The ABCs Of CBD: A Place For Questions Answers & Hopefully Fun

Oldbear

Is it true? The Study Hall has Breakout Groups :cheer:

Like many Ive been doing a lot of research on CBD and what it can be used for. Also where to get it, how much to take, and how to mix with thc are common search points.

Its been difficult to keep track of the information. Harder still to remember where I saw it - for a refresh for me or to share with others.

I'm no expert on this so I hope people with answers wander by.

Ill leave a tray of brownies by the door for visitors. :welcome:

re: The ABCs Of CBD - A Place For Questions Answers & Hopefully Fun

What I think Ive learned:

They make a distinction between industrial hemp and marijuana based on thc levels. Less than 0.3 percent I think is the cut line.

In Canada hemp oil, hemp seeds, and hemp flour are all readily available. I assume its true in the USA

CBD extracted from hemp is legal in the USA. This is not legal in Canada. Extraction requires lots of processing - this is not a diy in the kitchen project.

CBD from marijuana is only legal in some states, linked with medical and recreational uses. Same in Canada. In strains that have it, CBD can be easily diy extracted from the flowers and sugar leaves.

Industrial extraction processes creates cbd isolate crystals which is marketed as 99.9 % pure.

Anything with CBD in it can be made from this.

Is the the cbd removed from marijuana using diy methods the same?
Does the source plant for cbd change its properties?
Does hemp cbd work the same as marijuana cbd?

Yes... the definition of Industrial Hemp according to the 2012 Federal Farm act in the USA currently states that "HEMP" is Cannabis Sativa who's THC content is less than 0.3% THC.

The Legality of CBD in the USA is currently a very hot topic. In December 2016, the DEA of the USA stated that they are treating CBD as a Schedule 1 substance (same as THC). Now this was an administrative statement, technically they can not change the law and as of now the law does not classify CBD as a schedule 1 drug. But they were also very clear to say anything extracted from Marijuana would be treated as schedule 1, so the importance of if the CBD was derived from Hemp or Marijuana becomes more important.

CBD Extraction is currently prohibited in Canada and allowed in some states which have approved Hemp laws (Colorado, Oregon, Nevada, Vermont, Kentucky).

Industrial extraction processes creates cbd isolate crystals which is marketed as 99.9 % pure.

Anything with CBD in it can be made from this.

Is the the cbd removed from marijuana using diy methods the same?
Does the source plant for cbd change its properties?
Does hemp cbd work the same as marijuana cbd?

Most isolate is created from either synthesis, chemical precipitation or chromatography. Levels of purity can be as high as 99.99% depending on process. However, most of the procedures (synthesis and chemical precipitation) change the structure and polarity of CBD which also changes it's bio-availability. At the moment it is roughly 60%. Meaning.. that 100mg of isolate made in 2 of those 3 methods would have the Bio-Availability of only 60mg. Isolate does not like to play with the other kids meaning it is hard to formulate, it likes to stay and precipitate out of solvents over time.

CBD derived from Hemp is the same as that from Marijuana as they are both Cannabis Sativa.

There are a lot of uTube videos about cbd - too many to link but easy to find.

Good take away from one - at molecular level ihCBD (industrial hemp cbd) and mjCBD are identical. MjCBD helps people more because small levels of thc and the other compounds present create a synergistic effect that you hear about.

And a second one: CBD only binds to CB2 receptors which is why there is no 'high'.

Hey.... can we jumpstart this thread again Oldbear? There’s so much more about CBD available now and even more questions arising all the time.

I live in prohibition land where CBD is the only legal source. These seniors could use some truth about what we can expect from CBD use and info on how to properly dose.

Miss you. :hug:

Hey.... can we jumpstart this thread again Oldbear? There’s so much more about CBD available now and even more questions arising all the time.
Thanks for restarting this thread!

I’ve been experimenting with CBD. It appears to relief pain by reducing inflammation, without the typical side effects of NSAIDS such as stomach irritation. It’s quite effective for my shoulder pain, but not for my chronic back pain (multiple surgeries). Cannabis doesn’t help my back pain, but does have other benefits: combats nausea and the depression often associated with chronic pain. I use opiates for the back pain, which I’m trying to eliminate. I live in a medical state, and my “pot doc” suggested trying a high CBD strain that has at least a fair amount of THC in it as THC and CBD work synergistically (the “entourage effect”). She told me to experiment with different strains and was confident I’d find one that works for the back pain.

Not having a lot of financial resources for experimentation, I’m growing an auto strain that is supposedly 5% CBD and 5% THC. My plan is to try smoking it, and if it works turn it into CCO for oral use. My wife’s scoliosis pain is eliminated by cannabis, but she doesn’t like the “side effects” :ganjamon: of THC (I, however, do). If this works, I can always take some of the oil and mix it with oil from a high THC strain for my use, while retaining the high CBD content for both of us.

Back
Top Bottom