The Honey Oil Thread: From Raw Bud & Trim, To RSO, Through An SPD, To Golden Love!

zeroday

Just getting ready to run a pound and a half of 30% bud and 70% trim. I'm hoping to get 25 grams of golden honey colored oil from it. To do so, I'll be running my raw material through a similar process that @Grandpa Tokin developed, and then adding to his process by evaporating my wash through a water distiller suggested by @No Pain . I'll then decarb the resulting crude oil, and then run it through a Short Path Distillation rig to further refine it down to just the THC, CBD and Terpenes/Flavonoids. This is only my third time doing this, and I'm still learning, so I would appreciate anyone chiming in when they can. @No Pain and I have been having a side conversation via DM that I've already learned a ton from.

Anyway, this is the start of my next run. The result I am looking for? I am looking to have 20-30 of these syringes filled with the same colored oil. This picture was from the last run, my second run through he SPD rig. I got 18 syringes from that run, which were all given out amongst friends in need. I have 5 left, so its time!

More pics and SOPs to come!

0DE65E4C-1B54-446D-AD14-944B9C369B15.jpeg

Got my notepad I'll be sitting in the corner taking notes. Looks interesting. First question is what is SPD?

Cheers and good luck.

Sorry about that. SPD stands for Short Path Distillation. I'll post a picture of it setup, I have one posted around here. Its in its storage box currently. I stand it up when I am getting ready to run it and seal it all up and get the vacuum down to ~20-50 microns, do a run, and then completely clean it with ISO alcohol and then put it back in the box.

I don't know if you were a M.A.S.H. Fan. I was. Always wanted a gin still. By the time I was able to mentally figure it out and have the resources, it turns out its not gin, but straight up THC oil that I am after.

Thanks to all that are spending their valuable time to look at the thread. Again, I can't say how much I value the input and adjustments the input lead to.

Here is where the still is currently resting. In the box under the stuffs.

4143990E-0F30-4BD6-AECA-E437BFE395CE.jpeg

Would like to check out the process.
How do you use your final oil?
:passitleft:

Hmmm, what do I use it for? That is an excellent question. Right now, I'm more or less at the point of, what can't I use it for.

The final product is what you see in the syringe. It was decarbed prior to going through the still, so its fully activated. As you can see from the color, it also doesn't have any of the fats/lipids/proteins/chlorophyll that are in the typical oil you would have that is RSO, the darker, amber, sometimes even black or super dark green oil. In theory, its much more pure than RSO. I have not tested it. This run I will be submitting a sample to a lab in Worcester, MA for a legit COA (certificate of authenticity), so we'll know the result of the process for real, too legit to quit, MC Hammer style!

Back to your question. First thing I did was put a drop in-between my cheak and jaw. I followed the technique here on this website, way up in the gum where it meets the actual soft tissue. Search for it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Second thing I did was gummy bears. Not jello based shit. I actually went through 33 different recipes before I got the taste and texture down. The 34th batch was the only one with THC in it. I wound up with gummy bears that were roughly 12.5mg each. Grape and Cherry. I made 50 of them. Also made 50 "virgin" gummy bears. Both of my kids swear they are legit to the real thing. I used 1 of the syringes for the recipes. 5 of them put me on another planet, comfortably numb as the song says.

Third thing I did was, my wife and I had a friend over for dinner. Typically we light up cones when this typical friend is over. This type, we didn't smoke at all. I made a Peppercorn Steak with a Dijon Peppercorn sauce. I infused the sauce with 1 syringe of the oil. I had chibata bread garlic bread on the side, which we used to sop up every last bid of the sauce. The three of us were comfortable for movies. I had the gummies to add on, and took three of them to get where I wanted to be.

Fourth thing I did, which I did just now, is I put a drop of the oil from the syringe into my Pax 2. I took a hit, sat down and read the last few replies. Took another hit, and then wrote this reply. I think you can tell from this reply, the vape high is an energetic blab your ass off type of high, which I some times enjoy, such as now.

So I'm getting ready to go to bed. And I love the fact that as I put my head down on the pillow, I'll be wondering "What else can I do with it?"

Everyone sleep well!

:lot-o-toke:

I'll also post those recipes. The key is, always add the THC to the "fat stage" of the recipe, or use a carrier oil and add it to the sugar stage. I'm all about fat and sugar, so recipes usually are compatible without having to go all water soluble hitec.

Got stoned one night, read a bunch of stuff on the interwebs, and then drew this on the basement wall as the starting point. It’s right over the surface I set the SPD rig up on, so a good reference still.

3669CA30-6315-4325-BC97-B5D9640194ED.jpeg

You know I'm in for sure . Im in the middle of processing some rso (my way, from dry ice extracted hash) part of it is going to miss the cold filter process as a cancer patient is ready to up to a gram a day and I was caught of guard . Pray for him at this point he is feeling like it has slowed things down but has without a doubt improved his quality of life . I wish I was ready to run it spd for him . Next run .
Now lets get this party started !!!
IMG_6609.JPG
IMG_6610.JPG

You know I'm in for sure . Im in the middle of processing some rso (my way, from dry ice extracted hash) part of it is going to miss the cold filter process as a cancer patient is ready to up to a gram a day and I was caught of guard . Pray for him at this point he is feeling like it has slowed things down but has without a doubt improved his quality of life . I wish I was ready to run it spd for him . Next run .
Now lets get this party started !!!
IMG_6609.JPG
IMG_6610.JPG

That is beautiful dood! What was your raw material weight?

That is beautiful dood! What was your raw material weight?
390 grams so I got a 23.1% return . As far as oil final count isn't in yet Im still washing as the alcohol is still pulling (has color to it ) and im going to continue to wash until its clear . So far I have used 1 1/2 gallons . Did I mention I love my distiller as recapturing my solvent is definitely a plus and as colored as its still coming out I will probably go through another gallon . Now I have a deeper understanding as to why they reflux for three hours in the alchemy book ..constantly producing fresh alcohol out of what add so its constantly washing . I may try the reflux method my next run and see if that pulls everything out . If it did it would be a great time saver , that's for sure . Here is a pic and this is the the first part of the second gallon ! Im excited .
IMG_6617.JPG

Do you guys know anything about trichomes? Can they form loops?
390 grams so I got a 23.1% return . As far as oil final count isn't in yet Im still washing as the alcohol is still pulling (has color to it ) and im going to continue to wash until its clear . So far I have used 1 1/2 gallons . Did I mention I love my distiller as recapturing my solvent is definitely a plus and as colored as its still coming out I will probably go through another gallon . Now I have a deeper understanding as to why they reflux for three hours in the alchemy book ..constantly producing fresh alcohol out of what add so its constantly washing . I may try the reflux method my next run and see if that pulls everything out . If it did it would be a great time saver , that's for sure . Here is a pic and this is the the first part of the second gallon ! Im excited .
IMG_6617.JPG

Very nice! Please post pics when done. Looking at that beaker, looks like you have plenty of love coming!

Very nice! Please post pics when done. Looking at that beaker, looks like you have plenty of love coming!
thank you . I agree and im eager to see as it didn't start getting lighter until the next half gallon went in . So im thinking possibly one wash and run after this as well as it coming to my attention that if you start with a pound or close to it and sift it for kief(and get it all) or wash the biomass you definitely needs to run at least 8 liters through it to get all the oil out.

thank you . I agree and im eager to see as it didn't start getting lighter until the next half gallon went in . So im thinking possibly one wash and run after this as well as it coming to my attention that if you start with a pound or close to it and sift it for kief(and get it all) or wash the biomass you definitely needs to run at least 8 liters through it to get all the oil out.

I typically go with a 4:1 ratio, solvent to biomass. I do it by weight. Did you come to a particular ratio?

Alrighty. I sat down last night to plan out the process. Ideally, I like to do everything serially, stopping only for the winterization parts. However, busy life, crazy wife, so I am splitting the work up between this weekend and next weekend.

I picked up the dry ice this morning. The ethanol is in a cooler with the dry ice. The goal is to get down to -104c, both the biomass and the solvent. The theory is, the colder the alcohol, the less undesirables will be washed away with the THC oil we are after. Undesirables in this context are things like lipids, waxes and chlorophyll.

Last time I ran the process, I had the alcohol in with the dry ice for 6 hours. I'll do the same this time around and then measure the temperature a few times along the way to see where we are at.

An hour into the ethanol deep freeze, and we are at -11c.

The alcohol and the biomass should be at the proper temperature by about 1800 ET today, so I intend to go straight into the wash process, and then the filter process. Before the end of the night, the wash liquid will go back into the bottles, and back into the dry ice for 4 hours. I'll do the filtering and begin evaporating off the ethanol tomorrow (Saturday).

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

If any one is interested in timings, here is the schedule I am following and plan to stick to. Again, I split the process between two weekends. I'll be assembling the SPD rig at night next week, after work and in-between kid sports.

***The Safety Post***

I wanted to post a bit about safety. Of course, I'd hate for anyone to get injured, or worse. Refining cannabis is a fun and rewarding process. However, all that fun and reward can blow up if we aren't careful! So, please abide by the following guidelines. If any of you folks have suggested adds to the safety guidelines, please let me know and we will get your feedback added. Again, the end goal is to collect any and all feedback and incorporate it into instructions that the community here can use. So again, please chime in if you feel something needs to be added!

That being said:

1. Solvents are extremely flammable and prone to explosion. Always work in a well ventilated area.
  2. Utilize proper personal safety gear. This should include, but is not limited to, Eye protection, cold proof and heat proof gloves, splash protection for your chest, abdomen and the front of your legs.
  3. Ensure that any solvents or flammables that are not being used as part of the process are stored away from, and in a separate area from the space you are working in.
  4. Limit any source of fume ignition in your space. Limit the use of electric space heaters, refrigerators/freezers, anything that generates a spark.
  5. Do not smoke while in the space being used to process your weed to oil. This includes any form of combustion, tobacco cigarettes/cigars/pipes, joints, cones, bongs, bowls, all of it. If you must, and I certainly must a few times through the process, do yourself a favor and go outside.
  6. When transporting dry ice, ensure that your car is vented. The ice will melt, creating CO2 that will fill a sealed space, and potentially make you get light headed or pass out while driving. Yes, this has happened in my Audi. To well sealed....
  7. Do not handle dry ice without proper cold protection. Skin contact with dry ice can cause frostbite, very quickly.
  8. Do not store dry ice in a sealed container. As the CO2 turns from its solid form to its gas form, in creates pressure which can cause a sealed container to explode. I like to leave the drain plug on my cooler open. No fluid will come out and make a mess, only CO2 gas.
  9. Do not let dry ice come into contact with plastics for extended periods of time, as they will crack. Use news paper or brown paper shopping bags to separate the dry ice from any plastics, including your cooler, if that's what you are working with. You can use towels as well, but the thinker the material, the less thermal transfer occurs from the alcohol to the dry ice.
Again, please chime in and let me know if anything should be added.

Back
Top Bottom