The 7 Best Indica Strains

420 Warrior

Copy-of-CRTV-3502_Strains_Indica_2229_webRes-1.jpg

Most people see the word “indica” and think Ambien. For so long we've equated the effects of indica cannabis strains to being couch-locked. And while it's true that some indicas may tuck you in for the night, it's even truer that you can't just generalize an entire third of weed plants under one single high.

There are thousands of indica strains; some may feel relaxed and happy, others may feel drowsy and tired, some even make you feel the complete opposite. It all depends on your body, and knowing your body is knowing that finding the right strains is up to you. Here are seven of the best indicas to get you started.

Hindu Kush
171023F_44939_HinduKush_1-768x1024.jpg

Hindu Kush is a pure indica from the Hindu Kush mountain range between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Its compact buds usually have a vibrant white shine to them due to the stark coat of trichomes on top of light green flowers. An original landrace strain, Hindu Kush is believed to be one of the first plants to be used for hash.

Hindu Kush terpenes usually hit the nose with a sweet and piney aroma, while the smoke can have sweet, floral, and pine flavors. Effects-wise, most people expect to feel a calm and relaxing cerebral high that pairs great with the ending of a long day on your balcony. Hindu Kush is a great suggestion for anyone seeking a long-lasting euphoric experience.

Northern Lights
180228_52038_Northern-Lights_1-768x1024.jpg

Just as old as Hindu Kush is the famous Northern Lights. Its influence on the world of indicas can't be stated enough. This Afghani descendant is known for having resinous buds and skunky terpenes that fill the room when the plant is cured. You can expect sweet and herbal flavors when you smoke it.

Equally as potent as it is stinky, most consumers report a hard-hitting body high that'll leave you on stuck mode for the remainder of the evening. If you're looking to get stoned and run through a sack of gas station snacks, this — or its popular phenotype Northern Lights #5 — may be the one.

Granddaddy Purple
180129F_7338_Granddaddy-Purple_1-1-768x1024.jpg

Granddaddy Purple is that classic purple flower that completely changed the game of weed aesthetics. It's a cross of Purple Urkle and Bid Bud that first came to life in 2003. Though plenty of purple flowers existed before it, GDP was one of the first to become a household name in weed culture. No budtender hears “purp” without immediately thinking of this strain.

Granddaddy Purple is world famous for its deep purple buds that give off sweet, grapey, earthy terpenes. Picture if you were to buy a bag of grapes and roll them in a blunt, that's smoking Granddaddy Purple.

Blueberry
9_46928_F_EdenBlackLabelBlueBerry_I_TVB_7-768x1024.jpg

From legendary breeder DJ Short comes DJ Short's Blueberry, or simply Blueberry, another indica-leaning strain with Afghani (and Thai) genetics. It has compact green buds stacked with an assortment of purple and red-coloring that make it as pretty as it is flavorful.

As its name suggests, Blueberry smells and tastes like fresh fruit from your neighborhood Farmers Market. Whether consumed as flower or concentrate, those berry terps are shining through. Most consumers feel a relaxed, happy, and slumped-over type of body high after consuming Blueberry. If you're looking for a night cap that appeals to your taste buds, check out this strain.

9 LB Hammer
171109_45224_9lbHammer_SAF_1-768x1024.jpg

9 LB Hammer is a heavy indica that hits your head just like that: a 9 LB hammer. A cross of Gooberry and an OG Kush varietal, 9 LB genetics usually produce dense flowers with dark green colors and a blended coat of white trichomes. On the terpene side of things, you can expect 9 LB hammer to smell earthy and somewhat chemmy, while tasting mostly like the former.

Where this strain lacks in terps, it more than makes up for it in effects. Most people feel a heavy head high that slowly creeps into the body, causing you to starfish in bed for the next couple of hours.

Personally speaking, 9 LB hammer doesn't make me sleepy, but it does produce a super duper stone that makes me want to never move again.

Forbidden Fruit
For the last fruity suggestion, it was a toss up between Grape Ape or Forbidden Fruit. And I had to go with Forbidden Fruit for three reasons:
  1. It's one of the most beautiful cannabis flowers on the planet.
  2. The terpenes are usually pretty consistent no matter who grows it.
  3. Last week I smoked it with my grandma and she was blown away by how good it tasted.
Forbidden Fruit was born by crossing Cherry Pie with Tangie. The result is a staunchly purple flower, covered in a flurry of orange hairs, that gives off an extremely tropical guava-like aroma. When consumed, it'll taste like you're smoking a bowl of fruit cocktail, and the effects are much lighter than people associate with indicas and purple strains. Instead of sleepy and down, you'll feel a relaxing euphoria that makes everything a little funnier.

G-13
You can't talk about indica cannabis strains and not mention the lochness monster of the weed world: G-13.

Legend has it that G-13, or Government Indica Strain 13, was a U.S. Government experiment where the intelligence agencies (CIA, FBI, etc.) collected all of the “best” and “most potent” indicas from all over the world, then bred them together to create the Megazord of all cannabis strains. The alleged reason we can all go to a dispensary and purchase this super secret government mission of a strain is because some disgruntled government agent stole a cut of the plant and leaked it to the public. Chances are that this story is not true, but it's okay to believe it anyway.

What is true is that G-13 will absolutely knock your socks off. Regardless of how you consume it, both G-13 flower and oil usually makes people feel hungry, relaxed, and sleepy, i.e. stoned out of their minds. Its intense high might not put you to bed, but it will make you stare off into space for the next few hours as you wonder why some people don't have middle names.

Dante Jordan ∙ September 24, 2020

You should credit where the articles came from (even when it's old/rehashed). Weedmaps (and its owner) paid for that article.

"Most people see the word “indica” and think Ambien"

gosh i need to get out more,,

i dunna even know what ambien means

:nerd-with-glasses:

You should credit where the articles came from (even when it's old/rehashed). Weedmaps (and its owner) paid for that article.

I do give the authors names an the dates they were published when I post articles, but I was trained to try and keep our members here by giving you guys the info y'all need to educate yourselves.

Props to WeedMaps, which is indeed a great site with great information, but I bring their articles here for our members, so y'all don't have to go out looking for information elsewhere, when I can bring it inhouse to save you guys the "Google Search"

It was all part of my "NewsHawk" training ;)

and you just keep it up too,, pls,,.

i won't attest to reading all the articles, but i do read a bunch,, and appreciate them,, cheers

real science is so lacking in the cannabis world. near everything in the cannabis world is hearsay or old wives tales, repeated and repeated ad nauseum , just plain wrong like the spelling of ad nauseum

cheers friend

oh,, and who's to say what i just wrote is not hearsay and an old wifes fabricated story??

"Granddaddy Purple is world famous for its deep purple buds that give off sweet, grapey, earthy terpenes...

Picture if you were to buy a bag of grapes and roll them in a blunt, that's smoking Granddaddy Purple."

True story, and excellent list overall. I'm growing a GG4 x 9lbxBlackberry called Gorilla Hammer and I keep taking cuts😋

"Granddaddy Purple is world famous for its deep purple buds that give off sweet, grapey, earthy terpenes...

Picture if you were to buy a bag of grapes and roll them in a blunt, that's smoking Granddaddy Purple."

True story, and excellent list overall. I'm growing a GG4 x 9lbxBlackberry called Gorilla Hammer and I keep taking cuts😋
That's got to be on a influenced channel. Lol must be a righteous pull taste and utter elation. Keep that one goin

I grew some grandady purp back in the day, from bag seed. it's the background pic on my profile. it looks blue that's the light and that amount of trichomes

Screenshot_20230920-172334.png

Back
Top Bottom