The Great Outdoor Group Grow: Beastly Buds To Honor Bonsai

I just found this thread, looks like I'm in time the join in as well - page 6, not bad for me. :yahoo:

I'm located in San Jose, CA where the weather is pretty ideal for growing -- at least it was last season. I'm just getting ready for my 2nd grow which, of coarse will be outdoors.

Last year I grew 5 plants in my back yard, but kept them in fiber pots ranging from 10 gal to 25 gal. Was pretty happy with the results. Here's a pic of 4 of them from last year (this was right after I harvested Blueberry Muffin).

Thanks Penny, you were a great help to me last season. :thanks: I''m looking forward to it this year. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a victim of my own success. My wife was a little less than thrilled by my large plants and the trimming was extremely time consuming. She was a trooper though, and helped with hours and hours of the trimming right along side me. :hug:

This year, I promised her I would scaled it down a bit so I'm only going with 3 plants and am trying an auto for the first time. I'm hoping that the auto will show her that I can grow smaller & faster plants, then I'll be able to scale it back up a bit. ;)

LOL. Then she'll cut me down to just one!

I’d been on the fence about growing weed again this summer, but I like the idea of this group grow to celebrate Bonsai, so I think I’ll throw in.

Aptly enough, the strain I’m gonna grow is “Tree of Life.” It’s a Trainwreck x Mendo Purps hybrid developed by PNW medical growers about a decade ago. Never grown or consumed it, but I’m certainly curious about both & I’ll post on this thread on how it shakes out, if there’s no objections…

As background, I only grow outdoors & did clandestine outdoor grows on & off for 30+ years. But for the past 4 yrs, I’ve done it legally where I’m at.

Relative to most, I’m a minimalist. I grow in native, not-so-great soil, with frequent compost topdressing, and little else except some DIY calcium supplements and a light midwinter manure application. I keep it no-till & organic, mainly because that’s what I do with the rest of the garden.

I’m not much concerned about yield. As it is, I give away almost 2/3 of what I grow. My main focus is growing buds that I & friends enjoy. So far, I’ve managed to do that.

But we’ll see how it fares this summer. & I’ll occasionally post progress here.

Thanks for starting this thread. It’s a very cool idea! Grow on!

Pretty colors on that nug Shake 'n Bake!
Thx, Shed. It's a pretty sh^tty photo of pretty bud. One thing it taught me though, is that it's not easy to inspect for budrot on purplish colas. Never had any on that plant, but due to the hue, I occasionally thought it was afflicted.

1.Offer up a quick hello
2. How are you growing?
Strain, training, food, style (guerilla, greenhouse, etc.)
Growing challenges
3. Share pics, stories and laughs

Hey guys, I see a lot of familiar faces here :ciao:

I would first like to say Semper Fidelis from one Marine to another, Rest In Peace Bonsai :thanks: for your service to our country and to the cannabis cause.

1 - I have been growing for a little over two years now. I have faced a lot of adversity because I grow in an uninsulated garage in Southern California. I have had to go to extensive lengths to provide the perfect environment for my plants.

I am currently growing in a 4x8 tent with a humidifier, dehumidifier, dual hose AC and a heater. I’m growing with the Perfect Sun Max Yield. I am currently finishing my first grow in Doc Buds Hi Brix Blend soil.

2 - My plan is to grow two strains.
Green Doctor from MMG is a high CBD strain crossing the popular Candida strain with Super Lemon Haze
AK47 from 420 is a cut I took from a cut that Shed gifted me back around February.

These strains will be grown in Doc Buds Hi Brix in thirty gallon fabric bags in my back yard.

My biggest challenges will be bugs, heat, and possible light interruptions from neighbors and floodlights.
The area I live in gets very hot in the summer and I hope to ward off that heat with the use of foliar sprays.

This will be my first serious grow outdoors, having only ran a couple autos outside before. I hope to learn some good stuff over the course of this summer both from my own grow and from your grows :hug:
Hopefully the experience I gain, will give me some ideas about how to make things better next year. I have plans to eventually do a raised bed, much like Amy Gardner.

3 - Green Doctor
AK47

Cheers!

LOL. Then she'll cut me down to just one!
Sounds like my wife. She doesnt trim tho... or smoke! She was proud of me for cutting it down to just 1 this round. So I'm going big outdoors hahaha!

@andIhalped thanks for sharing and being here. We need all the veteran growers we can get! I'm planning to essentially grow like you described. I want some good old fashioned organic weed, sun grown, and it's more about having fun than anything else for me.

I want to be able to take a picture of me next to a plant that is taller than I am! #lifegoals

Beez is that the plant in a 25 gallon container? If so I’m in trouble with thirty gallon containers lol.

For you experienced outdoor growers, is keeping a plant low and trained advisable if you have nosy neighbors? My neighbors might take notice if I have the beginnings of a Xmas tree farm lol

Yes indeed, that one got the 25 gallon pot. It started in a 10 gallon, but quickly got root bound. Used FFOF to fill it. I did zero topping on it, so you should be able to control the height better than I, with some topping/training.

Highya Guys,

Last year I grew three carnivals in the ground. Had to use a 10' stepladder to get to the top. Even fell over because the soft ground collapsed just as I got up there, lol. So, this year I WILL top them to keep my feet on the ground while looking for budrot. Ready to drop beans tomorrow. Cheers

You can train for low wide plants sure.
Yes indeed, that one got the 25 gallon pot. It started in a 10 gallon, but quickly got root bound. Used FFOF to fill it. I did zero topping on it, so you should be able to control the height better than I, with some topping/training.
Okay, I’ll have to invest in a lot more gardening wire haha! I’m running two thirty gallon girls and I hope they don’t get too tall. I should use a chain link fence as a scrog net haha

Old guerrilla grows we did, we would bend the plant over when it hit around 6' and lay chain link fence over them and stake into the ground. The colas grow up through the fence. Kept them low and confused the helicopters big time.

Back
Top Bottom