The Dog House

That one big bud makes me think of the old monster sized rolling paper you got with Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo LP back in the early 70's iirc.

Well this really sucks. If I didn't have what little class I do have I would swear up and down on this post...effing powder mold.
Before I left for a wedding this afternoon I check the plants, all seemed well. I give the sour grapes a few squeezes and smell my fingers, then the purple trash. After I smell the PT I dig into the big top cola to get a trich sample. This is when I notice deep in the bud, a coating of white powder. PISSED! I really thought I had it under control. Some buds have no mold so they will be salvageable but will have to get cut early.
Luckily the sour grapes looks fine. Now the PT will have to come down tomorrow. Probably a week too early at least.

I had bought some stuff called Fungaflor. It comes in a can that you set off (like a flea bomb) but read online it is for greenhouses only, not living quarters. My only other option is burning sulfer, but that seems like it will stink everything up bad.

If you're talking about Powdery Mildew, you can probably salvage most of your bud by spraying it with a skim milk and water solution from a spray bottle and let it sun dry while the plant is still alive.

1 part Skim Milk (AKA Non Fat Milk) to 9 parts RO water. Kills the fungi tendrils on contact and if you spray the bud a few hours later with distilled or RO water, you can wash the mold material away leaving your bud intact and in most cases still smokeable! Unlike any kind of chemical fungicide which can be toxic if ingested. :thumb:

I get PM up here all the time cause it is native to the forest floor up here in the Sierra, so we have learned how to work around it since it gets on everything I grow outside at least once or twice in a season. Been using the milk/water solution more lately than the Baking Soda/water I have used as well. The Milk/water has no side effects on the plants, whereas the Baking Soda can burn buds and leaves because of the sodium.

They say that PM infects most Cannabis plants grown outdoors and a good percentage of those grown indoors as well. The powder you see on the leaves is the last sign of the infection, so if you see it on your leaves, the entire plant is infected with it at the cellular level. Only way to totally eradicate it is to destroy the plant which wouldn't be practical for most of us.

The only part of PM that has the "potential" to be harmful if ingested is the white powder you see, so if you can get rid of that, you should be fine.

Hope that helps! :)

That helps a lot Goldengoose, thank you. It also gives me piece of mind knowing the harmful part is the visible powder. I've searched and searched for the effects of PM if in ingested, or what parts will harm us. I did use the baking soda method when I noticed it on the leaves earlier in the grow. That was when I read it is like herpes is to people, can't get rid of it just have to control it. I might give that milk spray a shot. This cola is so dense though, it may be tough to get it all out. I tried water curing my last grow that got PM, in hindsight it was not bad enough for that to be necessary. This one is pretty bad.
Thanks again.

No problem! I know the feeling when you first see it on one of your plants! Even though we deal with it all the time, it still sucks when it hits a previously untouched plant!

Check out this article on why the milk/water solution works as well as the toxic stuff! (better in my experience!)

Click HERE

Since this control method doubles as a good foliar feed, it makes sense to spray your potentially infected plants with this every couple of days as a preventative measure whether you see the powder or not. Doing so actually feeds and strengthens your plant's immune system at the same time! Doesn't get much better than that! :thumb:

P.S. If I get any on my buds, I try to deal with it BEFORE the chop and I adjust the spray bottle to shoot a stream like a squirt gun, so I can direct the solution just at the points where the powder is, and avoid getting any other parts of the bud wet. Better on buds than a spray setting. Spray is best for fan leaves though.

No problem! I know the feeling when you first see it on one of your plants! Even though we deal with it all the time, it still sucks when it hits a previously untouched plant!

Check out this article on why the milk/water solution works as well as the toxic stuff! (better in my experience!)

Click HERE

Since this control method doubles as a good foliar feed, it makes sense to spray your potentially infected plants with this every couple of days as a preventative measure whether you see the powder or not. Doing so actually feeds and strengthens your plant's immune system at the same time! Doesn't get much better than that! :thumb:

P.S. If I get any on my buds, I try to deal with it BEFORE the chop and I adjust the spray bottle to shoot a stream like a squirt gun, so I can direct the solution just at the points where the powder is, and avoid getting any other parts of the bud wet. Better on buds than a spray setting. Spray is best for fan leaves though.

Great read. Plus rep! :thumb:

Indeed, +rep for that, Goose!

Thanks guys! Most appreciated! :thumb:

It is always neat when you find a new treatment for a plant problem, especially something as common and widespread as PM! Most of us have had to deal with this stuff at least once, and most of us wish it was only once! :laughtwo:

I have been using the milk/water treatment as a preventative measure since the beginning of this growing season and my PM problem has been significantly reduced as a result. The best part is that the treatment costs virtually nothing! :thumb:

I'm sure that you guys will see similar results. :)

Thanks again for the reps! :thanks::yahoo:

All right-back on track with positivity! :thumb:

Yesterday was Sour Grapes harvest! :yahoo:

420_356.jpg

420_357.jpg

420_359.jpg

420_360.jpg

420_361.jpg

420_362.jpg

420_363.jpg

420_365.jpg

I pulled the stake out to see if she could support her weight some. Not a chance lol
420_366.jpg

Fan leaves plucked. Notice the two essentials on the table for a Sunday morning cutting.
420_367.jpg

420_369.jpg

I'm hoping to get an ounce dried out of this one. Buds are very dense and resinous. :yummy:

Final weight on the Sour Grapes was 22 grams. I could have let her get a little bigger during veg. In hindsight I was too cautious of over growth. I'm headed in another direction so that strain is out anyway. Pics to come of cured buds.

Unfortunately the Purple Trash lost its battle with that dang powdery mildew. I am currently water curing a lot of it as the PM was too deep in the flowers to remedy.

Pics to come of that as well.

Final weight on the Sour Grapes was 22 grams. I could have let her get a little bigger during veg. In hindsight I was too cautious of over growth. I'm headed in another direction so that strain is out anyway. Pics to come of cured buds.

Unfortunately the Purple Trash lost its battle with that dang powdery mildew. I am currently water curing a lot of it as the PM was too deep in the flowers to remedy.

Pics to come of that as well.

Hey Yarddog!

Congrats on the harvest even if it wasn't exactly what you would have preferred. Chalk it up to a learming experience and apply it to the next grow! :thumb:

Also sorry to hear about the Purple Trash. Man! The PM must have been especially nasty if you had to trash the whole thing! Again...Chalk it up to experience for next time! Remember that you can use the Milk/Water solution on healthy plants too to help protect them from a PM attack before it happens or at least before it spreads so deep into your buds!

Fortunately, I have never had it take out a harvest, but it is a constant battle around here cause the stuff is everywhere in the forest behind my house, so the spores are in the air no matter what I do.

Hey Yarddog!

Congrats on the harvest even if it wasn't exactly what you would have preferred. Chalk it up to a learming experience and apply it to the next grow! :thumb:

Also sorry to hear about the Purple Trash. Man! The PM must have been especially nasty if you had to trash the whole thing! Again...Chalk it up to experience for next time! Remember that you can use the Milk/Water solution on healthy plants too to help protect them from a PM attack before it happens or at least before it spreads so deep into your buds!

Fortunately, I have never had it take out a harvest, but it is a constant battle around here cause the stuff is everywhere in the forest behind my house, so the spores are in the air no matter what I do.

Thanks GoldenGoose! I am happy I pulled something out of this effort. Yeah the PM was deep in the colas. I absolutely took your advice when I noticed just a bit on my small scale Bubba Kush. I hit her hard with the non fat milk and water. Two hours later I sprayed her down with distilled water. 5 days later she went into 48 hours of darkness. Harvest today with no sign of mold on any leaves :thanks: I've treated the Purple Kush with the same spray. I should post some pics of them soon.

Yes my friend, I take it all as a learning experience. As long as I learn something from a growing issue or problem, then so be it. Practice makes perfect :thumb:

Thanks GoldenGoose! I am happy I pulled something out of this effort. Yeah the PM was deep in the colas. I absolutely took your advice when I noticed just a bit on my small scale Bubba Kush. I hit her hard with the non fat milk and water. Two hours later I sprayed her down with distilled water. 5 days later she went into 48 hours of darkness. Harvest today with no sign of mold on any leaves :thanks: I've treated the Purple Kush with the same spray. I should post some pics of them soon.

Yes my friend, I take it all as a learning experience. As long as I learn something from a growing issue or problem, then so be it. Practice makes perfect :thumb:

Thats a GREAT ATTITUDE to take! :bravo:

I have certainly taken my lumps over the years too just like everyone else who is honest about it! Nobodies perfect, and you certainly can't control everything that is involved in these grows. ;) If you can come away from negative situations with some new ammunition or experience then its all good going forward!

I'll look forward to seeing those new photos! :)

An overdue update on what's going on around here.

The sour grapes is curing nicely. It's starting to take on a candy/fruity smell when I open the jars. Smokes smooth with a nice uplifting effect. I don't loose any motivation but it gives me a great heady feeling with a tinge of a body effect. Taste is mild with a hint of sweetness. I'm happy with it so far. Probably could have let it go another week.

420_410.jpg

420_411.jpg

The so called purple trash has been water curing for two weeks now. I'll dry that tomorrow.

420_414.jpg

That's it for that chapter. On to the next grow!

Purple Kush

I brought home two Purple Kush clones last month from a dispensary that opened up near me. They have a great selection of clones. One of the employees grows some of their cuttings. It was great to talk to the grower of the clones I was looking at. The PK came from a nursery they buy from which is apparently reputable. They only had the two I brought home, so I got lucky!

These will be grown in the same tent as the previous grow. I vegged them slowly, timing out my previous harvest. They were under a 2' florescent for a few weeks.

Poor girls had to be in my bathroom due to lack of space, they didn't seem to mind.
A shot of them wide awake and soaking up some light:
420_416.jpg

I first transplanted them into the small green pots filled with Fox Farm Happy Frog. Its mild and great for root growth. Fed them 2.5 ml per gallon of GH FloraNova grow, and 5 ml FloraBlend every other watering while they where in the Happy Frog. Since they don't take up much water that young I think I may have fed twice.

10/29/11 they were transplanted into 1 gallon plastic pots. I'm not using smart pots this time around. I think they give excellent results but I'm really focusing on controlling humidity and preventing powdery mold again. I'm not even sure if smart pots would contribute to humidity but I'm being as cautious as possible.

The soil mix: Roots Organic, 30% Fox Farm perlite, 1.5 cups dolomite lime per 1.5 cubic foot soil, and General Hydroponics Sub Culture Inoculant B and M.

420_412.jpg

420_413.jpg

I bought a new 250 watt MH bulb that is rated at 22,000 lumens. I also bought a new 250w HPS bulb rated at 33,000 lumens, and is flower specific in its spectrum. They were on 24/0 lighting with the florescent. I put them in the tent under the MH, timed at 18/6. 10 pm Friday night they started their 36 hours of darkness before flower.

In the tent:
420_408.jpg

The Roots Organic should feed for at least 2 weeks. I'll start them on GH's KoolBloom for sugars next watering. The plan is to transplant again maybe 2 weeks or so into flower. I read a great article on transplanting gradually during the grow for even growth of roots and canopy.

10 am tomorrow lights on and 12/12 begins! :thumb:

Ok dog, this is just tripping me out. How tall are those PK's? My plants are sooooo much bushier and short.

Good luck on the PK's sir!

Back
Top Bottom