The Best Strains Of Marijuana For Pain Relief

Did some research... on "The Cannabist" they claim there are 4 strains of 'skinny pot' that won't bring on the munchies:

1. Durban Poison
A search of Colorado testing lab CannLabs’ database only turns up five results with more than .01 percent THCV. It’s no surprise that Durban Poison accounts for three of the samples. This backs up what many claim is one of the most unique traits of Durban: As a landrace strain, the THCV wasn’t bred out of the genetics. While I tend to find Durban Poison causes me anxiety and paranoia at times, perhaps some people are putting that nervous energy to better use. Or they’re just worried about GMOs in their food. Regardless, Durban Poison is a clear winner because of its dispensary ubiquity.

2. XJ-13
Also making CannLabs’ list is XJ-13 from Lakewood’s GoodMeds, a cross of Jack Herer and G13 Haze. This, too, makes a ton of sense as TGA Subcool Seed’s Jack The Ripper is a notorious THCV producer. What I appreciate about this is the heads up cross of G13, the strain supposedly created by the government at the University of Mississippi — not to mention its “American Beauty” fame. It completely mellows out what can be a racy combination of Jack and Haze genetics. Hopefully it can help you avoid the fast food joints instead of quitting your job to work at one.

3. Blue Dream
“Would you stop with the Blue Dream already?” Sure, it was my favorite strain I reviewed in 2014, but that’s because it could have a positive effect on your workout plan. Lots of food athletes I know (I have a Ron Burgandry level appreciation for bipedal exercise) say it gives them the same feeling as a runner’s high after a couple puffs, helping them power through the reps. Very rarely does it put me in the mood to munch, something I rarely say about sativa-dominant hybrids.

4. Doug’s Varin
And here’s the one I’ve not tried yet — though I am on the lookout. Steep Hill Labs has been crushing their analysis on Doug’s Varin (a play on tetrahydrocannabivarin) that I haven’t had the pleasure of smoking yet but would be remiss in not mentioning. Kief from the plant had more than 15 percent THCV, an absolutely huge number compared to most of what’s currently available on the market. Now reportedly stabilized by three different horticulturalists, hopefully I’ll be seeing Doug’s Varin in a dispensary near me soon.

Anyone have thoughts/experiences with these strains?

The pure sativas I grow -mainly Malawi Gold and Mama Thai, as well as Thai Stick and the occasional other strain, don't bring on the munchies at all. They do add some pleasure to the eating experience, but don't make me hungry or lead me to eat any more than usual, unlike indica strains which in my case cause out of control feeding frenzies :( I'm thin and fit and have no weight issues, but don't enjoy having those munchies- it feels unhealthy in more ways than one.
Also- the sativas get me even more busy and active than I would be otherwise, while still allowing me to think clearly.

The pure sativas I grow -mainly Malawi Gold and Mama Thai, as well as Thai Stick and the occasional other strain, don't bring on the munchies at all. They do add some pleasure to the eating experience, but don't make me hungry or lead me to eat any more than usual, unlike indica strains which in my case cause out of control feeding frenzies :(. I'm thin and fit and have no weight issues, but don't enjoy having those munchies- it feels unhealthy in more ways than one.
Also- the sativas get me even more busy and active than I would be otherwise, while still allowing me to think clearly.

Thanks -- looks like Durban Poison and Malawi Gold are my next seed purchases. No wonder I love Africa so much!!

The Malawi I'm growing is from Ace seeds. Flowers in about 12 weeks and is quite strong. It's my go-to smoke for sure- unlike anything else I've smoked and gives a very happy functional psychedelic glow, though it's not a good one to overindulge in if you don't want to be buzzing in circles extremely fast.

I agree. When I see that a strain increases appetite, I try to stay away from it. I have enough problems with food without medicating to feel hungry. :laughtwo:

Thank you! This really helps. What strain is good for weight loss? I get very hungry after I smoke, and I'm gaining weight that I struggled to lose. A strain that would not give me hunger pains is something I'd like in my garden :Namaste:

Just re-reading this thread... I have returned to using cannabis for the past three months, after being totally away from it for 24 years!

One thing it has done for me is help me lose weight. I assume its because of its appetite suppressant characteristics. In any event I have lost about 15 pounds in the past three months. I am very pleased. My GW and I are focusing on nutrition in what we eat, home made soup, juicing, salads, etc etc.

I know there are many other benefits that come with use of cannabis, but this one is a good one for me. I'm still about 25 lbs overweight, so, I look forward to losing that as I balance ...

Can anyone guess what my second favourite health improvement I am experiencing?

So, in our ongoing quest to find the right cannabis to help my wife, with her RA, we have been trying a lot of different things.

Recently, the most effective that I reported here was a "fake" Rick Simpson Oil. I call it fake, because I know RS does not sell his oil.

Anyhow, the FRSO we bought was touted to be 24%THC and somewhat less CBD. I bought one 1-gram syringe, and encapsulated it and my GW started taking two a day, morning and night, each one holding a rice-grain sized dab.

The problem was that it knocked her out. She would take a cap and within 1/2 hour she would be asleep. My view (re-inforced by some of you here) was to let her sleep... So I did.

Then we ran out of the Fake RSO! The dispensary where we got it could not tell me when they would get more. So, I purchased some THC 90mg caps which have helped her with the pain, but with no CBD, I'm concerned there was not much there for inflammation.

So, today I bought something else. Its called XXXXXX 7:27 OIL (7% THC / 27% CBD). I have XXXed out the brand name.. if you want it, PM and I'll pass it on to you. The brand name is the same brand name that was on the fake RSO and so I'm hopeful they will have the same dedication to quality as the fake RSO.

With a low THC and high CBD, I expect this may be just what she needs for both pain relief and inflammation..

I certainly hope so.

I'd be grateful for your comments and suggestion.

So, in our ongoing quest to find the right cannabis to help my wife, with her RA, we have been trying a lot of different things.

Recently, the most effective that I reported here was a "fake" Rick Simpson Oil. I call it fake, because I know RS does not sell his oil.

Anyhow, the FRSO we bought was touted to be 24%THC and somewhat less CBD. I bought one 1-gram syringe, and encapsulated it and my GW started taking two a day, morning and night, each one holding a rice-grain sized dab.

The problem was that it knocked her out. She would take a cap and within 1/2 hour she would be asleep. My view (re-inforced by some of you here) was to let her sleep... So I did.

Then we ran out of the Fake RSO! The dispensary where we got it could not tell me when they would get more. So, I purchased some THC 90mg caps which have helped her with the pain, but with no CBD, I'm concerned there was not much there for inflammation.

So, today I bought something else. Its called XXXXXX 7:27 OIL (7% THC / 27% CBD). I have XXXed out the brand name.. if you want it, PM and I'll pass it on to you. The brand name is the same brand name that was on the fake RSO and so I'm hopeful they will have the same dedication to quality as the fake RSO.

With a low THC and high CBD, I expect this may be just what she needs for both pain relief and inflammation..

I certainly hope so.

I'd be grateful for your comments and suggestion.
Yes a high CBD strain will help more for pain and inflamation.

My concern for her right now is 25% CBD will be to much, maybe not of she is used to CBD.

I smoke and or vape a 12-13% CBD dried strain for pain and inflamation but i want higher as i am used to it now, so either i smoke more of it or get a higher strain, problem is getting a dried strain higher then 15% is hard to come by.

If it were me i would get her a lower dosage in percentage first around 10-15% and see how that is and once she is used to it like over a month or two, up to the 25% to see how it is.

The oils will take longer to kick in about hr or two and last longer then dried cannabis about 4-5 hrs depends on strength and dosage.

Start small dosages first for week or two and up it as needed.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

Yes a high CBD strain will help more for pain and inflamation.

My concern for her right now is 25% CBD will be to much, maybe not of she is used to CBD.

I smoke and or vape a 12-13% CBD dried strain for pain and inflamation but i want higher as i am used to it now, so either i smoke more of it or get a higher strain, problem is getting a dried strain higher then 15% is hard to come by.

If it were me i would get her a lower dosage in percentage first around 10-15% and see how that is and once she is used to it like over a month or two, up to the 25% to see how it is.

The oils will take longer to kick in about hr or two and last longer then dried cannabis about 4-5 hrs depends on strength and dosage.

Start small dosages first for week or two and up it as needed.

Thanks xobeman...I am using very small amounts on this oil. From a 1 gm syringe, I made up 23 capsules. That gives her about 43 mg of oil per capsule, and if its 27%CBD, then I think (if my logic and math is right) that gives her about 11 mg of CBD.

1000mg /23caps = 43 mg
43mg X .27 = 11 mg of CBD per capsule

Is that going to be too much?

Thanks xobeman...I am using very small amounts on this oil. From a 1 gm syringe, I made up 23 capsules. That gives her about 43 mg of oil per capsule, and if its 27%CBD, then I think (if my logic and math is right) that gives her about 11 mg of CBD.

1000mg /23caps = 43 mg
43mg X .27 = 11 mg of CBD per capsule

Is that going to be too much?
11mg maybe a little to strong at first, but try a few on her and see and if thats to strong lower it even more to half of that.

So far the high CBD doesn't seem to be too much for her..we are hopeful that this 7/27 oil will have some lasting benefits.
Sounds good but she will in about couple weeks of use will get use to ot or her body and like anything else may need to increase dosage then, see how it goes let me know in a week or two or if u have any questions anytime.

So far the high CBD doesn't seem to be too much for her..we are hopeful that this 7/27 oil will have some lasting benefits.

The course I took last night gave some guidelines on dosages. Mara's recommendations for pain were 3-5mg of THC during the day with 25mg of CBD, splitting the CBD into two doses. Then between 15-25mg THC at night.

These are optimal doses to shoot for. Not starting doses. Always start small. You appear to have her tolerating the current dose, so work from there. I'd recommend you make a high THC cream and use it liberally. Just the action of applying the cream will support the ECS and encourage healing, not simply pain management.

CBD will reduce the inflammation, but it will do so over time. She has enough inflammation already established that she needs the THC to knock the pain down. Mostly she needs sound sleep so she can function better and with less pain. More sleep = less pain. Less pain = freedom.

I was looking for you in the wrong place and got lost. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Sounds good but she will in about couple weeks of use will get use to ot or her body and like anything else may need to increase dosage then, see how it goes let me know in a week or two or if u have any questions anytime.

Thanks.... she's taking it in capsules (which I make) so when necessary, I can easily increase the dose. I'll stay in touch here...

The course I took last night gave some guidelines on dosages. Mara's recommendations for pain were 3-5mg of THC during the day with 25mg of CBD, splitting the CBD into two doses. Then between 15-25mg THC at night.

These are optimal doses to shoot for. Not starting doses. Always start small. You appear to have her tolerating the current dose, so work from there. I'd recommend you make a high THC cream and use it liberally. Just the action of applying the cream will support the ECS and encourage healing, not simply pain management.

CBD will reduce the inflammation, but it will do so over time. She has enough inflammation already established that she needs the THC to knock the pain down. Mostly she needs sound sleep so she can function better and with less pain. More sleep = less pain. Less pain = freedom.

I was looking for you in the wrong place and got lost. :battingeyelashes: :love:

I found you, Sue..

I think the 7/27 oil mentioned above will do nicely for day time use. I won't be able to break the CBD into 2 doses, as suggested, but I suspect it will be ok. I'll use the same oil for bedtime, and supplement with THC caps or vaporising something fun (can you guess her preference?). :rofl:

As far as sleep/pain goes... I agree lotsa sleep will aid healing. The only problem is that when she first wakens, her RA pain is quite high.

Hmmm. how about a time release capsule? Is there such a thing, that delays release of the contents for 4 hours? I guess not.

Maybe what we'll try is if i waken her gently mid-sleep, help her to take the capsule, and then perhaps its effect will still be hangin' around and may make her rising less painful.

What an interesting study...

I wish I could grow...

Back
Top Bottom