The Good Stuff!

What is your favorite seed bank? My first grow I got from Ministry of cannabis which I thought came out very nice and the others all came from msnl but I’ve had temperature and nute problems sense so I haven’t seen their full potential. Have you Ever heard of these being any good deed banks for genetics?
I use multiple seed banks. Seed banks matter only in their trustworthiness. Once you find a good seed bank you can get multiple breeders from them. I use Seedsman, Sensible, and a few others. I am finding a lot of what I need from US seed banks now days. Turn around is much faster. Lots of seed banks carry the same genetics. Prices and a few other things vary so it is best to have a few that you like. What one place is out of another might have. Grimm releases different genetics to different places. Others may do the same.

When it comes to the seeds themselves. I would have to say DNA, Grimm, HSO, and Barneys Farm are the breeders I use the most. DNA seems to be my favorite.

I’m glad you mentioned something about the temperature I just received a email back from Mars Hydro telling me that they do not have the extension cord to remove this driver on my SP 250 light outside the tent so I’m trying to figure out where I can purchase the same sort of connector they use. Would you happen to know the name of it? Cause as of now I’m popping up some new seedlings and the temperature stays at 87°. My old LED light wasn’t nearly that bad. The tent is in a 70 degree room... I do hang the branches full but I never did get to the point where the branches actually snapped before curing them. They would be hanging for like almost two weeks. Should I let them hang longer until the smaller branches got the snap or is a couple weeks hanging ok?

On the light cable check Mouser or Digikey for what you need. Cutting a cable and adding a plug and then a longer cable to remove the driver from the grow space should be pretty easy.

Your room shouldn't be getting that hot with 1 SP 250 lamp in there. I run a much larger lamps with pulling a lot more power. You need a fan going on the plants and a good extraction fan with a filter. I open my vent on 1 end of the tent and extract at the other end and have a fan blowing the fresh air into the tent at the plants. I extract from the top of the temp where the heat collects. My temps stay the same as the room its in right at 73F - sometimes I open the widow after lights out to cool room down into the 60-65F range.

On your drying. I hang the whole plant upside down usually with a small 9" fan going on it but not always. I never let it hang dry till the twigs snap. I hang for about 4 days give or take, trim the flowers into jars with Boveda packs. Check them every day for 3 or so days just take the lid off and see how they are. If they are too moist I will dump the jar into a card board box and let them sit over night in the box then back into the jars.

Most of the time they are fine in the jars with Boveda 62% packs. Sometimes I get some really greasy flowers that need that extra day in a box.

On the light cable check Mouser or Digikey for what you need. Cutting a cable and adding a plug and then a longer cable to remove the driver from the grow space should be pretty easy.

Your room shouldn't be getting that hot with 1 SP 250 lamp in there. I run a much larger lamps with pulling a lot more power. You need a fan going on the plants and a good extraction fan with a filter. I open my vent on 1 end of the tent and extract at the other end and have a fan blowing the fresh air into the tent at the plants. I extract from the top of the temp where the heat collects. My temps stay the same as the room its in right at 73F - sometimes I open the widow after lights out to cool room down into the 60-65F range.

On your drying. I hang the whole plant upside down usually with a small 9" fan going on it but not always. I never let it hang dry till the twigs snap. I hang for about 4 days give or take, trim the flowers into jars with Boveda packs. Check them every day for 3 or so days just take the lid off and see how they are. If they are too moist I will dump the jar into a card board box and let them sit over night in the box then back into the jars.

Most of the time they are fine in the jars with Boveda 62% packs. Sometimes I get some really greasy flowers that need that extra day in a box.
Yeah the sad part is I am an electrician so I should’ve had this ballast out of here a long time ago lol but here is a picture of my set up I got three fans one isolating and two clip fans that I turn on later in the grow. With a bad ass AC infinity exhaust blower that I can control the speed on from a remote. When it’s on high it can suck in the side of the walls in good. Even got one of those CO2 bags because they see plants can do better and higher temps if the CO2 levels are up but who knows I rather have it cooler than 80+ degrees. But I do exhaust from the top but I can’t bring it out a window so I have my duck going into the hallway near my AC return. So hopefully taking the main source of heat out does the trick for me lol. But yea I love those be a packs novena packs i’ve use them even before I started growing. Got some of those mini Hydrometers to see what the Rh is looking like when I jar them. Just trying to give myself the best opportunity for some fiyaaa haha.
Now if only these seeds would pop already. It’s been 5 days:bongrip:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 57
Yeah looks good you on your way!!

I open 1 btm air vent put a box fan in front of it blowing towards the plants, then I put the out flow duct at the top of the tent and suck out the hot air into and thru a filter I have outside the tent. I have a pretty nice size air handling system with an intake duct in my grow room.

My temps are pretty constant inside and outside the flower tent. Could be you running VEG and your lamps are on longer than mine.

For VEG just run the lamps with the doors open lights on 24/0 they dont smell until there's flowers so no need to worry about that until flowering.

You're an electrician - I have a few lights with Y connectors so I can run several lamps on one run. Can use that to re-locate your power supply.

The heat is mainly coming from the heat sink I think. The PSU gets hot when its sitting on the hot heat sink.

I run several of those PSUs on full steam in my flower room and the heat is the same inside as outside. I'm pulling a lot of air out tho - I have a 6" duct and a 6" extractor fan. Then my room has a 20x6" ventilation duct pulling out that rooms air and running it thru the heat/cooling system to the rest of the home.

I think the difference is I'm using a 6" fan - when last fan I had was 4" and it got pretty warm in a smaller footprint with air extraction going outside.

Yeah the sad part is I am an electrician so I should’ve had this ballast out of here a long time ago lol but here is a picture of my set up I got three fans one isolating and two clip fans that I turn on later in the grow. With a bad ass AC infinity exhaust blower that I can control the speed on from a remote. When it’s on high it can suck in the side of the walls in good. Even got one of those CO2 bags because they see plants can do better and higher temps if the CO2 levels are up but who knows I rather have it cooler than 80+ degrees. But I do exhaust from the top but I can’t bring it out a window so I have my duck going into the hallway near my AC return. So hopefully taking the main source of heat out does the trick for me lol. But yea I love those be a packs novena packs i’ve use them even before I started growing. Got some of those mini Hydrometers to see what the Rh is looking like when I jar them. Just trying to give myself the best opportunity for some fiyaaa haha.
Now if only these seeds would pop already. It’s been 5 days:bongrip:

I’m a sparky as well. :thumb:

Well I finally took the driver out of the tent and I must say it is staying at a pleasant 75° with out any fans on. Now I just need to safely mount The hot ass driver to a bracket I made on the wall lol. Should’ve done this a long time ago! .... Also @SmokeSara do you know How many lumens this SP 250 light produces?

Attachments

• B92088C6-99D9-47E4-A10B-1789CED2E925.jpeg
    B92088C6-99D9-47E4-A10B-1789CED2E925.jpeg
    904.9 KB · Views: 52
Well I finally took the driver out of the tent and I must say it is staying at a pleasant 75° with out any fans on. Now I just need to safely mount The hot ass driver to a bracket I made on the wall lol. Should’ve done this a long time ago! .... Also @SmokeSara do you know How many lumens this SP 250 light produces?
The SP250's lumen is 41849Lm±5%@AC120V. It's a good idea to leave the power outside and put it back when you think weather is cold :D

You should always have a fan going. Set up an extraction fan if you have a tent. Also best to add a fan to blow fresh air onto the plants directly. This helps with transpiration and plant growth.

I run fans at the soil line, on the canopy and on the psu's of my lamps. Clip fans work great at the canopy and on the psu.

Keeping your grow temps in check helps immensely. Around 75° preferably no higher at flower will ensure those easily volatilized plant esters and terpenes stay in the plant.

I grew some stonking fat buds very healthy plants, might of had a bit of nute burn and some may have stretched to far towards the light, But i think (unexperienced grower) the reason that they lack taste and strength was due to the temperature of the room being to hot.

When lights on some might say i was in the sweet spot 27c to 30c but unfortunately it was at least that and on occasions hotter when the lights where off.
Im sure there are more experience growers out there who would agree that this was the cause of my down fall.

Dont get me wrong it was pleasant enough i was just disappointed it could had been so much better.

Keep growing keep learning is what i say

Its all in the Genetics.... I've grown plants in hotter temps than that and got good result. Lots of equatorial Sativa grown in temps at 35C best weed ever. Thai, Vietnamese, Colombian, Congolese.... I could go on and on.

Select seed that grows well in your climate. If you're in say Canada, grow varieties that are heat and cold tolerant. If you cant tell from the seed description, move on and find seeds with a proper description.

I wasn't implying you cant grow weed at 35C, i have been to Jamaica and Australia.

I was stating the reason my bud didnt taste great was my lights off temps where higher than my lights on temp, grew wrong time of year,(heatwave) was young, dumb and full of .....

Temp does effect a plant enough to screw up flavor and burn. I found out recently myself. In my case it was cold temps that kept the plant from growing well enough to use all the nuits. I was giving them the same amount of food I did before. I was never able to flush all the unused nuits out. To high of temps will shut down growth also. If too much time was spent over 90 degrees the plant was not growing. The outcome would be the same or similar.

I do grow mostly organic and think it helps with flavor. I have never used anything like molasses to sweeten them. I never use anything for flavor. If they are going to have flavor they will. It will be because of genetics not food. Other then growing and genetics. Drying and curing are the key places to bring out a plants natural flavors.

Temp does effect a plant enough to screw up flavor and burn. I found out recently myself. In my case it was cold temps that kept the plant from growing well enough to use all the nuits. I was giving them the same amount of food I did before. I was never able to flush all the unused nuits out. To high of temps will shut down growth also. If too much time was spent over 90 degrees the plant was not growing. The outcome would be the same or similar.

I do grow mostly organic and think it helps with flavor. I have never used anything like molasses to sweeten them. I never use anything for flavor. If they are going to have flavor they will. It will be because of genetics not food. Other then growing and genetics. Drying and curing are the key places to bring out a plants natural flavors.
Like you say, to cold and the plants go dormant until the temps warm back up. The plants do not seem to be using anywhere near the amounts of water that they usually do. If it is to hot the plants shut down except for transpiration so attention has to be paid to how dry the plants are becoming without over watering.

The molasses does not sweeten them. It adds sugars to the soil and promotes the growth of the soil micro-organisms.

Just think; if we could influence the flavor of the final smoke by adding molasses or other liquids we could water with pineapple juice for a pineapple smoke taste. Or orange juice. Or apple juice. Though, come to think of it, apple juice might have enough sugars to influence the soil organisms. None of them will do anything for the final taste, though. Like you say, it is the drying and curing which are key factors after harvest.

Back
Top Bottom