The garden is medicine - Cultivate

High yogi

Greetings one and all to my first 420 forum thread! Woo hoo:circle-of-love: I am seriously impressed with you all. No kidding either, it's just so great great to see the diversity and the level of encouragement and maturity here. Also you have a place to showcase gardens and baby that is where I'm at. My grandfather and grandmother had a small 2.5 acre commercial garden selling produce on the side of the road in a small town in New England, I started picking weeds at age three and never looked back. It was all organic too and I never forgot the joy of the labor. That is enough on some background eh? Let's move on.
This yard was bare brown lawn four years ago and I'm roughly 60% through the to plant list. Many back ground border plants are yet to be installed, money mainly but time too, that and recovering from a major health event that waylaid me for 9.5 months, that's why you will see lots of gaps in the beds and the design overall.
I hand dug the pond ( told the neighbors I didn't have anywhere else for the bodies. No one visits now. Win for the outdoor grow ;) a 9 x 11 x 4.5. Foot Water resource really, 2848 gallons, soon little fish will populate it, then I will incorporate the nitrate laden water to a gravel bed grow of leafy greens that will drain back to the pond bringing essential minerals to benefit the fish.
rVrh2io.jpg
You can't tell but the pond is two feet higher than the yard, I buttressed the walls with four foot thick beds with on foot thick gravel beds -gullied, sloped with the pond liner draped on top of the substrate under the gravel for drainage away from pond wall to avoid erosion of inner pond walls in heavy rain events. But the next phase will be cypress log raised beds towards where the final version of the waterfall will be later on this year. ( the bare looking plant is a type of gardenia that is semi deciduous the leaf buds are just forming, the Brazilian cats claw is rampant and I pull it out every year due to neighbors lazyness.) It's just me and the cat so thing move slowly over here. Especially as the seasons heat and humidity build....anyhow, After that solar run water pumps, Heck yeah

Btw most of the plants you will see in the yard were free. Throw out by clients a few heavily discounted as damaged and nursed back to health. American and Asian culinary gingers, veggies and herbs are interspersed with plants from temperate to sub tropical... All is a work in progress and not much weeding done some I just let mosey along.The roses are purchased, antique roses are about all that hold my interest in the rose world. (Whew just found the auto save feature, was freakin out there for a sec) here is a Sombreuil climber coming back from winter and a leaf chewing session from a currently unknown assailant. I use aza max now and it's making a difference.
QBftnhv.jpg

Next up are two Coltilde Superb climbing roses for an extended arbor/ privacy screen on the west border, they just arrived via mail from Texas, via the antique rose emporium, I love them. They grow like mad and will look great twing I and around the Don Juan rose I planted last month and the morning glories and potatoes and other vining veggie plants will add to the whole semi cottage garden plant rampage I'm looking for.
Also a sun hive is something I want to build for the local bee community. They need our love and our help.
Overall the vision is coming to life and the goal is being achieved. Many birds including a pair of ruby throated humming bird live here now. Egrets, Owls, raccoons, bunnies, Ibis... all visit here often. For a former rental property that was treated inside and out like sh*t, I am pleased with the progress.

I'm going to stop here and post to see if I'm getting the images up or not, using imgur and it's upload feature is driving my iPad nuts apparently because it's way slowwwwww
...ok good...one last photo for now.... The ugly side of garden building, the supply pile lol. A recently made side bed competes with cypress logs for the aforementioned raised beds,150 yr old cedar logs and 100 year old citrus logs, awaiting my slow butt to rough cut lumber from them for various projects from furniture to inlay wood for a wood strip kayak project. I say project a lot. I know. Also the garden gate on this side of the yard is yet to be made...etc...etc..etc. so there it is raw materials just lazin about like a junkyard dog in the sun. The shame the shame....
7Nt5eud_1_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom