The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

Nice work both of you :thumb:

I agree with Bassman. You had a screen, why let those runaway branches do that? Just tuck 'em under! :winkyface:

When I get those, I just let them burn a little and adjust my lights so the bulk of the canopy is at the right distance. If a few branches get dumb and reach to close to the "Sun", well it's natural selection in action. :blalol:

After seeing the pics of your croutons, I thoughts about putting them in one of my buckets. Think they could handle getting flooded 3-4 times a day? I'm still gun shy of rockwool. I'm gonna visit my hydro store soon, so if they have some croutons, maybe I'll give it a try. No 1 lb monsters, but we can get a side by side of RW vs rock. We'll see. I've got a lot to do before I leave for a week on Friday! I'm not sure I want to start an experiment and then leave. :hmmmm:

Hiker,

My thoughts on rockwool vs rock, is the rockwool gives you a bit more "ooops" time. We've learned the hard way a 1 pounder will dry up with no water after 3-4 days, but still might give a little longer grace period than rock. Also, transplanting from pot to pot is SO EASY. For you, I think you do everything from start to finish in the same bucket, so that may not be an advantage. The wool really gives the roots a place to "sink in".

I've experimented with irrigating 6x a day to 1x a day. I can't over water. Now, I usually start with 3x a day in early flower, then 1x a day in late flower. For the way you grow, I don't think you would get any more Yield using cubes, but it might be more convenient? I donno... it would be a lot of drip rings to rig up in flower. Your last grow was REALLY nice. Hard to beat that!

Cap

quick response :)

I'm not sure what I hoped to gain other than knowledge and to satisfy my curious nature. :)

For this next round, I will be vegging in the same bucket they finish in, but this will be the last round like that. I'm building out my veg area so I can veg clones for a few weeks before putting them in the flower. Maybe croutons would make my transplant easier. They would certainly stay together better. Rock is not too bad if they can get a little root bound, but the rock is heavier, so you do lose some. The hippy/tree hugger in me likes the reuse aspect of the rock, so I'll be hard pressed to change. I'm just curious about these croutons and think I could run a bucket next to the others with little effort on my part. Experiments are fun! :)

Who knows, maybe I'll switch. I found out that C.A.P., the manufacturer of my Ebb & Gro system, is out of business. That's a bummer. They made a LOT of products I liked better than other brands. Oh well. Anyway, this got me thinking about what system I would replace it with, and that got me thinking about using my existing system for veg and flower in a 5g system. :)

Edit: I forgot to clarify. I wouldn't be using the drip rings. I would just replace the rock in my flood and drain system.

yes sir,those seeds are from Mexican brick,bought myself(what a sad day).few years ago I dropped 15 in the soil 13 females came up,I took what I thought the best to be a mother

I put them into flower 9/18-to me it seems a very short flower time 50-60 days max
never grown this style before,but ive found a home,lol
my only experience with water was 3 runs of dwc-ok results
half a dozen or so in soil

yes I have another one coming out,but after seeing "tiny" im vegging another month,get rid of my inlaws and she will be ready to go into12/12 jan 1st

ive been very lucky in the fact,that I seem to be able to smoke,something in the end---but im very much a newb,and I cant thank a lot of you guys on here,THE CAPN AND YOU, have rejuvenated ,my want to be better
gardner

What you just said makes it all worthwhile, better than some contest of the month prize package, to me it means so much to help, I love the hard work even if its no reward at all just helping someone is worth it. I don't help to get anything in return and usually nobody notices but you did and I want to say thank you for that

OK the moment you've been waiting for.
Weights and pics are in.
For a little over 6 weeks of 12/12 the critical netted (dried and trimmed off of the branches) 17.35 ounces.
Here is a few pics
One of her last moment of glory
DSCN09114.JPG
DSCN08975.JPG
DSCN08633.JPG
DSCN07996.JPG
DSCN07737.JPG

Heres some final harvests pics
DSCN11893.JPG
DSCN11873.JPG
DSCN11916.JPG
DSCN124110.JPG

So please remember this plant was pretty well dead after being severly dehydrated. 100% my fault, as lots of you know I forgot to push the auto/on/off button and it stayed on OFF for two full days, 12 feeding it missed. I watered it on and off all night and it was worse the next day. So I consider this a forfeit, I wasnt able to keep it to full term. I also want you to remember when the cap'n releases his weights he did it with a 600 watt HPS, I ran a 1000 watt brand new hortilux super hps. Point being is run the numbers GPW wise and no matter how you look at it
THE CAP'N is the WINNER:thumb::high-five::bravo:

I also want to say Thank You Cap! I couldn't have done it without you and please know I am already prepping my next oddity. Her name is "Revenge for Tiny" haha
OK so now I am a legit member of the 1 LBS Club, whats the next achievement going to be? 2?
Didn't you tell me theres a RDWC guy who claims he got 1.35 off one single plant? So maybe I'll shoot for 1.5? I dont think Tiny's goal of 32 zips will happen but there's a chance she can net more than 1.35.

Thanks again, feel free everyone to visit my new "2nd Journal" 4000 watts and everyones welcome, LINK is in my Signature.
Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and happy cap'n style growing in the future

If you got 1.35 from a plant that was prematurely killed, imagine what her weight would be if there wasn't that mishap?

If you got 1.35 from a plant that was prematurely killed, imagine what her weight would be if there wasn't that mishap?

I'm getting ready to get a final weight today, but I'm sure I'm not over 17.35 ounces. (just to clarify, sling was saying there is a chance Tiny will produce 1.35).

VERY VERY nice sling. Like sky was saying, If you had gone another two weeks, you surely would have beaten my record of 20zips (1.25). Nevertheless, 17.35 is amazing.

To our subscribers... the pictures don't do a 1+ pounder justice. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you chop one of these babies down. It's not difficult either. If you follow a simple recipe, you can do it too. Granted, an experienced farmer (like sling) will always produce more.

I'll be right back with my final weights and pictures.

>>Just throw a little lemon juice and salt on those open wounds Sky

Sky puts lemon juice in his reservoir. ha ha Just teasing, sky!

I am actually thinking to swap out the PH down with lemon juice. Light Addict uses LJ with no issues and it has a good amount of K in it.

To the readers just now joining us: This was a fun "cook off" journal; two farmers, two plants, grown in grodan rockwool grow cubes (aka croutons). The plants were in vegetative growth for two months, and then flowered for two months. This thread demonstrates this style of growing as taught in my "simple hydroponics" article. This was slingblade's first attempt growing in rockwool cubes, after switching from a coco mix. Sling has much experience, but it goes to show how easy it is to be successful using this simple method.

Since the simple hydroponics thread, we've had at least three people give it a try. I know there are dozens more of you hiding. I continue to see dirt growers struggle with slow growth, spotty leaves, nutrient deficiencies, and dirty grow rooms. Moving to cubes allows you to correct any PH or PPM drifts immediately, without worrying about over watering (most common mistake). It's an easy switch from dirt.

AfricanGrower amazing 2' x 4' tent

Skybound On his way to an awesome cabinet grow

c526 c526 had a mishap where his nutrient level got way too high, but nevertheless, a huge success.

Final summary:

Light: 600W Apollo HPS (seems to be a fine bulb for $20)
Strain: TGA Orange (Great smoke, but not a huge cola maker)
Grow method: Recirculating top feed rockwool grow cubes
Nutrients: General Hydroponics + beneficial tea
Room temp: 65-77

If you're not doin it "Capn Style", I don't know what the hell you're doin!

20131006_181338.jpg

FullObuds.jpg

Here's some desktop wallpaper for ya:

Wallpaper2.jpg

3 bags.
188grams
100grams
181grams
469 grams Total / 28.3495 = 16.54oz = 1.03 lbs. no stems, no seeds. I can't complain. Sling beat me and he only flowered 6 weeks! I blame it on my strain ;-) :high-five:

Weight.jpg

For anyone interested in what sling and TheCapn are doing next.

Here is a link to sling's monster named TINY. He has amped up the same exact grow method, but this time vegging a little longer and using a 5 x 5 screen instead of a 4 x 4 screen. His plant is staggering, and on track to produce 1.5lbs. sling has completely switched over from a coco mix to cubes. Check it out here.

image5415.jpg

TheCapn is still doing cubes, and trying to catch up with Tiny, but I'm also branching out with a fun aero grow. This grow is purely experimental so put away your notebooks on this one.

BigAero.jpg

Thanks for watching all.

Ok so you you exceeded your goal by 1.35 oz of a plant that was force finished 2 weeks early. So this new grow has more wattage and square feet of scrog, I think your 1.5lb goal is setting the bar a little low IMO. You had a mishap that caused you to come out above your goal. I think s1ing keeps horseshoes in his pockets cuz damn! 1.5 is DEFINITELY doable for you s1ing, and based upon the cookoff results, I'm predicting 2.0-2.4. Just my opinion.

To the readers just now joining us: This was a fun "cook off" journal; two farmers, two plants, grown in grodan rockwool grow cubes (aka croutons). The plants were in vegetative growth for two months, and then flowered for two months. This thread demonstrates this style of growing as taught in my "simple hydroponics" article. This was slingblade's first attempt growing in rockwool cubes, after switching from a coco mix. Sling has much experience, but it goes to show how easy it is to be successful using this simple method.

Since the simple hydroponics thread, we've had at least three people give it a try. I know there are dozens more of you hiding. I continue to see dirt growers struggle with slow growth, spotty leaves, nutrient deficiencies, and dirty grow rooms. Moving to cubes allows you to correct any PH or PPM drifts immediately, without worrying about over watering (most common mistake). It's an easy switch from dirt.

AfricanGrower amazing 2' x 4' tent

Skybound On his way to an awesome cabinet grow

c526 c526 had a mishap where his nutrient level got way too high, but nevertheless, a huge success.

Final summary:

Light: 600W Apollo HPS (seems to be a fine bulb for $20)
Strain: TGA Orange (Great smoke, but not a huge cola maker)
Grow method: Recirculating top feed rockwool grow cubes
Nutrients: General Hydroponics + beneficial tea
Room temp: 65-77

If you're not doin it "Capn Style", I don't know what the hell you're doin!

20131006_181338.jpg

FullObuds.jpg

Here's some desktop wallpaper for ya:

Wallpaper2.jpg

3 bags.
188grams
100grams
181grams
469 grams Total / 28.3495 = 16.54oz = 1.03 lbs. no stems, no seeds. I can't complain. Sling beat me and he only flowered 6 weeks! I blame it on my strain ;-) :high-five:

Weight.jpg

For anyone interested in what sling and TheCapn are doing next.

Here is a link to sling's monster named TINY. He has amped up the same exact grow method, but this time vegging a little longer and using a 5 x 5 screen instead of a 4 x 4 screen. His plant is staggering, and on track to produce 1.5lbs. sling has completely switched over from a coco mix to cubes. Check it out here.

image5415.jpg

TheCapn is still doing cubes, and trying to catch up with Tiny, but I'm also branching out with a fun aero grow. This grow is purely experimental so put away your notebooks on this one.

BigAero.jpg

Thanks for watching all.

Sorry all Tiny is under or in a 6 by 6 screen, its the "Cookies" that are in the 5 by 5.
So Tiny has almost filled the whole 36 sq. feet lol

the critical plus aka my entry plant was in a 4 by 4 screen
sorry I probably told ya 5by5 but its bigger

as it sits,(I had 2 plants)i totaled out at 715 grams,,for me, an incredible 25.5 oz--plus 5- gallon bags of trim for edibles

my best to date was under 6oz per plant

with the capn's methods he gave me a 125% increase in yield

not sure why EVERYONE isn't doing this method,im freakin sold

I have one more swaggg plant coming up,, im finally going to order "real" seeds

71513.JPG

:goodjob:

Holy cookie jars, batman. Are those the 1 quart mason jars or the 2 quart? If 2 quart, what are the measurements?

Bravo c526! I wish you could share some of that with me ;-)

Looking forward to a start to finish journal from you.

Sling, sorry to mis-state tiny's cage. 6 x 6 is crazy big.

Thanks capn,the humbleness of all you great teachers on this board is outstanding,in a world where it seems that everyone is trying to f everyone,you guys come in and lesson us newbs,give us answers,almost before we have question.I cant thank you,and the other "masters" enough

They are 1 gt jars and the cookie jar holds 5 jars inside it,and I mean the jars themselves ,inside that cookie jar is 375grams

I put a lighter in this photo for comparison

71514.JPG

great results guys, impressive yield , wonder if you could do this with a mixture of shredded rw cubes and root plugs i save all my failed root plugs i had the idea of sterilizing them and growing in them i also have a bunch of failed rw cubes,you can sterilize them in a pressure cooker or autoclave,

One Word: MAPITO :thumb:

One Word: MAPITO :thumb:
Here is a cut from my critical plus aka my cook off entry plant that dehydrated. The Mapito isn't as chunked up with the colorful or died poly urethane foam pieces, I pulled out some crazy big chunks and also tried to get one piece of each color in there to show, its always so much lighter? Hey AG, sounds like your the Mapito man? With it draining constantly faster than straight rw should I increase the frequency of waterings?
Thanks man:high-five:
image5497.jpg

Nice job Capn. :thumb:

I like the new avatar. :winkyface:
Keep this one. It's hard to catch when folks change. :blalol:

great results guys, impressive yield , wonder if you could do this with a mixture of shredded rw cubes and root plugs i save all my failed root plugs i had the idea of sterilizing them and growing in them i also have a bunch of failed rw cubes,you can sterilize them in a pressure cooker or autoclave,

Great idea IMHO. Couldn't you just use an oven? You can't hurt the rockwool, not sure about those rapid rooters though. How hot does it need to get? My oven's self clean mode will get very hot, like at least 750F.

Back
Top Bottom