The Happy Cola Company's Official Ground Up Medical Cannabis Grow Op

FANTASTIC!! Aside from pulling for you guys and for your venture's success, I can't help but think that's a lot of meds that will help a lot of people down the line!
It's definitely been a learning experience watching your garden grow and many of us (myself included) have been dealing with similar challenges and heartache in our own gardens (big and small). My point is to let you know you're not alone on some pest ridden island!
Also, envious that you get to tinker and whip up solutions from a pile of scraps!
Such a satisfying thing to step back, look at your creation and go "damn dude...ya did good!"
Haven't had much time to build stuff in a while with my crazy work schedule. Hell, squeezing in a few minutes to water my plants feels like a vacation LOL

We've definitely come a long way. When I was a kid, if they'd caught a dope dealer with a crop like that, he'd have gone to prison for 20 years. What a difference 40 years makes!

20201110_112336.jpg

Today, we got to tinker around with the Happy Cola Bucket Washer 5000 today, and after a few improvements, we basically converted it into an automated system of sorts. When you see what happens when ingenuity and dumb luck come together, your gonna laugh. We'll put together a video soon... :slide: :Rasta:

IMG_7369.jpg

I've never really spent much time going over our feeding regimen in both veg and flower, but after really being educated into the science behind cannabis, I need to. Even with all our previous growing experience neither of us has ever been privy to the inner working of this magnificent plant until now.
When you begin looking into the individual makeup of each individual cannabis strain, and see those dramatic differences on paper, it truly becomes a wonder to behold, even for a simple country boy like myself. There's a lot more to this plant than I ever imagined.

Due to the legal requirements required for us to sell our product wholesale to licensed dispensaries , cannabis testing is a must. However, after digging into the test results, those same test results that not only protect our potential customers from nasty things like pesticides and heavy metals, but those same tests also reveal a lot about that particular strain and can provide a great testbed on which to build and improve upon.

While the profile tests do reveal the common THC and CBD compounds we're all so familiar to, those same tests also reveal a plethora of other natural compounds of great interest, which leads us be able to "see" on paper the unique terpene profiles and their percentages which can be tied to the many potential tastes and smells we've all became accustomed to.
Everyone has their favorite strain, no doubt. But when you can see the "why" behind it being your favorite, it's gives you a fresh perspective. Heck, the ability for terpenes to alter the medicinal effects of the cannabis "high" is a study in and of it's own. So really, the key to having that perfect strain isn't simply having the highest THC content on the shelf (which we've been told we have by several dispensaries), but it's the terpene profile as well, if not more so than than the THC content.
This is the area I hope to improve upon.
So the goal is high THC content as well as a high terpene profile. And how is that achieved? We're about to find out.
.Along with using G H Flora series and a calcium supplement which provide our "basics", it also provides a highly soluble mixture of the basic N-P-K a plant needs, and doesn't plug stuff up. So we are building upon what we already know "works".
Usher in Terpinator. We want to not only build upon the basics, but improve them with verifiable facts, because face it. None of this stuff is cheap. However, if it proves not only worthy but cost effective, it becomes another staple of a proven formula. This is my goal, and I will be able to prove or disprove by the raw data the testing gives us.
More to come....:ganjamon:

Another thing we have to deal with that takes a lot of physical effort is cleaning expanded clay (Hydroton).
In small gardens, it's simply a matter of a thorough cleaning in water. I've used a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it for years to leach the salts out with water and reuse the Hydroton.
My pardner came up with a solution that works, however it's still a project on a large scale. We currently use an electric cement mixer, and though I can clean 50 liters at a time, it calls for multiple bucket changes. This involves dumping the mixer bucket several times then put backn in the mixer bucket to get the media properly cleaned.
I thought about several methods using the cement mixer, but it involves a lot of working parts to make it easy and functional for loading and unloading.
There has to be a better way, unfortunately, nobody that I have found offers anything of the sort, so, in usual fashion we're going to have to design one.
The 50 liter at a time goal is right on target, and I can do this in a 2 foot by 4 foot area.
For years, the mineral industry has been using "shaker tables" for separating gold and other valuable minerals. I think we are going to build a shaker table with an overhead sprinkler to rinse the expanded clay as it's vibrating. If I can find some expanded metal with small enough holes to keep the expanded clay from falling through, I'm in like flint for the base.
I'm betting this will remove any plant debris while rinsing the salts from the clay without having to grunt to do it.

Thoughts?

If you're not using a clean(ish) nutrient type, such as Jack's, switch to that brand. They'll tailor a set for you so that you don't have much in the way of wastage. Which is probably half of what that buildup is, that and calcium compounds. Try using hot vinegar - you can easily buy it in 30% strength - using a pressure canner if you really feel the need to get the temperature up. Or just letting it soak 24 hours at room temperature, and if that doesn't take care of all of it, change the solution and let it soak for up to a week (as necessary). You wouldn't have to change the solution after the first time. Vinegar will dissolve the shell right off an egg, and that's the case even with the regular Suzie Homemaker strength stuff.

If vinegar doesn't "cut" it for you, there are some other substances that you can use, like a person does when the need to completely dissolve a corpse. But vinegar is a lot simpler/easier to buy. Plus, some of that stuff will dissolve clay products :p.

what about a junky old washing machine? Pour some vinegar in to dissolve the salts, etc.
Oh, wait...then you gotta get it out of there!
Maybe an old dishwasher and replace the dish racks with the steel mesh?

I like the shaker table idea, it’s old school engineering that’s worked for 100s of years for washing rock in mines and quarries :)

With some experimenting, you could use a longer narrow table with one end open. As they washed, they would move towards the open end and fall off into totes, wheel barrow if needed :rofl: much the way stone is washed in a quarry.

what about a junky old washing machine? Pour some vinegar in to dissolve the salts, etc.
Oh, wait...then you gotta get it out of there!
Maybe an old dishwasher and replace the dish racks with the steel mesh?
Well we DO have a brand new washing machine...
However, we use that for an automated bubble hash extractor, and the thought of removing the Hydroton?...

I like the shaker table idea, it’s old school engineering that’s worked for 100s of years for washing rock in mines and quarries :)

With some experimenting, you could use a longer narrow table with one end open. As they washed, they would move towards the open end and fall off into totes, wheel barrow if needed :rofl: much the way stone is washed in a quarry.
Hmmm.....table at a slight angle...just enough to slowly move the Hydroton towards an end of the narrow table. Weld a dump gate.
One issue. The dump gate needs to be higher than a 55 gallon barrel, meaning the table would have to be at that height....meaning we'd still have to lug it overhead to dump it in the table.
Unless we switched to a shorter collection bucket.
I love the slight angle of the table to slowly move the media. That truly would be a one step process.

For years, the mineral industry has been using "shaker tables" for separating gold and other valuable minerals. I think we are going to build a shaker table with an overhead sprinkler to rinse the expanded clay as it's vibrating. If I can find some expanded metal with small enough holes to keep the expanded clay from falling through, I'm in like flint for the base.
I'm betting this will remove any plant debris while rinsing the salts from the clay without having to grunt to do it.

Thoughts?

Getting close.

Now we’re catching up to the Lagina brothers!

meaning we'd still have to lug it overhead to dump it in the table.

Cheap and effective, start with a game hoist from bass pro.

Hang a bag from hoist that you can fill on the floor, hoist, and dump from the bottom.

Today I began tossing ideas together for a cleaner, easier way to clean expanded clay....... LOTS of expanded clay.
Giving this some thought, I jotted down my goals for this build.
1. Easy on my body. I tossed my shoulder out last time hoisting a plywood basket of expanded clay into the cement hopper (which does 50 liters at a time BTW) :ganjamon:
2. Effective. (jury is still out on that one)
3. Dependable
4. 50 Liter capacity

I did a little calculating and determined I can clean 50 liters of expanded clay at a time in a 24"x48" hopper of sorts, so I made a few calls to metal supply houses and found a scrap piece of punched sheet metal that fit the bill. 10 bucks later and I had the base. I neatened up the edges then built a frame.
20201118_133851.jpg

I used 1 1/4" angle for this base

20201118_145335.jpg

I will put sides up, for not only containing the 50 liters of media, but to provide a runway for the overhead H20 sprayers,. No mess. Contained waste water with drain to waste is the plan. Now might be a good time to explain the gameplan. I already know the cement mixer does a good, effective job for all but rinsing the media. It takes three bucket changes, and it isn't an easy task. This time, instead of rotating the media, I'm going to build a shake table powered by a cement shaker. I figure the bed table needs to be able to jiggle around a bit, and it's it's this top table that needs to do all the jiggling.

20201118_145407.jpg

Here's how I plan to do this. These are actually valve springs that came off my LSA swapped 74 Stingray Corvette when I upgraded the engine. I determined I didn't need double springs and the small center spring wasn't quite stiff enough. This left the outer spring. Four of these, one in each corner should do.

20201118_153953.jpg

This gives you an idea. The top section will have the perforated metal bottom where the expanded clay sits. This base will also contain the cement shaker motor, basically a dual shaft motor with adjustable counterweights on both ends. The one I chose will deliver around 350 ft lbs of vibratory force. I can adjust down from there if necessary. The springs should isolate the top table to the rest below it. I also need to be able to get the media out easily once cleaned. This involves being able to list the rear of the bed upwards, so I'll build two identical lower bases and weld some hinges to allow to to tilt forward

20201118_193015.jpg

Here's a view of the hinges. I'll figure out some kind of a locking lever of sorts to hold it upright.

20201118_202931.jpg

I welded the valve springs to a plate I had pre-drilled to allow me to unbolt these two sections

20201118_203849.jpg

20201118_203854.jpg

This is how the top base ties into the lower section.

20201118_204454.jpg

20201118_204458.jpg

I'll wait for the motor before designing a solid motor mount to the upper section. I also have to come up with an overhead sprinkler system and a lower catch reservoir. I'm thinking about using a 2"x4" flood tray to catch the water and drain to waste.

More to come....:headbanger:

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about using steam instead of water jets?

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about using steam instead of water jets?

Sanitize and clean all in one. Nice idea, if possible. Not sure of logistics, but even a power washer heats up the water enough to pretty much work, or an inline heater might help too. Options anyway, and it’ll kill whatever for sure.

Sanitize and clean all in one. Nice idea, if possible. Not sure of logistics, but even a power washer heats up the water enough to pretty much work, or an inline heater might help too. Options anyway, and it’ll kill whatever for sure.
Yup, or tear apart a portable dishwasher...has all the parts.

Exactly. There are ways for sure. Will they be efficient and work well enough is the first barrier, cost is second when you gotta keep it tight to stay going.

Back
Top Bottom