The Cave Nears Completion

notrax420

Ok so when i decided that i wanted to grow my own, I knew i needed a place that would be impossible to find. Garage? Attic? Nope garage no secure and no elctricity. Attic, no, too much noise that is easily heard from the level below, plus there is nothing in the attic so i have no excuse or business being up there. The last place would be a crawl space that is an offshoot out of my basements foundation. BINGO. There are two square 20'' by 20'' square holes to access it and thats it. they are also about 4.5 feet off the ground so a ladder is in order to even get in. The crawl space was about three feet high of space when i first started. and approximately 10 feet by 8 feet. The first step was to dig out the crawl space. Mostly clay that hasnt been touched for about 80 years. This was a chore just to loose. and to remove i would fill two 2gallon buckets, take them out and go dump them. this took damn near month. i also had to insulate the ceiling and cover with cardboard to dampen the sound from going up. The next thing i did was find some nice free 3'' thick insulation on craigslist. I then covered the dirt with tarps and outdoor carpet. Needless to say this was quite a chore mostly for two reasons. 1) i was squating most of the time until i got the room dugout. I still have to duck sort of, as I'm 6 feet and the walking level is about 5 feet. and 2) taking everything in and out through a small hole elevated up 4.5 feet. I built a bloom box and a veg box. Obviously i built them in my outside work area, took them apart, brought the parts into the cave and them reassembled. I still have to bring in the bloom box, but once i set up the veg box i had to germinate some seeds. I started this process in early Feb, and was hoping i could start growing way sooner, but what can you do.

Oh and I have done most of this process for free, here is what i bought so far;
3 26W Cfl's 4.95 a piece and as you see in my pics, 1 fell out and broke
Mexican Guano $6.95
Indonesian Guano $7.95
Rootech Gel $2.95
Ph Test Kit $4.95
FFOF $19.95
perlite $4.95
Blackstrap Molasses $8.00
50# dolomite lime $3.95

so ive spent about 75 bucks so far. I will be adding a bunch of 27K Cfls for my bloom box, and i will need to get some flex duct to vent the old air out

I still have a few concerns, mainly

Ventilation. I am worried about getting the old stinky air out. I will need atleast 25 feet of duct to vent to my chimney. this is the way i want to go. or about 10 feet to vent out of the side of basement but that is at ground level and under my house windows and about ten feet from my neighbor. any input of fan requirments to push steady air out the 25 ft length to my chimney. There would be 3 90degree bends to get from my cave to the chimney. thanks for looking and input

DoNotEnter.jpg

CaveViewWest.jpg

CaveViewEast.jpg

Entrance1.JPG

FullView1.JPG

InsideCounts.JPG

Born_3-13-10.JPG

wow man! i am very impressed! just make sure to get a high velocity fan for the ventilation. keep us posted.

thanks lighter... yeah all that lugging of dirt out that hole over a month really got me in shape. I also forgot to add that i got a bunch of free 3'' thick insulation off craigslist, and the cave is cold at night, so a little space heater warms that sucker up to par in about three minutes. i think i basically have the world largest styrofoam cooler. :)

thanks for the kind word fellas. the humidity was low. but i have a space heater and a humidifier and its feeling tropical right now. temp is 75 and i do not know the actual humidity as i am waiting for my guage to arrive.

well so far my seeds have yet to break surface. i am going on day three since planting. I soaked them for 24 hours and all six sank, and seemed ready to crack. i am having second thoughts about not waiting for the tap root, but i read something about leaving them in the water to long will lead to mold or rotting. Should i be concerned that they are popping out of the soil yet? i am tempted to germ a few more seeds, but maybe i should give it a couple more days as i have avery limited supply of seeds at the moment.

another thing. thinking about the 25 foot span to vent out the chimney, should i maybe just fan air in, and passive out that long shoot? the room would be completely sealed besides my intake, vent line out, and the enterance door which is near airtight. Im just thinking that line to vent out is too far and with three 90 degree bends will be hard to force air out. i dont know im really struggling with this as im limited on funds and a proper blower/fan for that is almost out of the question at the moment.

To start you could do the 25' stretch and for now, use some pc fans or small inexpensive inline duct booster fans to at least get the stale air moving in that direction until you can aquire a blower if you would even need one.
FYI- I snagged all of my blowers off ebay for a third of their retail cost to save $

Given that you literally are in a cave underground you will probably deal with less heat issues than us surface dwellers. Any consideration be given to hid lighting?

my concern is not the heat, its the notion of getting the "stinky" air out of the house and up so my neighbors arent smelling it. so maybe like you said i can just rig some fans to some flex duct and maybe do an ONA bucket in the cave and just see if it works. i still have atleast a month til that point. HID's i havent given much thought to them as i have never grown indoors. but if after a grow or two and my buds arent big and somewhat dense or if the yield is low, then id consider a 400 HPS but for now im doin the cheapest way possible as i can that is somehwhat respectable. anyhow thanks again for all the kind words and help. Peace

woohoo. last night none were up. this morning about 9am three were poking through. now we have 4 up, 1 poppin, and 1 that is still under. I have the frame for my flower box in place, and man my cave is suddenly a tight fit again. Well i've decided to just put in ONA with a bucket and fan (aka Roseman ONA Diffuser) in the flower box and have a passive exhaust out of the cave to the shorter vent outlet on the side of the house. this will be about 10 feet instead of 25 feet. thanks for the info and tips so far to everyone that has shared their opinions, I appreciate it.

3-17_7_.JPG

3-17_6_.JPG

3-17_5_.JPG

3-17_4_.JPG

3-17_3_.JPG

3-17_2_.JPG

3-17.JPG

added another 23W 6500K. and two 30W 2700's. they were on sale at menards for like 3.50 a piece so i got them. output 2000 lumens so my mother/veg box is at 10,400 lumens. and its 18 inches by 30 inches. i have the frame and a couple walls on the flower box. and my cave is lookin damn good. get a few pics up tomorrow...peace

well here is day three for the 5 seedlings. they seem to be enjoying the added 2700k lighting. I am using 2'' and 3'' thick styrofoam insulation sheets for the sides of my flower box. and then i will be putting in mylar(emergency blankets) on all sides.

here is a shot of the frame and a couple sides of the flower box:
flowerboxbuild.JPG

notice the wide leaves and then the slim leaves on the other. bagseeds YEAH
3-19_wide_slim.JPG

3-19_wide_closup.JPG

3-19_up_down.JPG

3-19_slim_closeup.JPG

3-19_med_closeup.JPG

3-19_curved_med.JPG

this lil lady is smiling at the sun :)
3-19_V-leaf_closeup.JPG

3-19_6cups.JPG