The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

Soooo you took over 200 shots of this, eh?

I wonder...were you by chance high? :laughtwo::smokin:

Peace, Hyena

200 shots when shooting multiple frames per second only takes a few minutes or so but what I have to do in order to capture a decent looking smoke pattern in the background.:blunt: Oh, and of course I took a toke or two before doing it like always, that's what makes it fun.:hookah: :cheesygrinsmiley:

An updated shot of a personal project I've been working on.:blunt: This time instead of upping the exposure setting post production trying to blend the edges of the sticker into to the white porcelain plate background (which somewhat fades the green and black print) I used my eraser tool to wipe out the edges so it looks like the type was printed directly onto the plate itself, well for the most part that is.:cheesygrinsmiley:

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

200 shots when shooting multiple frames per second only takes a few minutes or so but what I have to do in order to capture a decent looking smoke pattern in the background.:blunt: Oh, and of course I took a toke or two before doing it like always, that's what makes it fun.:hookah: :cheesygrinsmiley:
Yeah my early days, that's the only way to get what you want, spray and pray. But even now, I can take quite a few for each shot. Different apertures or focal points. I dunno if its the sativa, or just repetition, but getting good and high before taking photos yields great results. Same thing for making tunes. Anything actually lol.

An updated shot of a personal project I've been working on.:blunt: This time instead of upping the exposure setting post production trying to blend the edges of the sticker into to the white porcelain plate background (which somewhat fades the green and black print) I used my eraser tool to wipe out the edges so it looks like the type was printed directly onto the plate itself, well for the most part that is.:cheesygrinsmiley:

:circle-of-love::Namaste:

Yeah I love your bud shots of those sun kissed buds. Every strain is photographic.

I used to have photoshop and Lightroom. Well I still kinda do on the old Mac but they were pirated downloads. I had bought photoshop elements 9 or something and might have that. Still had no idea how to really use the software but touching up and blending was something I learned. Its a lot of work when trying to get in and around lettering or things you wanna keep.

I have forced myself to adapt to a new photo editing program, Affiinity Photo, that I paid for. It is a lot different and I haven't figured out half the menus yet. Haven't tried any of the more technical or destructive options. I should go and do a grey card on the CMH as I haven't done that. In Lightroom I could do the white balance with a grey card photo in the editing phase. I might have to do it in camera at the tent with this program. I dunno. I need to get better at photography before I get better at editing.

I myself have the added stress of keeping my 87 year old disabled father who I watch over everyday out of harms way which in turn puts my very life in danger if a random wild fire breaks out in this area since I cannot just up and run for the hills like others.:lot-o-toke:
That's why I keep daily tabs on the weather conditions here just in case since I don't want to end up whining like my older brother saying "I never thought in a million years that this would ever happen to me". That's called apathy in my book thinking bad things only happen to others!

I wish you all the best Amy G.!;) Stay safe!:hug:
Cheers Monster, I’m the eqiv of your dad for my partner. I have to use a roller walker (and soon powered chair - so longer walks!). No last minute fleeing for us! It’s hammering rain here now, so perfect for putting out fires. People are flooding tho - it’s crazy. Thankfully for me, I am not in the worst of it this time! Just bulk rain, and we need that.
:Namaste:

So I’ve been meaning to do this for a while but wanted to wait until the PhOTY was over, seeing as this pic was in it and I didn't want it to seem like ‘promotion’ :laughtwo:

My Blueberry pic was taken as part of an exercise a pro-photographer friend set for me: 3 point lighting assignment.

I don't have space or physical capacity to properly setup what she was asking and I don’t have lights either so I did a really rough version to see what I could manage.

I used the light from my QB array in the tent (that’s from the left), a halogen desklamp on the right and slightly in front, and the flash of the camera was the 3rd point of light.

Before cropping and light tweaking it looked like this.
CB687FF9-72F5-4623-90FA-BFA0544362A8.jpeg

In the iPad photos app i cropped it, and raised the black point until the black in the background got as close to uniform as I could get it without over-darkening the pic. I may have tweaked the brightness also (but I usually find that less is more with adjustments). I changed the ‘cast’ a little too - to ease the yellowness of the QB.

So I’ve been wanting to post that mostly to help show folks with less photography experience (which is still me, too) that nice photos don’t always (or even often) look slick from the outset.

Final version for 420 ...

I tried to reproduce The shot 2 weeks later and it was ok - but I must have had the front-side light in a different spot because I couldn’t disappear it’S reflection from the background. Not sure i still have that pic...

Cheers Monster, I’m the eqiv of your dad for my partner. I have to use a roller walker (and soon powered chair - so longer walks!). No last minute fleeing for us! It’s hammering rain here now, so perfect for putting out fires. People are flooding tho - it’s crazy. Thankfully for me, I am not in the worst of it this time! Just bulk rain, and we need that.
:Namaste:

So I’ve been meaning to do this for a while but wanted to wait until the PhOTY was over, seeing as this pic was in it and I didn't want it to seem like ‘promotion’ :laughtwo:

My Blueberry pic was taken as part of an exercise a pro-photographer friend set for me: 3 point lighting assignment.

I don't have space or physical capacity to properly setup what she was asking and I don’t have lights either so I did a really rough version to see what I could manage.

I used the light from my QB array in the tent (that’s from the left), a halogen desklamp on the right and slightly in front, and the flash of the camera was the 3rd point of light.

Before cropping and light tweaking it looked like this.
CB687FF9-72F5-4623-90FA-BFA0544362A8.jpeg

In the iPad photos app i cropped it, and raised the black point until the black in the background got as close to uniform as I could get it without over-darkening the pic. I may have tweaked the brightness also (but I usually find that less is more with adjustments). I changed the ‘cast’ a little too - to ease the yellowness of the QB.

So I’ve been wanting to post that mostly to help show folks with less photography experience (which is still me, too) that nice photos don’t always (or even often) look slick from the outset.

Final version for 420 ...

I tried to reproduce The shot 2 weeks later and it was ok - but I must have had the front-side light in a different spot because I couldn’t disappear it’S reflection from the background. Not sure i still have that pic...

I love this Amy. An excellent exercise and a nice result. So exciting. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Snapped a bunch of photos. This time round at ISO 400 just because of the conditions and my weak light sources. This is probably the 4th or 5th attempt over the year or so to capture some smoke. The first two bowls the smoke was blowing back on the bong. So I reversed it for the last couple shots. Overall this could work even better and I may try again.

Snapped a bunch of photos. This time round at ISO 400 just because of the conditions and my weak light sources. This is probably the 4th or 5th attempt over the year or so to capture some smoke. The first two bowls the smoke was blowing back on the bong. So I reversed it for the last couple shots. Overall this could work even better and I may try again.

Super cool photos UA

Super cool photos UA
Thanks bud, been trying to do this for ever, took a few more today lol. Fresh bowls.

Awesome Urb! I really dig the 3 bowl Monty :D the pic and the circumstances it required :bongrip:

The inverted one is super super cool, like ice vapour ... either that or a death eater just apparated out your bowl!

I think they’re all very eye catching :popcorn:
Thank you Amy. Stumbled upon that inverted button one day, its a negative I guess, and it just pops with the right image. Super happy with that effort.

Thanks bud, perseverance is the key with smoke lol. Gonna see if I captured anything else decent. I looked and I need a wider aperture to capture more of the depth of smoke. I will continue to rip bowls and try and capture something I really like.

First time visiting this thread but I’ll be sure to tag along! I love learning photo techniques and styles!

I currently use my IPhone 8 for photos and a small macro camera attachment for closeups! Been working pretty good for me! I also have a NikonD5100 DSLR which I haven't really learned to use but would like to haha!

Here’s an example of what I’ve been doing with my iPhone:

I’ll post more soon but definitely excited to learn some photo taking techniques!

Hope everyone is well!

Bravo Dutch! I’ve always thought you took great pics with your phone! To what level have you not yet learned to use your DSLR? It’s really can be just a ‘jump off the cliff‘ and get into it kind of thing. Even the auto modes wil give you a step up from the phone.

I have no doubt you’ll do great things with it :) :popcorn:

I guess diving into the modes and settings more is where I would be needing to learn more about. Such as ISO, exposure, manual adjustments and so on...
I’ve played with the auto settings multiple times but have yet to go further. I should but I also like the ease of my phone and uploading! No computer in the middle lol

I guess diving into the modes and settings more is where I would be needing to learn more about. Such as ISO, exposure, manual adjustments and so on...
I’ve played with the auto settings multiple times but have yet to go further. I should but I also like the ease of my phone and uploading! No computer in the middle lol
Welcome Dutch! Glad you have joined the thread, you definitely have a natural talent for photography. If you haven't already, go back and read some of the earlier thread for some help with getting to know your 5100. This thread was started as a place to share a bit more advanced tricks and tips than what's in the user manuals.

There are modes to help with the transition from a phone or point and shoot. This is also talked about I think. But don't think you have to use your DSLR all the time for photos. Nothing wrong with quick cell phone update photos, or even photo contest entries with the cheaper phones/cameras, its more about composition and execution rather than gear.

The manual stuff is frustrating at first but eventually you get a handle on the connection, ratio, between light/aperture/shutter speed. Lots of folks here to help too, if you have any questions, and feel free to share your favourite tips and tricks, or gear.
:high-five:

Dang! I always feel intimidated when I come through the door here, but in a good way. :hug::hug::hug:

UA, I want to set up some lighting for photographing tutorials in my apartment. What I’d prefer is to be able to light small spaces, like the countertop in my kitchen where most of the work is done.

I’m under the glare of fluorescent. That isn't working for me, and I’m thinkin’ something could be rigged, but I’m clueless as to what to start with. Something on tripods, I’m sure, and something to soften the glare.

I need help. You were my first thought as I stood in front of the Rainforest’s window and felt overwhelmed. I’m a writer and point and shoot photographer.

Better lighting = better pictures = better tutorials. What would you advise? I’ll be doing a fair amount of bud shots, nothing at this point living.

Back
Top Bottom