The Banana Gang

Smeegol

Good morning/afternoon/evening guys n gals.. So I'm sure that 90% of you know who @SweetSue is and all she does in her quest to educate. Awhile back I was on DR.Ziggys low n slow method of curing and came across a post of ms.Sue where she used banana skins due to the ethylene it produces to convert regular seeds to female seeds...??

I don't know about any of you guys but I enjoy broadening my horizons especially when it comes to something new and even better if said experiment works.. I hope that there will be a few inquisitive minds that would like to try this with me as its going to be a study of interesting developments I hope..

@SweetSue had this to say about in reply to my question...?

Smeegol said:
I know, I know, lagging on pg 11 ms.Sue, would you care to explain this a bit more please....:thanks:
@Smeegol, forgive me for being so late to this. :hug:

Ripening fruit produces ethylene gas, which can be used to treat regular seeds to assure they express as females. Banana skins are excellent sources of this valuable gas.

It takes two weeks to make this work, so plan accordingly.

Wrapping the banana skin in a paper towel or parchment paper will keep down the chance of mold developing.

Making your seeds female

* wrap the banana peel
* place wrapped peel and seeds you're treating in a plastic bag
* date the bag
* place in a cool, dark place where it won't be disturbed
* open daily to air the seeds off, to keep seeds from molding
* change out the banana peel every 3 days
* remove and plant on day 14

It has a high rate of success. Both times I've used it the seeds were obviously males, and both expressed female.

There you have it guys, ms.Sue has done all the hard work for us, is this worthy of its own unique thread guys n gals.
All that is required is banana peels and reg bag seed and hopefully some space that you can use for this experiment and hopefully share with the rest of us...

@SweetSue so in regards to bananas, which would be more suitable for using...? green/ semi green or ripening bananas ..??

@Preston9mm, @Bilbobudkin420, @MrSauga, @TheFrizz, @Kingjoe83,@newty ( how's the weekend sunshine ) there are lots of you fine folk I can mention but I'd be here all day if I tagged all of you, and some folk I know might not be able to accomadate a experiment like this but please everyone feel free to chime in whenever you want...:hug:

All my seeds are fem but I’ll hang around to see how this goes!

Afternoon mr.Mags I trust this morning finds you well, been a busier day than normal as I officially started being productive in my goal of summer gardening... I think this is going to be an interesting little project cause I'll be blown away if this theoretical knowledge that SweetSue works, imagine the sales of bananas will sky rocket...lol

I'm going to document my first attempt a bit later on, see ya later...

Guys n Gals how are we all this fine afternoon I hope you've each had a blessed day. So as you all know this is an experiment so there's no winners or losers just a united quest for knowledge, thank you to Sweet Sue who put me onto this idea..

I don't know how the whole process works but I'm going to learn through practical application of this technique and see how close I can come, cause it sounds like " winner winner, chicken dinner ", so please jump in guys if you feel the notion to try this as well...

So I used 6 Bagseed from a Jack of Spades batch I smoked a while back, they've been waiting for a reason to be used so I thought why not...

So here is the first entry below...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I used 2 banana skins cause I was peckish...

image.jpeg

So the seeds ( 6 ) are in the bag, I rolled the skins in paper towel and folded like you would a burrito if that makes sense. So today is the 7/16 and 3pm marks the start of day 1. You need to burp the bag once or twice day and discard the banana peel every 3 days... At the end of the 14th day, you plant the seed directly into your medium and then we wait to see if sexy time was achieved..

Thank you kindly in advance for popping in, I will update every 3rd day if anyone wants to see the banana skin change over..

This is open to anyone and especially newbies because here is an opportunity that's virtually free to attempt to make fem seeds using an intriguing method I hope...

have a great afternoon everyone...:thanks:

Good afternoon Mr Smeegs, I'm pulling up a chair and planning on learning something. Enjoy your afternoon and thanks for the new educational thread.
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Good afternoon Mr Smeegs, I'm pulling up a chair and planning on learning something. Enjoy your afternoon and thanks for the new educational thread.
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
Fascinating, so I could buy regular seeds cheaper, instead of the feminized ones, then use this process to feminize them. I don't have bag seed and all mine are fems. It will be a while before I can attempt. :goodluck: Mr Smeegs

Morning guys hope you all have a good day...

That's the plan mr.Sauga, hope it works...haha

It is not 100% but we did this back in my stealth outdoor days.(1980s)

here is a quote from a book.........
Hemp Husbandry
Robert A. NELSON
Treatment of hempseed with ethylene gas will increase the resulting number of female plants by about 50%. Ethylene is produced by certain plants (i.e., bananas, cucumbers and melons), and these can be used to treat hempseed in a simple manner. About two weeks before you plan to sprout the seeds, place them in a paper bag or envelope and put that in a plastic bag with the peels of a ripening banana or cucumber. Replace the peels after a couple of days, and change the bags to prevent mold.

Other things influence the female expression, environment factors and such....
also from the study.....
The sexual expression of cannabis is determined by its genetic makeup, and by its metabolic temper, which is regulated by the male enzyme andrase and the female enzyme gynase. Environmental conditions (light, nutrients, soil and water) may suppress the formation of the dominant enzyme, and allow the opposite sex to express itself partially (hermaphroditism) or completely (sex reversal)

It is a good read that.
Dont forget to watch out for mold! I would forget and Bam! moldy seeds and no good.:Namaste:

I do use whole bananas in the tent whilst in flower, actually I use the intake air duct. I dunno if it works but makes me feel good.

It is not 100% but we did this back in my stealth outdoor days.(1980s)

here is a quote from a book.........
Hemp Husbandry
Robert A. NELSON

Other things influence the female expression, environment factors and such....
also from the study.....

It is a good read that.
Dont forget to watch out for mold! I would forget and Bam! moldy seeds and no good.:Namaste:

I do use whole bananas in the tent whilst in flower, actually I use the intake air duct. I dunno if it works but makes me feel good.

howdy mr.K you've just made my night with that info and reading you've shared with me and it's going to be awsome win or lose.... You mention the bananas in the tent and it does work ..lol
Check with SweetSue as I know she has them in her flowering tent and she reported positively about her findings, it's getting exciting in here......:high-five:

Whats cracking here then?
Colour me intrigued!

mr.Budkins how's this for a awsome lark...haha. sorry if I didn't give you a shout out, I literally tagged the folks whose threads I was on at that time.... but I bet this would apeel to your inquisitive nature I hope..:laugh:

So sounds like 75% females would be a successful trial. ?

Evening mr.G, I suck at maths really, honest truth....haha. But if 75% is a successful number then bring it on ......

Don't forget to burp your bags 1-2 times a day and check seeds for mold....

howdy mr.K you've just made my night with that info and reading you've shared with me and it's going to be awsome win or lose.... You mention the bananas in the tent and it does work ..lol
Check with SweetSue as I know she has them in her flowering tent and she reported positively about her findings, it's getting exciting in here......:high-five:

mr.Budkins how's this for a awsome lark...haha. sorry if I didn't give you a shout out, I literally tagged the folks whose threads I was on at that time.... but I bet this would apeel to your inquisitive nature I hope..:laugh:

Evening mr.G, I suck at maths really, honest truth....haha. But if 75% is a successful number then bring it on ......

Don't forget to burp your bags 1-2 times a day and check seeds for mold....
Yer I got the tag famalam. Oh yer i live for this shit!

You mention the bananas in the tent and it does work ..lol

With the amount of air exchange in the tent I am not sure a couple of banana release enough gas, i dunno. I do it anyway. I have not seen a difference but it makes me feel better:cool:
I just want a happy plant:Namaste:

Other than the B-NaNNa----Apples, Avocados, Mangos..... I have used these as they release ethylene gas.

ethylene gas can be used to trick a plant into ripening its fruits and vegetables earlier, like putting a ripening banana in a paper bag with an unripe avocado to speed up ripening of the avocado. It is an aging hormone.

good afternoon ladies and gents...

So far we are looking all good, the seeds are fine no sign of mold, today is day 4 and I replaced the banana peel yesterday afternoon and I've been burping the bag twice a day but it's nice and cool here so humidity is not a factor for rot and mold to set in I hope..

@kelticBlue thank you kindly you are a gentleman and scholar much appreciated....:high-five:

Good morning guys n gals... So the experiment is going fine, no mouldy seeds at all and Sunday is plant day. I've changed out the banana peels every 3 days with tomorrow being the last banana skin change before planting on Sunday...

And don't forget to burp your bags, get some fresh air in and out.....

See you all on Sunday guys.....

Back
Top Bottom