The Great Outdoor Group Grow: Beastly Buds To Honor Bonsai

Hey guys, I’m new to outdoor growing up. I wanted to share something that I came up against recently in my garden. It’s a good idea to plan your indoor photoperiod to match the outdoor photoperiod. I unfortunately didn’t pay heed and will likely lose my young plants I already started.
Hard lessons learned. Cheers.

No this isn't right...

What happened?
I started two seedlings at 24/0 about three weeks ago.
from what I understand, and I hope Grizz is right, The plants need a slow, fifteen minutes per week, of making the nigh longer. That means to get from 24/0 to 15/9 I would have had to start in February give or take.

No this isn't right...
Please tell me I’m wrong man. I’m a little gunshy after what happened in my current grow.

Your at the start of your grow season..
worst case, they go to flower, realise the nights getting longer and revert back to veg..
when on 24-0 indoors, best time to go outside, first week last month of spring, all strain dependant but majority of plants will continue to veg without slowing down..

@GrizzWald :thumb: Just awesome - it’s not easy getting them to finish at these latitudes. Hope it all gets there without too much trouble or loss!

Hey @Archiweedies , and all, on the moving them outside thing. How old are they now? Only a few weeks? I would think that up until a certain age there is less risk of them flowering early. I’m sure someone has schooled me in that before. They won’t flower until they’re old enough to flower. SO if they’re clones - then yeah, light changes will probably trigger flower like you discovered, but from seed the risk is different it’s both light hours and maturity.

I started two seedlings at 24/0 about three weeks ago.
from what I understand, and I hope Grizz is right, The plants need a slow, fifteen minutes per week, of making the nigh longer. That means to get from 24/0 to 15/9 I would have had to start in February give or take.
I don't think that the plants are all that sensitive. Last year I bought 5 clones from a nursery that had them on 24/0. I brought them home and immediately put them on an 18/6 schedule. Didn't affect them at at. Then a month later, I hardened them off for about a week and during that time adjusted the lights from 18/6 to 15/9, then put them outside to stay. This was about last week of May. They didn't start flowering until early July (except for Blueberry Muffin which started about 6/20 - but even the nursery said this strain sometimes flowers early).

I have a theory (that's not backed by any data whatsoever) - when you put your plants outside for the first time, they are receiving so much more light intensity during the daylight, that longer night periods probably don't matter. Once they are fully acclimated to the outdoors, then a drop in daylight will trigger the flowers. (Just my thoughts, I could be completely wrong).

I think you'll probably be ok with your current seedlings.

How can you get an outdoor plant to flower early? Mine in L.A. don't start showing pistils until mid-July, about 4 weeks after the summer solstice.

By placing a bin over top at 5:30 each night for few months or if in pot, bring into garage.. unless under 10th parallel, where day length doesn't change year round ( not fact but somewhere around there, might be 15th) ..

Hahaha, of thats funny, more light intensity to replace lengh of day.. fuck man that's cracked me up, thanks :rofl::rofl::rofl::passitleft:

Need a bigger bin :rofl::rofl:

Your at the start of your grow season..
worst case, they go to flower, realise the nights getting longer and revert back to veg..
when on 24-0 indoors, best time to go outside, first week last month of spring, all strain dependant but majority of plants will continue to veg without slowing down..
I see our experience growing has led us down different paths. I have four cuts from a flowering plant in January that still haven’t started growing properly yet. They’ve rooted, but no new growth. The plant they were taken from started flowering after changing from 18/6 to 16/8.

I got nothing to lose by trying it as you suggest. I’ll give it a go:thumb:

@Amy Gardner I think your onto something. As we know, after the plant has vegged for about 30 days or so give or take, it starts throwing alternating nodes from its stems. My Durban was over forty days in veg.

I don't think that the plants are all that sensitive. Last year I bought 5 clones from a nursery that had them on 24/0. I brought them home and immediately put them on an 18/6 schedule. Didn't affect them at at. Then a month later, I hardened them off for about a week and during that time adjusted the lights from 18/6 to 15/9, then put them outside to stay. This was about last week of May. They didn't start flowering until early July (except for Blueberry Muffin which started about 6/20 - but even the nursery said this strain sometimes flowers early).

I have a theory (that's not backed by any data whatsoever) - when you put your plants outside for the first time, they are receiving so much more light intensity during the daylight, that longer night periods probably don't matter. Once they are fully acclimated to the outdoors, then a drop in daylight will trigger the flowers. (Just my thoughts, I could be completely wrong).

I think you'll probably be ok with your current seedlings.
Thanks Beez, I can appreciate what you’re saying brother. One things for sure, I’m giving it a shot for science!

I'm sticking with a 10 gallon pot and 1.5 gallons of water poured through it as my maximum lift, thank you very much!
Wait your pots hold 1.5 gallons of water? My 10 gallon nursery’s get 2?!:hmmmm:

It took 3 of us and a wheelbarrow to move the 25 gallon plant. Was probably pretty funny to watch. Fortunately I only had to do that about 3 times.

Back
Top Bottom