Latitude: 18°47'25"N

DAY. SUNRISE. SUNSET. DAY LENGTH
12/21 6:52a 5:52p 11h0m

03/13 6:34a 6:33p 11h59m7s
03/14 6:33a 6:33p 12h0m12s
03/15 6:32a 6:33p 12h1m17s

03/21 6:27a 6:35p 12h7m43s

06/21 5:47a 7:03p 13h15m44s

So daylength ranges from 11 hours in Dec.to 13.25 hours in June.

I chose Chang Mai because it's in the northern mountains, and when I conjure images of a Thai garden there always seems to be lush green mountains in the background. Bangkok, about 700 km (~450 miles) south, is much closer to straight 12/12. The latitude of the southern border of Thailand is about 6°N.

(Data from dateandtime.info)

Cool...

Thanks for all the info everybody it helps. I guess as soon as I get the grow unit opened up above them (2 weeks at most) I'll put them under 13.25/10.75 and get it going. Two of the three Thai seeds were above the soil yesterday I'll check them again today.

I thought for sure when I moved that little piece of perlite that the last seedling would show in this pic. It's there; you just can't see it :)

017561.JPG

Happy to summarize the day length info. It's part of my research while planning for my upcoming haze grow.

I have No experience, and I have read what seem to be strong arguments for using very long light periods for veg, and a sudden switch to 12/12 or less.

I have also seen tantalizing results from people using light schedules that more closely simulates what occurs in the tropics, the native environment of most of the famous landraces.

I would love to get my hands on some native soil analyses for the Thai highlands and other places of interest. What sort of variations are found in the soil food web in places where marijuana grows most vigorously, and with the best result?

What are the sources, and the levels in the soil of calcium, magnesium, nitrogen, etc, in soils where put favourite landraces grew up to be famous? I'm not suggesting that the native soils can compete with the soil innovations of commercial and connoisseur growers, but if you wish to recreate a trip from your (presumably ) misspent youth, soil profiles might be worth looking at.

I don't know whether simulating the natural lighting schedule will give the best results, but it seems to me that it would be a good place to start. I don't even know if there is a big difference in results if you plant a marijuana seed at different times of the year. If weed grows better in the summer or winter near Chiang Mai, I suspect it has more to do with rainfall changes than with lighting.

Climate: Chiang Mai - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table - Climate-Data.org

In Chiang Mai, rainfall varies from less than 1/2 an inch (7mm) in Feb to over 8 inches (241 mm) in Sep. The warmest month of the year is May, with an average temp of 28.5°C (83°F) and the coolest is Jan at 20.8°C/69.4°F.

If you had a private plot of land in the Thai highlands, and just a handful of seeds, when would be the optimal time of year to plant?

And what month of the year would the native seeds be most likely to sprout? :cheesygrinsmiley:

A wet September, eh? Would that imply that the strain is mold resistant? It's unlikely that it would have matured by then, isn't it? Actually, wouldn't seeds sprout on a regular basis in that climate? So, a plot of it would have vegging plants of many ages, and then, depending on maturity, they'd begin to flower at a certain daylength ... and it blooms for 4+ months ...

Interesting. :hmmmm:

[Edit] I bet it matures in Jan/Feb. It would be nice and cool and dry then, and the monsoons would come just before bloom. Then new seeds sprout in Feb/Mar and the cycle begins again. :cheesygrinsmiley: And that would mean that the strain exists all year round basically, making maturity a big factor, like you said Rascio. I bet a really long veg time would help a lot. And on my journal I was just talking about a heavily topped Tangering Dream I grew. That redestributed the growth hormones over several tops and the crazy strechiness went away. If we could veg and train these wild strain for a longer time in veg, I think we could get more out of them.

Chimp you've had a lot more experience with Sativas than I have maybe the lighting schedule isn't so critical. Sorry for the confusion but I really want to se you succeed with the Thai Stick it will make my next grow of Thai stick easier if you have a successful grow.
My current grow is just starting and I'll be in it for four months, I have 6 seeds that cracked and all are in some peat just waitin for them to pop. The strains are OG Kush, Blue dream, Granddaddy Purple, and Ultimate purple.

And what month of the year would the native seeds be most likely to sprout? :cheesygrinsmiley:

A wet September, eh? Would that imply that the strain is mold resistant? It's unlikely that it would have matured by then, isn't it? Actually, wouldn't seeds sprout on a regular basis in that climate? So, a plot of it would have vegging plants of many ages, and then, depending on maturity, they'd begin to flower at a certain daylength ... and it blooms for 4+ months ...

Interesting. :hmmmm:

[Edit] I bet it matures in Jan/Feb. It would be nice and cool and dry then, and the monsoons would come just before bloom. Then new seeds sprout in Feb/Mar and the cycle begins again. :cheesygrinsmiley: And that would mean that the strain exists all year round basically, making maturity a big factor, like you said Rascio. I bet a really long veg time would help a lot. And on my journal I was just talking about a heavily topped Tangering Dream I grew. That redestributed the growth hormones over several tops and the crazy strechiness went away. If we could veg and train these wild strain for a longer time in veg, I think we could get more out of them.

I remember getting freshly harvested and dried herb in Thailand in January. I was in Prachuap at the time, first nice area I would generally flee to, south of Bangkok. I'd spent a lot of time in Thailand on other trips but this was my brother's second day there ever. One of the lads I met in the village we were staying in had walked out to wherever his garden/stash was in the bush, and two hours later appeared with a cloth wrap full of 18" branches covered with small brownish buds. He told us it had just been harvested last week. We climbed up the big hill there to the temple and smoked some. I told my brother who was feeling a bit out of his depth, " Don't worry, the local herb is usually pretty mild". Famous last words, lol. We were nearly hallucinating. For my bro, the whole place looked like a hallucination! Had a lovely evening though, one of my best memories.

I am currently growing some Mama Thai, which is supposedly a 100% sativa landrace (?).
Edit- maybe landrace is wrong. It sounds like they at least did some selective breeding for the best phenotype. I think I'm going to contact the breeder and see if I can get some more info on it.
I flowered mine, or rather - put it in the flowering room, when it was 4 to 6 inches high, with one topping and some lst, put it under a scrog under 12/12 and it's getting to be a few weeks from harvest now. The plants ended up each filling about a 16 x 16" area with quite a lot of bud. Next time around I will veg it longer I was just a bit frightened of what I was going to get. Zero problems flowering it under 12/12 once it hit maturity and no signs of hermaphroditism as I thought there might be in this sativa.

Mama Thai looks promising. :thumb:

They actually call it a landrace, but also say they interbred faster phenos, so it would actually be an InBred Line - IBL.

11 weeks? Nice! Does yours look like the pic on s-dfinder?

I had to go look that up. Hmmm... Yes and no. Mine is scrogged and I also tried LA's back building technique on it. Maybe because of that the buds are very fat and round. Some of them are way bigger than I expected. They are fluffy- but...big. I expected small stringy buds. Tell the truth though I didn't know quite what to expect since I'd never grown a sativa indoors. I could post a pic in a few days if it's not polluting your journal Potchimp. If I keep growing the MT I may start a journal of my own to contribute, because I could never find much info on it online.

Back
Top Bottom