The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

>>> Hey AG, sounds like your the Mapito man? With it draining constantly faster than straight rw should I increase the frequency of waterings?

What can I say, thank you for your words, but in no way am I the mapito man haha! Just really eager to experiment with it. From talking with the Capn, the main reason for testing it out is for exactly the reason you just described above: "constantly draining faster"! With that I say YES, increase frequency, and lets see if she'll be able to absorb more at a faster rate, equaling faster growth rates overall ;)

if I wasn't subbed I am now
I gotta ask how the heck do you guys read all these journals lol
I think im subbed to too many as it is
Weederfull week to ya sling :thumb:

One Word: MAPITO :thumb:
One problem your talking spending $ I'm talking recycling ,I've looked at Mapito I think I have enough scraps of stuff around here to make my own lol
Nice job Capn. :thumb:

I like the new avatar. :winkyface:
Keep this one. It's hard to catch when folks change. :blalol:

Great idea IMHO. Couldn't you just use an oven? You can't hurt the rockwool, not sure about those rapid rooters though. How hot does it need to get? My oven's self clean mode will get very hot, like at least 750F.
you prob could but I have some buts lol with a pressure cooler/autoclave you get pressurized steam that forces it's way into every tiny crevices temps only need to get up to 250f ish for 30 min at 10lbs pressure easy for a common 20$ 5 qt cooler, I think at 76ers root plugs would burn up! And surely the binder would break down,but what got me thinking was the rapid rooters say they can be autoclaved , so I think it's worth a shot I have enough saved to fill at least 1 2gal smartpot:thumb:

I'm super big on recycling and re-purposing

ok I guess I got a little mixed up with all the journals im subbed to so far happy turkey day capn

With that I say YES, increase frequency, and lets see if she'll be able to absorb more at a faster rate, equaling faster growth rates overall ;)

I'm very noob, so please any ignorance I show with this question...

But, if you can do hydroponics without a medium, Wouldn't that allow for the greatest absorption of water and nutes? Does a medium add something to a grow that medium-less hydroponics is lacking? If we could quantify the maximum rate at which a plant could absorb nutrients would the medium matter at all?

I'm sure there is a big piece of the picture that I'm missing, since when it comes to this stuff I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, but the question struck and I thought I'd ask. :hmmmm:

this is actually not a small simple answer lol
ill let someone else who knows a more simple short answer take it
my answer would be paragraphs and I don't like typing lol

I'm very noob, so please any ignorance I show with this question...

But, if you can do hydroponics without a medium, Wouldn't that allow for the greatest absorption of water and nutes? Does a medium add something to a grow that medium-less hydroponics is lacking? If we could quantify the maximum rate at which a plant could absorb nutrients would the medium matter at all?

I'm sure there is a big piece of the picture that I'm missing, since when it comes to this stuff I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, but the question struck and I thought I'd ask. :hmmmm:

ok lets try this again
first of all you can do hydro without a medium
and it does allow for greatest absorption because of the oxygen I think lol
if you mean medium for hydro I would say no it doesn't add anything but something to hold a bit of water nutes but wont stay in very long
what it will do is hold salts
if you mean medium for hydro ie coco it doesn't really matter cause you can do it with just water
hydroton I don't consider a medium its just something to hold the plant up lol
if soil it builds salts and doesn't have excess amounts of o2 actually can suffocate the roots
the more oxygen the roots gets the more water nutes it can absorb I think its late bedtime lol
I hope that answered it cause that's the short version
I had to think about it for a bit but there is a much longer version id rather not type out lol

Medium-less is a poor adjective as it implies there is nothing there. There is what Chronic just laid out, but also the inert medium blocks light which roots don't seem to like. It gives something to anchor to as in hydroton and rockwool. There seems to be a split in the ways these two mediums can be used whereas top feed, NFT or other gentle ways of introducing water to the medium seem to be matched for rock wool. Hydroton seems to be best for DWC and aero. I interpret that rock wool is the more active medium of the 2 as it promotes lateral root growth and balances the air to water ratio in the medium and hydroton is just a reusable inert medium that doesn't have any other function except to hold the plant steady and block light. At the moment I am growing in rock wool mini cubes (croutons) with a top feed to a separate runoff tank. I admit that I am having pretty severe ph fluctuations in my res, but the croutons are an absolute dream to grow in. The growing method is The Capn's Simple Hydroponic which calls for frequent transplanting, and because of this, I am able to always check my roots. They are a perfect blast white and are developing really nicely. I also am setup to grow in net pots with hydroton, but I will try that road again in the future b/c those types of grows are usually dependent on res temps, already learned that the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom