The Absolutely Incredible And Bulky RDWC 750w LED Dr. Krippling Incredible Bulk: 2019 Indoor Feminised

It's possible those pucks have something to do with it. I would expect it to be more uniform if it was though.

If parts of the roots start to die off (air pruning, salt deposits, infection) corresponding spots in the plant can start to die off as well. Are you able to lift your root ball out of the bucket and inspect it?

I try not to clutter others threads with my pics but:

Recently changed from hand watering to drip irrigation. My pressure compensating drippers make too much head pressure for the small pump so it's not even flow rates to every container. This one has stayed the driest and just started burning up in the last handful of days.

Everything else gets the same mix this one just gets the least. Maybe plugged up bubblers?

Managed to get the lid up a little and drained the res to inspect roots. I can’t lift out due to scrog, but roots look pretty good. Lots of new white feeder roots at the base of the bucket, no smell or slime, and lots of bubbles.

I raised lights as far as I could to see if maybe that’s the cause. It’s a really interesting scenario TBH, and I’m anxious to get this plant chopped so I can start flowering my coco bulk. If everything’s equal and the RDWC doesn’t produce way bigger buds, I’ll prob go back to coco growing... way less of a hassle.

What's the PH at? Mine get pissy if they stay up at 6.2 like you had them. If i keep em right at that 5.8 sweet spot they seem to stay really happy. Those buds are huge and great looking!

Hey guys, been a rough week but here’s the latest and greatest summation of where I’m at. I was seeing yellowing of leaves in certain parts of the canopy and then a weird burn happening on leaves around the colas. It spread very rapidly over 2-3 days, and @fanleaf advised it could be a salt buildup. From there, I did the following (plus cut off a majority of burned leaves) and as of this morning it looked like there wasn’t additional spread of the issue, or if there was it was very minimal. Fingers crossed it doesn’t rear it’s ugly head. My next post will be bud pictures.

1. Drained and cleaned both reservoirs.
2. Flushed clean PH 5.8 water through system.
3. Recalibrated all 3 PH meters just in case.
4. Removed everything from soup except calmag and bloom base (1.6EC).

Worst Case Scenario Contingency Plan:
- Turn off Chilled Logic pucks altogether.
- If a small branch gets affected, cut it off to see if everything’s white or if there’s a ring indicating fungal pathogen.

Day 31 Flower

Two favorite things about these flowers are the smell and massive white pistils. This pheno definitely has a very loud smell - strong fruit and skunk. It has more fruit than I was expecting, but with the pungent skunk that just fills the house every time I leave the tent open for too long.

I wish there wasn’t leaf burn in some of these pictures, but we’ll just have to go with it. Overall it’s a big beautiful plant that unfortunately has a few ugly ass leaves. Largest cola is over 8” tall right now, majority I’d say are stacked around 5-6” tall. Canopy is 3.5’ x 3.5’ and I’d say I have over 20 real solid tops and then roughly the same amount of smaller tops. In future runs of this I’d prob only keep the main colas and cut off all small branches entirely (not lollipop) before flowering.

6FAA4E2E-7B23-46E0-8696-B83341E641A5.jpeg
3965EA69-70AD-48B7-A950-666554F8092D.jpeg
A6822FB3-1C4F-4536-A9AD-516421951920.jpeg
F071273A-524C-40CE-BD65-F0D5453A9F99.jpeg
7268B723-A2D7-4182-AAAD-1FB19241EA12.jpeg
58468166-E327-483E-A2A9-6208D739D75C.jpeg
D5EFBCFF-087C-4FD1-895F-08A10F7049EF.jpeg
8D9E441B-E185-4D9D-89D0-13798A2F8744.jpeg
CB5EC1B6-3F02-4AA8-99A2-9DE43D208085.jpeg
F946E3C6-0544-4D65-A290-9123C88FC42E.jpeg

Awesome job here. That leaf issue is perplexing, especially considering you're only seeing it affect a small portion of the growth.

What are those plant training clips you have? The green ones. I'm amazed at your bud development compared to mine... You have alot more white pistils than I do when you compare pics at the same flowering days. Are you adding in anything to your soup specifically for flower?

Hey thanks man. The green clips are from here and pretty cool. I threw a few on this plant but mainly got them for a tall sativa I’m going to be running next.

I’d say the bud development is mainly due to genetics. This strain is a cross between super skunk, skunk 1, and big bud (that’s why it’s so big). I’m not running anything in my soup right now except for Botanicare’s Bloom Base and Cal Mag Plus. I had started to use HydroPlex (PK Boost) and CarboLoad (Carbs/ Sugar), but the plant got unhappy so I removed those.

I’m not a huge fan of loading soup up with a million products, so I’d recommend keeping it simple. Normally I run VegBloom (single part) in coco, but because I was trying new stuff with DWC/LED, I figured I’d try Botanicares PBP because supposedly it provides the best terps and flavors.

Other key differences between our grows that could impact growth are the following, but my personal opinion is it’s genetics more than anything. You have a healthy plant, DO NOT CHANGE things :)
  • You’re running sterile (I’m not)
  • I’m using CO2
  • I think you’re running higher water temps and PH than me (I’m around 5.7 and 64F WT
  • I put on rap in the grow room every so often to get my plant hyped up (Ether, Wu-Tang, etc.)

Day 38 Flower

1.2EC - 5.8pH - CO2 - VPD

Things are looking good and starting to frost up. I backed down nutes once again as I think Botanicare runs a little hot. Now that things are calming down from the recent issues, I can say that overall I’m more impressed with the bulk than I originally anticipated I would be based on its genetics/ crosses.

Had a few hiccups along the way, but what can you do. Though it’s too early to claim victory as I’ve still got ~1-2 weeks til harvest, I will say for my first ever DWC I feel like by most people’s standards this would be a success. To me, it looks pretty good, but the biggest test will be flavor and high.

Here’s some lights off flash photos.

Just for notes/ record/ maybe saving someone time in future. Remember the issue I saw spreading across my plant? I feel very confident I know the root cause and why it happened.

My hypothesis: accumulation of calmag that built up in the res over 2 months caused an excess of iron that LOCKED OUT the uptake of manganese, which spiraled into the issues I saw.

A few lessons learned from this experience:
-maintain same water source throughout the grow.
-lighter feed, DWC requires lower feed than coco/ soil.
-lower pH seems safer than higher pH in DWC.
-flush res more often, moving forward I’ll do at least once a month (depending on strain/ uptake). With a lighter feed I’ll have less buildup, but once a month for non-sterile seems like a solid place to start.

Even though a flush fixed it, I’m big on determining root cause and/or the “why” something happened, otherwise I feel like I’m flying blind in the future and won’t be able to prevent it. Hopefully it saves somebody some time in the future!

My leaf (left), manganese issue (right):

LOL I just noticed I had 3 pretty big colas growing under the scrog/ canopy that I had never seen or noticed before, only caught my attention this morning because the branch supercropped itself under the weight. Don’t mind the ugly leaf, but pretty funny and a nice surprise.

That is a nice find! Hopefully some duct tape will keep that live. The manganese makes sense, whatever isn't used over time will build up and when more nutes get added without flushing the old resulting in buildups of certain minerals over time. The full changeouts keeps the nutes in a known perfect balance which is nice. I think those all look like good lessons learned. Thankfully none killed it and the harvest is still going to be big!

Nice find on that cola below the net. When I was trying to super crop a couple weeks ago I really split the stem of one of my bigger colas. I taped it up with electrical tape and just took that off yesterday. It was on for a week. Man, the branch is good as new. I was so worried I would lose one of the biggest tops due to my idiotic super crop job, but now it's healed itself and is supporting its own weight etc. Definitely impressed with how it just bounces back. Great job on the grow and keep it up!

Nice find on that cola below the net. When I was trying to super crop a couple weeks ago I really split the stem of one of my bigger colas. I taped it up with electrical tape and just took that off yesterday. It was on for a week. Man, the branch is good as new. I was so worried I would lose one of the biggest tops due to my idiotic super crop job, but now it's healed itself and is supporting its own weight etc. Definitely impressed with how it just bounces back. Great job on the grow and keep it up!
Nah man you’ll be all good, your plant looks great and you’re getting to the fun part now! I’d put money down that the branches you thought you screwed up the most... end up producing the fattest nugs. It’s a super resilient plant.

Back
Top Bottom