THC extraction?

Freshnugs87

Has anyone ever tried to do a THC extraction with a stong ethanol i.e. everclear? Ive read up that it makes a THC oil that can be vaped to extract the pure thc. This website THC Extraction tells how to do it. Has anyone ever tried this. It says that the oil can be 70%+ THC. It makes me excited :smokin3:

I have used perfume grade ethanol. The lower the purity of the solvent, the higher the impurity of the oil. The results at the end are phenomenal, particularly if you are using good weed to start with.
What I did to make handling easier was to dip dry buds in the tincture, then dry them off and repeat the process. Take care with ethanol because of the risk of fire.

I'm assuming that perfume grade ethanol is more pure than everclear Where did you get it?

I am in Australia so things may be different where you are. Perfume grade ethanol is 99.95% pure. I use ethanol of this purity so that when I do my extraction I do not end up with water soluble contaminants, such as chlorophyl. I do not know the purity of everclear. In Australia, I have to obtain a permit to purchase ethanol or else I have to pay a substantial amount of tax. My approval from the Taxation Department allows me to purchase 20 litres per year, to be used for the specific purpose of extracting floral essences. It is quite funny because the Tax Department did not specify which plants the extraction was to be used for. So, technically, when I am making my honey oil I am doing so within the ambit of the approval.
I have also used ether to do my extraction, but it is harder to obtain and a hell of a lot more dangerous.
When I do my extraction, I steep my weed in the ethanol, then drain and filter. I then use a double boiler outside to evaporate the bulk of the ethanol off to get a tincture. Some people recycle the ethanol, but because I have good access and a good price ($5 per litre) I don't bother. I then dip choice buds into the tincture, and lay them out on a drying rack. I repeat this process until all the tincture is consumed. Most times each bud is dipped and dried four times, ending up a dark colour with an oil-like sheen. The buds can then be smoked, or vaped. Incredibly potent!!!!
At the end of the day, I prefer ethanol to most other solvents. I find ether and butane too explosive, and I like the price I pay for the ethanol.
Good luck with your venture.

Oh you dip the bud in the THC oil. Thats a good way also than just vaping it. Everclear is 95% alcohol btw.

yeah, dipping a bud in the tincture is a much easier way of handling the oil. Each bud floret has a small stalk and that makes it even easier for dipping. Also, you can work out the approximate potency. For example, I start with an ounce of premium bud (growers priveledge) when I am doing my extraction. Once I have my tincture I use 7gms of nice buds and dip each one, say 4 times. That means the end result is 1 ounce reduced to 7gms of oiled buds ( a four on one reduction). Does that make sense... I just had a smoke and get a bit vague.

I want buds dipped in THC oil. Moose, do you ever soak the buds in the oil or do you just dip for a second and coat the outside? Do you use dried and cured buds to dip or fresh buds? Also does it burn well enough to smoke in a joint or is it more of a bong with big flame type smoke?

Back
Top Bottom