The DIY COB Addiction

The thing that shows how much watts your using.. dude have you seen the spectrum analysis on the vero 29 ultra series? Holy shit
420-magazine-mobile1539227889.jpg

In the video you sent he's not showing what you are talking to me about (current/volt meter)

I'm on the bridgelux site and as i can see the ultra series is only available in vero 18 :( am i wrong ?

In the video you sent he's not showing what you are talking to me about (current/volt meter)

I'm on the bridgelux site and as i can see the ultra series is only available in vero 18 :( am i wrong ?

Decor ultra is available in Vero 10,13,18 only.
There is a Decor 29 and a "Class A" 29 that put out almost 18000 lumens at test.

I can help greatly with this. I own a grow light company and my biggest seller is the Vero 29 array. First let's discuss your grow space. How big is it?
Well, it's a 4 x 4 x 6.

I will buy parts every 2-3 week because of the budget :( (already invested 1200$ for my full setup and things around in the last 2 weeks, not a big amount but when you're alone and have a house and many other bills to pay ..!)

I was thinking of a 3 x 3 cobs (one every 16 inch) or a 3 2 3 cobs (which is not the best)

Looking to put 2 different type of cob to cover larger spectrum lights, using watt meter ( volt, current, watt/h, watt output), linear potentiometer on each driver and i think that's about it all !

Well, it's a 4 x 4 x 6.

I will buy parts every 2-3 week because of the budget :( (already invested 1200$ for my full setup and things around in the last 2 weeks, not a big amount but when you're alone and have a house and many other bills to pay ..!)

I was thinking of a 3 x 3 cobs (one every 16 inch) or a 3 2 3 cobs (which is not the best)

Looking to put 2 different type of cob to cover larger spectrum lights, using watt meter ( volt, current, watt/h, watt output), linear potentiometer on each driver and i think that's about it all !

It's very hard to arrange things in sets of three. You can do it but you end up with driver's that don't meet the constant current requirement to run in cc mode.
The best and cheapest set up is the z euro 29 BXRC — 40E10K0 — D — 73. You can run 4 on a HLG-185h-c1400b at 59w each for a total of 200 W.
As for the mixed colour spectrum you can do it one of three ways. You can use the 4000 K 80CRI chip mixed with 4000k 90 cri You can use the 4000k mixed with 3500 or 3000k at 90 CRI.
Or you can mix the 4000k with the new 1750k deep red (bxrc-17e10k0) and use the deep reds as a sunrise sunset simulator on a separate driver.
Which ever arrangement you choose is up to you and you can make any of the systems switchable to save electricity by switching on the 4000 K vegetative Cobs for the veg stage And then flipping the switch to add the flowering COBs during bloom.
Hope this helps.

Well, it's a 4 x 4 x 6.

You may be able to fit 3 Vero 29 SE on a HLG-120h-c1400.
I've never tried it. It holds a 108v load and 3 SE's at 36.2v per cob x 3 comes to 108.6. 0.6 v over limit. But it may work.

Thanks for that video it's perfect, I thought I had already watched all of your videos long before I got on 420 but I guess I missed the part where them were the 72v versions

It's on there data sheet
420-magazine-mobile342823.jpg

The 56G Decor is not a great chip.
Not nearly as powerful as the Gen7 or SE versions. 9000 lumens is low for a 5600K chip. The average on a 5700k is well over 13,000 at test current.
I'd stick with the Gen7 and SE chips. The only decor chip I recommend is the 1750k as a HPS replacement.
Plus anything in the 5000k range is strictly veg.

I want to mix chips because i cannot afford 2 setup, i'm able to invest 500-600$ for a diy light (excluding aluminium because i have very cheap) that's why i want to mix chips on separate driver with potentiometer to have 2 setup for veg and bloom !!

I want to mix chips because i cannot afford 2 setup, i'm able to invest 500-600$ for a diy light (excluding aluminium because i have very cheap) that's why i want to mix chips on separate driver with potentiometer to have 2 setup for veg and bloom !!

How does mixing the chips make it cheaper?

Does not make it cheaper ! But i want to mix chips to have full spectrum for veg and bloom, i've seen setup for veg tent and for bloom tent! Sorry if i'm not explaining myself well...

There is a common misconception that you need to mix the chips up to get a full spectrum of color. This is untrue. It probably stems from the long history of people having to use Metal halide for blues for vegetation and high pressure sodium for its reds for flowering.
To put it visually.
MH (Metal halide) with some blues, mostly green/yellow and little red.
420-magazine-mobile1142205341.jpg

HPS with little blues, mostly yellows and some reds.
420-magazine-mobile1391537312.jpg

Now this is where using a semi conductor based lighting source is superior to an iincandescent basedlighting source.
With semiconductors you can have all sorts of colours already combined on one chip. This is known as a chip on board semi conductor or COB.
This allows you to have "full spectrum" LED light. Luckily for us growers it just so happens that LED COBs produce the exact spectrum required for photosynthesis to occur at optimal conditions. These are known as the chlorophyl A and B regions of photosynthesis. There are 2. One A and B group in the blue spectrum and one A and B group in the red spectrum.
420-magazine-mobile1286590239.jpg

Vero 29
420-magazine-mobile1307751775.jpg

Vero overlap with daylight spectrum.
420-magazine-mobile311174973.jpg

So you could quite literally go right now and order four Vero 29 BXRC-40E10K0-D-73 chips and a HLG 185h-C1400b, one potentiometer from future electronics and be growing weed under led cob by Monday.
Using two colour temperatures with LED Cobbs is beneficial if you want to get more Reds or Deeper (660-730nm) reds during flowering but seeing as you still have to spend at least a month or two to actually grow the weed before you can flower I would strongly recommend investing in a "4000 K all purpose array" to get started. You can veg and bloom under the Vero 29 4000 K lights perfectly on their own.

Thanks for all this informations !
It sure does really help, as i said earlier i already have mars reflector 192 with 5w chips !
I'll finish this grow with my mars hydro but i'll start buying piece for my cobs :) So i'll go with 3 2 3 build with 8 cobs.
I'll keep following this post and still be reading and comparing data sheet to try to better understand

If i could go back and rebuild from scratch i would go 3000k/90cri for the whole lot... No mixing at all. The only reason i added the 2700/90's to my build was that i wanted some more red in my spectrum.. The 3500/3000k to me is the best all-arounder chip there is.. As long as there 90cri..If you haven't been doing your homework on the cri battles going on, you should check them out..
420-magazine-mobile2095303231.jpg

These are citi clu048-1812's, left is 90cri,right is 80cri...both 3500k..
Same clone, res, temps, distance from canopy.. 90 side is coming down this week.. 80 will be another week or 2.. Guy says the 90 colas are bigger and denser.. And obviously faster.. He does par tests throughout the grow.. 80 has a higher par in 400-700 range, as he shows.. But the 90cri grows bigger, faster plants...
Heres the pic from this week..
420-magazine-mobile1011265604.jpg

If i were you i would get straight vero29's 3000 or 3500k 90cri and be done with it..
The pics say alot..
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom