The Great Outdoor Group Grow: Beastly Buds To Honor Bonsai

And this is why I don't grow in HB!

How can you get an outdoor plant to flower early? Mine in L.A. don't start showing pistils until mid-July, about 4 weeks after the summer solstice.
Yes. Something I have not tried before. So it's like going from 18/6 day/night to 12/12 day/night. In April that days are pretty short and a plant inside in veg that gets put outside will respond to the light change. If the plant is shocked into thinking winter is coming, it will begin flowering and continue through the solstice and into the end of summer (supposedly - I have not tried it myself). This is good for long flowering sativas, which I am fond of. I have a pile a clones and am going to give it a try!

Also @Archiweedies if you put a small light near your plants when you go outdoors, you can flip it on in the night to keep plants from going into flower when you put the outside. But I think @Norcaliwood says if you go outside with an established clone (from 18/6) on June 10, it seems like it just keeps on growing, so that is my plan for the Black Dog. Get her as big as I can indoors and outside she goes on June 10.

Cheers,

If the plant is shocked into thinking winter is coming, it will begin flowering and continue through the solstice and into the end of summer (supposedly - I have not tried it myself).
If it does freak out and start flowering because of the light change, I would think it would then realize the days are getting longer and reveg, only to start flowering again after the solstice. Seems a bit stress-inducing!

Also - If you did want to put them outside and you had no choice but to stress them, the do it now and they will just bounce right back in June, anyways. It would totally reveg and probably before the solstice, even. Stressfull? ya, but it would make buds just the same at the end of the summer.

Ya it is the purple clone that I am keeping, I have 3 or 4 different thais at the moment. The others were green, this one really poppped purple!! I hope she smokes as nice as she looks. AND I hope she flowers nicely outdoors. I don't have a greenhouse which is how people usually use this technique in the early spring. I think I can rig up a small heating pad to keep a bit of warmth nearby. Fingers crossed!

So I calculated and may 9th I'll have 18 hours of daylight. Not direct but good enough. Solstice is 22. Something? Guess it won't matter much for the autos but I'm thinking of blacking out a tunnel which means less than 9 weeks from flip.

I had 4 or 5 more sprout in the paper towel so those went down. 1 came up and looks to be dying? We won't give up just yet.

The goal is to get the tub clear and all the plants on 18 6 lighting by this Sunday.

Hope everyone is having a great week

Also @Archiweedies if you put a small light near your plants when you go outdoors, you can flip it on in the night to keep plants from going into flower when you put the outside. But I think @Norcaliwood says if you go outside with an established clone (from 18/6) on June 10, it seems like it just keeps on growing, so that is my plan for the Black Dog. Get her as big as I can indoors and outside she goes on June 10.

Cheers,
Cheers Lazy!
Are you suggesting the Gas Lantern Routine or do you just mean something simple like a flood light that just happens to shine on the plant.
The Farmers Almanac site has a handy daylight calculator that is specific to your location. Based on that calculator, I would have 14 hours of daylight on May 19th, whereas if I go by Norcals date of June 10 we get 14 hours and 20 minutes. Is there a big difference?
Technically, I’m getting close to 13 hours of light a day currently. Couple more weeks and we are there. Is that too soon?

The more I consider the details, the more I get confused.

In an ideal world, one where a seed is started indoors, what is a good schedule to try and adhere to if you could? I have germinated a seed outside before for science! :high-five: It was an autoflower so I didn’t pay attention to the daylight hours it was getting.

If I’m thinking logically, it seems the best thing is to start seedlings on a 14/10 light schedule indoors so that by around May 19th give or take a day depending on location and year, they can go directly outside after hardening off the week prior with no ill effects.

Am I missing something?
So May 9 is prime time for veg! Get some big girls in there if you have a inside light and give them a couple weeks head start.

Cheers,
If you could explain why May 9 is prime time please, if you didn’t already after seeing my previous reply :thumb::thanks:

Holds 1.5 gallons? No, that's just how much I give it when I want it soaked. 2 gallons would probably give me 20+ ounces of runoff.
Must be a result from the fact I use a concrete sprayer to water and it forces me to water at a rate of one gallon per minute. I give it about a liter and let it soak up for a couple minutes before I give it another liter.
For reference, my three gallon soft pots get a gallon of water each when using my sprayer.
Not a big deal haha just caught my attention when you mentioned it. Cheers Shed!

If I’m thinking logically, it seems the best thing is to start seedlings on a 14/10 light schedule indoors so that by around May 19th give or take a day depending on location and year, they can go directly outside after hardening off the week prior with no ill effects.
This! This will keep them from experiencing light shock.

May 9th is what MadDabber said. He gets 18 hours of daylight on that day.

This! This will keep them from experiencing light shock.

May 9th is what MadDabber said. He gets 18 hours of daylight on that day.
Thanks brother!
I bet you could smell my brain cooking trying figure this out lol

I have spent many stoned nights frying my brain over this and I think I finally have a handle on it.

I have been growing since it was legal here in 2105, so this is my 5th year outdoors. Here is a short list of my mistakes:
Year1
Plants outside in July - too late/small
Year2
Overwatered a 15 foot plant to death:thedoubletake:
Year 3
10 Foot Sativa never harvested - Died in the cold in November WAY before harvest.
Year4 - Hemp mites. - Killed a few potted weeds.
Year5 - Hopefully it runs smooth!!! :goodluck:

Cheerz,

I have been growing since it was legal here in 2105
Nope you’re still fried lol!

I kid lol. Yeah you seem to have paid your dues man, here’s to some fabulous plants this summer Lazy!:passitleft:

I have spent many stoned nights frying my brain over this and I think I finally have a handle on it.

I have been growing since it was legal here in 2105, so this is my 5th year outdoors. Here is a short list of my mistakes:
Year1
Year2
Year 3
10 Foot Sativa never harvested - Died in the cold in November WAY before harvest.

Cheerz,
I admire your persistence! :adore:

Here's to hoping this year is a huge success!:snowboating:

Year1
Year2
Year 3

Cheerz,
This is your year lazyfish.

I've been on the fence about doing an outdoor grow and still am but I dropped 12 OG Kush bag seeds (not risking any beans I paid for) so now I just need to find a place to put them. I'm germing in a cardboard box with 2 curly CFL bulbs on 24/7 and will veg on 24/7 until they go outside. If I don't find a suitable place, at least I'll get some practice checking for sex.

Back
Top Bottom