The Branch of Infinite Cloning!

Forestwalker

Hey guys, I am new to cloning magical Dwarfmoss but I am not so new to cuttings from other less magical plants. I have never used a rooting hormone to make the cuttings take root, rather I use Weeping Willow branches. This technique has worked well for making plants take root because of the Auxin that is in the branches. I am a new grower and I am still weary about cutting my plants, so my question to all is have any of you successfully used Willow Branch water to root one of your favorite little clones? If so, did you run into any problems with the roots being too weak or less numerous then it should and how did you remedy the issue.

The reason why I ask is because I go out of the way to do everything as naturally as I can and if I can clone without buying Rooting Hormone then I'll as happy as a mushroom in a cow pattie!

I know tons of people that clone on this site do not even use a rooting hormone.

I've read a couple of posts here recently about using willow branches for cloning, it's interesting stuff! I'll actually be passing by a willow tree tomorrow, I'll have to grab a couple of branches and do an experiment.. Any chance you could drop some hints on preparation? Would you boil them like a tea or is it as simple as dunking the branches in a bucket overnight and you're good to go?

I've read a couple of posts here recently about using willow branches for cloning, it's interesting stuff! I'll actually be passing by a willow tree tomorrow, I'll have to grab a couple of branches and do an experiment.. Any chance you could drop some hints on preparation? Would you boil them like a tea or is it as simple as dunking the branches in a bucket overnight and you're good to go?

Hey Bro! Yeah I have some TotT. :3 With Willow Branch rooting all you have to do is
1) The branch, must be fresh prefer straight from the tree
2) The best branches to use are ones at least a half inch thick
3) Cut the branch into smaller pieces (More surface area for allowing Auxin to release)
4) let the branch sit in water for a long time I usually let it set over night and for a few more hour in the morning.
5) This part can be done one of two ways. A: Let the clipping sit in the water for only a moments time 1 minute or so
and the immediately plant in whatever medium you use or,
B: Let the clipping sit in the water until it roots, then transplant into medium

I've done both of the last step and it works fine but more so then not i wait until i see some hair roots forming. ALSO!!! remember this is my first time trying this on Magical Dwarfmoss but I'm sure it will work fine. Ill actually have a willow branch myself today. Ill try to root it to grow a tree and also try to clone:D ill keep a post on that when I do.

Thanks for the tips dude, much appreciated! :thanks:
Didn't get my branch today but I'll be sure to give it a go in a week or two when my girl's ready for a trim, I'll post my results up for you if I remember.. Will try to do one of each method and see how they get on. My success rate with clones has been sporadic so far, so I'm happy to give it a shot! :)

Dangerzone,

My mate has also had a hard time getting more than sporadic cloning success. I've spent some time with him and from what I've read, and been told over the years, he seems to be doing it right. Do you have some thoughts on what might be going wrong with your attempts ?? The willow "juice" idea has popped up now and again - wonder how it actually goes ? I think it might be one of those "grandma's receipe" type deal that actually work.

yeah, if the both of you could run updates it would be most illuminating . . . . as long as you can remember :riskybusiness:

Hi Kiwibloke,

Unfortunately I never got around to testing this out as other things have come up lately and it's quite a distance to the willow tree, but I'd still like to give it a go sometime. I think it's a great idea and an interesting experiment. When I eventually get around to it, I'll be sure to post my results here!

I've had a couple of thoughts as to why my cloning hasn't been very successful, namely heat and humidity... However this year I think I cracked it! Instead of using plastic bag tents I cut the bottom off some of those large Three-litre cola bottles and used the main bottle part as a 'dome', one per plant, spraying every 8 hours or so with a fine mister to control the humidity. I gave the bottle a good shake before spraying to remove excess water and exchange air. I also kept them on the kitchen window sill rather than in the greenhouse and that stopped them wilting so much from the heat. Furthermore my most successful cutting was much larger than anything I've taken before, at a good 8" tall with 2 leaf nodes before the top leaves, as it was a snapped branch and I wanted to save it. My other 2 cuttings were 5" and 6" with only one node before the top, they've also rooted but were nearly a week slower.

Aside from that everything was as described in the videos/forums. Cut at an angle, dip in rooting gel, trim the leaves etc etc. Guess it's the little things that make all the difference, eh? :laughtwo:

Dangerzone,

My mate has also had a hard time getting more than sporadic cloning success. I've spent some time with him and from what I've read, and been told over the years, he seems to be doing it right. Do you have some thoughts on what might be going wrong with your attempts ?? The willow "juice" idea has popped up now and again - wonder how it actually goes ? I think it might be one of those "grandma's receipe" type deal that actually work.

yeah, if the both of you could run updates it would be most illuminating . . . . as long as you can remember :riskybusiness:

Hey Kiwi, where you live, (just general area not address :), I'm in Christchurch.

I'm abound to try willow tea, so willlet you know. Abut your friend and the sporadic cloning success, does he get almost all hits, or almost all misses at clones taken at different times, or hits and misses with the clones at a specific time.... I don't suppose your mate kept a journal of when, he took, not many hots or misses, what stain of plant?

It's just I'm researching various growing tips at the moment, and if your mate get say 9/10 hits from one lot of clones, yet next time he gets on 2/10 that grew, and they never were that good, as compared to 5/10 where about 5 out of 10 clones grew, it's more likely to be another issue.

So if you are still around, let me know, and we can chat about what it might be.

Cheer

Back
Top Bottom