state's medical marijuana program.

Last year, Governor Greg Abbott signed the Compassionate Use Act into law.

It allows people with intractable epilepsy, whose seizures cannot be controlled with traditional drugs, to take a medical marijuana oil.

The state estimates they will license the first medical marijuana dispenser or distributor during the summer of 2017.

But organizations may start applying as early as this summer.

"I was excited about it," said Corey Mendes, describing his feeling when he first found out the act passed.

He is the deputy director of a legalization advocacy group — the southeast Texas chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws or NORML.

They meet monthly at the Logon Cafe in Beaumont.

That is where 12News met with Mendes who said it will be difficult to become a medical-marijuana-dispensing organization under this law.

"Some very stringent requirements to get into it," Mendes said. "It's not just like something where you go, OK I'm going to apply for a license; I have the ability of doing this. I want to grow this ... Let me plant this — it'll be a long process."

Among the requirements to apply, you must list the names, date of births and addresses for all employees and disclose their criminal history.

You must also have the financial ability to maintain operations for two years from the date of application. There is also a $6,000 application fee. It is the same amount to renew a dispensing license every other year.

Mendes said quite a few NORML members were interested in dispensing medical marijuana.

"(But) as they went along and heard all the stuff that went along involved in it, I think... It complicated their interest," Mendes said.

However, he tells 12News if more people grow marijuana, even for recreational purposes, which is illegal in Texas, it will be an economic boost.

As for the type of medical marijuana issued, it will be a low THC cannabis dosage. This means the chemical responsible for getting users "high" will be low.

Low-THC.png

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Texas: State's Medical Marijuana Rule Takes Effect
Author: Rebeca Trejo
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom