ThatOneGuyy's First Lemon Skunk Indoor Grow

Mini Update: So a few things to go over. When I chopped my plants, the buds were pretty dense. They softened up after I cut and it stayed that way.

I also think I left to hang for too long. Some buds are slightly brittle which kinda disappoints me. The growing part was fine but the trim+ Dry and cure seems like I messed up. They are still frosty but I just don't like the way they feel.

The bud that I jarred I ended up with a little over 2oz and I didn't weigh the Trim/Shake but I think I ended up with about an oz worth maybe more. I am gonna let them cure for a few and I will get a smoke report soon.

If anyone has any suggestion as to what I did wrong please enlighten me. I am stumped. I will get some pics up so you guys can see it.

So here is the Jar I put it in. I am a bit frustrated but it is very frosty still.

IMG_16136.JPG

The jar looks great with the nugs in place. I have never grown LS to tell you if the strain itself have dense nugs. But from what I've seen with multiple strains grow is that some strain are fluffy while others are dense as diamond.

Drying too fast will loose too much moisture in short amount of time that simply shrink the buds making it airy. High temperature can cause this and/or bud left out too long. I've dried the same strains buds during the hot summer and cold winter and the summer always disappointing since I cannot control the room temp. Temperature is invisible and is one of the key formula in having a successful grow and harvest. There's always next grow.

The jar looks great with the nugs in place. I have never grown LS to tell you if the strain itself have dense nugs. But from what I've seen with multiple strains grow is that some strain are fluffy while others are dense as diamond.

Drying too fast will loose too much moisture in short amount of time that simply shrink the buds making it airy. High temperature can cause this and/or bud left out too long. I've dried the same strains buds during the hot summer and cold winter and the summer always disappointing since I cannot control the room temp. Temperature is invisible and is one of the key formula in having a successful grow and harvest. There's always next grow.

I think that was my problem. I left it hanging too long and I should have trimmed a bit tighter. I was afraid to mess up to I was very cautious of what I cut off. I left quite a bit of leaf and the pistils which made it a bit brittle looking. I will know this time around not to wait so long. I also think it has to do with the strain as well.

Mini Update: #2 has fallen Victim to my blade! I chopped her. She was a lovely plant and I did a bit of a better job on trimming this time around. I was so afraid to lose trichomes I didn't wanna trim #1 as heavily as I did with #2 but ultimately she looks better. I can't wait to see how much I have in dry weight. I have a huge single cola that just looks amazing. Can't wait to get some smoke off of these.

I am also giving #1 about a week of curing before I get you guys a smoke report. She smells amazing though! Very sweet with a hint of pine. In some ways she is a bit overpowering but it is great.

Here are some pics of today. #2 in her final hour before giving me her Flowers! Also, the aftermath of devastation.

IMG_16158.JPG
IMG_16169.JPG

I am going to give her about 48 hours of drying before I put her down into the Jar. Now I have a question: How can I control the Rh in the Jar? I am a bit worried about mold+ bud getting too brittle. If I can get any help with this i will much appreciate it! :thumb:

:peacetwo: And Stay Medicated. :lot-o-toke: ToG

It definitely has been eventful to say the least. I wouldn't trade it for the world though. I love doing this. I can only get better from here. I have been meaning to check your grow It just keeps slipping my mind. Sorry about that. My schedule should free up a bit once I get things situated. I might be building a better dry box. The huge cardboard box in my room isn't cutting it xD. since I can't dry in my closet I need to find a better place or a smaller box to do it in.

I have one more harvest and a smoke report and this journal will be complete! I have come so far in a short time.

TOG, great job on the grow, Brother, and congrat's on the harvest! :welldone:

Here's how I cure, per info I had received:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feels dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

I'll PM you with a link to the hygrometers I use, which arre nice & cheap and work great.

For the jars I use a Caliber III Digital Hygrometer

They are about 3/4" deep x 2.5" wide x 1/4" tall. They fit nicely in a jar. I have one in each jar. They are accurate to within 1%.

I really couldn't see going blind in the jars.

The harvest is great. That is one nice cola!

I am going to give her about 48 hours of drying before I put her down into the Jar. Now I have a question: How can I control the Rh in the Jar? I am a bit worried about mold+ bud getting too brittle. If I can get any help with this i will much appreciate it! :thumb:

:peacetwo: And Stay Medicated. :lot-o-toke: ToG[/QUOTE]

The post from Mr Krip is right on...get as many hydrometer's as you can...takes the guess work out correctly jarring buds is the key to potent and smooth smoke:thumb:

Pic Update: 11/29/2011 Now that all my big girls are gone, it seems so empty in my closet now. I still have the four clones and they have a few more weeks before I harvest. Not much to go over so I will most likely keep this brief.

Lemon Skunk Clones: Day 27 Flower

>Blue Planet Nutrients Farmer's Pride: Bloom Schedule<

^(Click to View)^

All of my clones are on Bloom schedule and will be for one more week. After that they will go into "Monster Bloom" to finish up their lives. They have had nothing but BPN products since they have been in soil and they are doing great. For being small plants the buds are quite large.

#1.1 is the smallest but I can't say that for the buds. They have some decent size to them. I am no stressing too much on the size anyways because all the clones will go to make me some fine hash(More on that later)
IMG_16184.JPG

#2.1
Decent size and trichome production is trucking along. She should swell in the comin weeks.
IMG_16194.JPG

#2.2 is the second tallest of the lot and still good great. They have all lost a bit of their leaves but It is ok.
IMG_16205.JPG

#2.3 Biggest of all the clones. Healthy and looking great. Has a few seeds(1-2) which are fem since #1.1 pollinated her.
IMG_16217.JPG

Group Shot:
IMG_16225.JPG
IMG_16237.JPG

Final Thoughts: This has definitely taught me a lot. I have had my ups and downs throughout this entire grow. I have tried different nutrients. I have changed my Light cycle. I have successfully harvested. I learned to Top and train my plants. I Learned how not to trim and the correct way. I have learned how to build things.

Everything about this hobby has been nothing but a learning experience. I have done things that I never thought I could. compared to a lot on this forum. I am relatively young(not the youngest I'm sure) and was never really taught much hands on things. I have had a lot to learn on my own and I am totally proud of what I have accomplished. I will continue growing and learning new things because I feel that growing and all that comes with this hobby will be in my life for quite awhile.

Thanks to everyone that continue to help me through it all. I wouldn't be where I am today without this great community of amazing people. :adore:

• Mr.Krip
Thanks my friend. You have helped a lot throughout my grow for sure. Also providing me with useful information and some good laughs as well. Thanks for the info on curing. You are a life save on the hygrometer(Picked up like 4) :thumb:
  • 1970sGrower

Thanks for the info man! I knew I would need to buy something like that but I just wish I didn't put it off till now. So i have to wait a bit before I get mine in the mail. Oh well I guess I will have to eyeball it for now.

The cola is lovely. I think that is a 10-15g cola. Maybe even more. I am crossing my fingers for a least 2oz off this girl. I know its tough to shoot for that because I actually did a better job on trimming this one so we will see.:Namaste:
  • LeafLady

I stared for quite awhile after I trimmed it up. I was proud of myself. I still have a bit more practice before I can say I am good at trimming bud though. :thumb:

• 420Farmer

I use a hand-me-down Canon Powershot sd790 IS. it is a point and shoot but it does the job. That coupled with a cheap tripod help me get those nice closeup macro shots that you see throughout my journal.

I have a ways to go before my picture quality is mint but I am learning. Thanks for your kind words! :Namaste:
  • Mrs.Greenthum
Thanks Mrs.Green! I am hoping my next grow will look even better! :thanks:

• Miwa

He definitely was and I am hitting myself for not preparing ahead of time. It was a stupid mistake that I am paying for now. My first batch is brittle and I might even just make some edibles and add the rest to my Hash stash.

I have some coming in the mail now so I will be prepared for next time.:thumb:

:peacetwo: And Stay Medicated.:lot-o-toke: ToG

thats so awesome! fuckin boom! main cola right out of the soil they look cool as fuck. i wanna eat one. or two. maybe just one.

It is definitely a textbook style of how it should be done. Great execution and a great result.

Back
Top Bottom