The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

I want to drop a note that I have a new journal operating to show off themaddabers ATF x Stankberry and Grape Krush x Stankberry. Link is in my sig. Here is todays seedling.

Again the topic of composition.

I have gotten into the habit of squaring up my images for IG and 420 mag. Been doing this for months and months, cant recall exactly why, I recall it was preferred for 420's IG as well. Regardless I have cropped the majority of my images into squares. Occasionally to my pretty strong internal opposition. I found one of those situations today.

I was also gonna flip the image horizontally but I didn't. Here is the edited version of a simple bud shot of my auto. Last week I decided to look up how to sharpen with Affinity Photo. So I did a bit of a live layer unsharp mask to gently sharpen fine detail. Upped the contrast very slightly and perhaps the exposure slightly. The single biggest game changer for this was the diffuser I held between the plant, and the CMH. Also cooled the white balance a bit to take some of the yellow/red out.

Now, I prefer this uncut version, I left it without the above tweaks to the light/detail because its a potential submission down the road for photo of the month. Albeit its not innovative or original. Which is why its a maybe lol. But still, to me, the uncut composition is better with the leaves and stems. Thoughts?

EDIT*
Ok I went and essentially did what I wanted lol.

I posted your photo on Instagram @UrbanAchiever, thank you :goodjob:

We really need to find someone to handle the Instagram for us, wish I had more time :Namaste:
Ahhh that is cool. I always appreciate when folks share an image. Preferably in a positive way lol

Yeah, IG is an art form. Its easy to throw up a post. But good content delivery is a young woman's game. Im an old white guy with a camera. (For some that's the start of an FBI profile).

( I follow 420, so I know how much you need the presence)

A photo of my 3 day old Gorilla Bomb Feminized seedling shot with the fisheye effect on and a 2x closeup lens attached. Enjoy!:blunt:

:circle-of-love::Namaste:
Bam. Beauty CM. Pops out at ya.

Seedlings are great. The are small, mobile, cute, and with macro lenses are a whole new fun. For some it's no big deal, they pop seeds all the time. I pot them once every 5 months. They get big fast so your fun window is kinda short. So cute.

I went way back in my vault looking for a photo similar to an entry to this months photo otm contest. I like theirs better. I hate blurple pictures, but this one I liked and kept. Almost submitted it I think, but the purple always swayed me out.

Great shot UA! :welldone:

I saw the other entry that was similar to yours above. Both are excellent photos in my opinion and would be a hard choice for the judges to make if going head to head against each other.o_O

A flash photo of my organic sun room grown Silver Fox-Pheno #1 after a couple months of curing. :blunt: I upped the exposure in my I-Photo program just a bit to blend in the edges of the 420 sticker to the white background but not to much to where it affected the color of the flower.:ganjamon:

Enjoy and have a great day all!

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

Love the fade on them gals!:love::thumb:

I’ll bet it is, take lots of pics to remember it by.
Thats the one thing I have been aware of. These are the last time I will see these. We chop them down and smoke them. My memory is terrible. If it wasn't for documenting things I would totally forget.

A little something I'm currently working on for future PhotoO.T.M. contests.:blunt:

I'm hoping to add some smoke to the background of the pic. by putting a couple of lit incense sticks right below the plant and then letting it float up into the shot while taking the picture. Won't know if it works until giving it a shot!:nerd-with-glasses:

A little something I'm currently working on for future PhotoO.T.M. contests.:blunt:

I'm hoping to add some smoke to the background of the pic. by putting a couple of lit incense sticks right below the plant and then letting it float up into the shot while taking the picture. Won't know if it works until giving it a shot!:nerd-with-glasses:
Excellent idea. Incense is thick and wispy. Try both the stick, and the cone stuff! Cant wait to see it

Again the topic of composition.

Now, I prefer this uncut version, I left it without the above tweaks to the light/detail because its a potential submission down the road for photo of the month. Albeit its not innovative or original. Which is why its a maybe lol. But still, to me, the uncut composition is better with the leaves and stems. Thoughts?

When I was at the high school I said always shoot more than you want and then crop it in post. Thats not to say that you ignore composition but compose you pic the way you like and then back it out just a little and then take the shot. I agree with you btw, I don't like square cropped pics. I'm old school in that regard, 4x6 5x7 8x10 11x14 13x19 16x20.

I like seeing the plant and not just the close ups, it's making those pics interesting where I find the challenge. I like the close ups too but still find cropping a square agitating.

Back
Top Bottom