The Honey Oil Thread: From Raw Bud & Trim, To RSO, Through An SPD, To Golden Love!

Top of the Mornin to ya!

4B850397-DC36-4C41-8758-135EF718E8F3.jpeg

Ok, here is the part that is variable to me. This is where I would usually pull out my Source and evaporate off the alcohol. It works well. However, with this amount of wash to process, it would take me days. @No Pain s suggestion, I picked up the MegaHome. I'm sitting here staring at it, make sure that I understand how this is going to fly, before I get it going.

At the advice Mr. @No Pain, I will be pouring the wash fluid into the decanter first. I'll then mark the decanter with a piece of tape (or whatever else is laying around). Then I'll pour the fluid from the decanter into the still. This way, I'll know when its roughly time to stop. I'll also mark the decanter so I know where 20% less than what went in is. This will be when I open it up and check to see the thickness of the oil. My goal is to leave some of the ethanol in the oil, so that it is easier to work with. It will get completely evaporated off on the hot plate when I go to decarb.

This is the plan anyway. Wish me luck!!!

222F6D35-467D-43B3-99E6-20A45846CEAB.jpeg

All I can say is WOW! @No Pain 's suggestion to use the water distiller instead of the source pay of HUGE!!! I want to say thank you dood. Totally groovy. I think it should win HiTec award of the year! :thanks::love::adore:

My Source can process 250ml of fluid per run, and each run takes 2 hours. I just did 1500ml in 50 minutes. So, I went from 720 minutes down to 50 minutes to reclaim the same amount of alcohol!

Here is how the process went.

I did sit there for a few minutes having a coffee and taking a couple of tastes of medicine. I wanted to make sure I didn't overcook the oil. I wound up putting a label on the side of the decanter. I couldn't find suitable tape, we use what we have friends! I then filled the decanter three quarters of the way up. This was for no reason other than it was the portion of wash liquid that a particular person provided, so I wanted to keep it all separate until all the ethanol is removed. I marked a line on the label to note how much wash liquid was in the decanter to begin with. I then removed 20%. I marked another line on the label. I then poured everything into the still, and then completely cleaned out the decanter to ensure the recovered alcohol won't get contaminated. Lastly, I weighed the decanted empty, with the top on. It weighed 910 grams

IMG_1503.JPG

Only because I had a little bit of dry ice left over, I figured I would put it under the glass decanter. This keeps the glass cold as hell, so when the warm alcohol comes out, it quickly gets cold and no vapor forms.

IMG_1507.JPG IMG_1508.JPG

I was still a bit worried my math would be wrong in terms of the lines, so I pulled the decanter from underneath the spout. I quickly placed a small metal bowl in its place to collect the dripping alcohol. At the same time I placed the decanter with the recovered alcohol in it on the scale and then recorded the weight. I put the decanter back in its place under the dripping alcohol, and then dumped the alcohol from the small metal bowl into the decanter. He marks on the side of the decanter seemed just about right.

IMG_1531.JPG IMG_1532.JPG

After letting it run some more, I finally pulled the power to take the heat off when the alcohol level was just below my 20% mark. I removed the top off of the still, and here is what we had!

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1535.JPG

I used a rubber spatula to help move it to a glass beaker. It was still warm and had alcohol in it still, so it was easy enough to work with. Once I did the best I could, there was still a bit more left.

IMG_1537.JPG

I couldn't stand leaving any amount of love in there, so I used a pipette and sprayed 5ml of fresh everclear in the bottom, and then moved it around with the rubber spatula.

IMG_1538.JPG

It did the trick. I dump the resulting small amout in with the rest of the goodies in the beaker. Later today, I'll boil off the reaming alcohol and decarb it, and then decarb this batch. I'll also be working my way through the rest of the wash liquid. This run was just a test run, because I was using something totally new. Again, many thanks @No Pain

IMG_1539.JPG

Checked the proof of the reclaimed alcohol to make sure it’s going to be high enough to re-use. Confirmed, 190 proof, temperature adjusted to 189 proof.

0F8BC780-6DEE-4563-8A29-7422136D55AC.jpeg

Still working my way through the wash. This is from the first 1500ml of wash processed. I put it on the hotplate to get rid of the last bit of alcohol. I haven't decarbed yet. I'll do that later on.

A9C66136-492B-42D2-A86D-6FE623E00666.jpeg

While I am sitting here waiting for the last bits of wash go through, I wanted to make an introduction. Once I get the SPD rig setup, you’ll see me blasting the glass every once and a while.

without further adieu, say hello to my little friend:

3D6D9B04-6776-4272-BD37-4F086C8F319C.jpeg

Ok, the end of the weekend is quickly nearing. The lights came on in the grow tent and I took a peek in the tents. Seems I have been neglected one of them, and I'm not sure what it is. I'll post pics of it over on frequently asked questions.

I think it was @Silverfox125 who stated on another thread that perhaps it is best to understand growing before getting into the fun stuff that comes after that. I was one of those people who didn't have access to space, so I couldn't grow. But I did have access to lab gear. So, I'd buy weed and experiment with it. That became expensive really quickly. Due to this, I feel that I limited my learning, because I was afraid to ruin stuff that I spent good money on. Now that I know how to grow, I have pounds of weed to experiment with, so I tend to take far more risks. Anyway, I need to increase my growing skills still, so I can produce the best biomass to feed into my oil process.

Here is a quick tip for those that use the Megahome. As we know, while it is running, it constantly streams out alcohol. Its not a drip, its more of a very slow and steady stream. If you need to remove the decanter and empty it or measure what is in it, you basically have to turn it off, wait for it to stop dripping, and then remove the decanter and do what you are gonna do.

Or, you could do this:

5DDFAB60-0B8A-46DF-AB7D-1295E2B4D0DA.jpeg

Start of the day and end of the day.... Looking at it this way without considering all of the steps inbetween, sometimes I feel like its a Wily Wonka thing.

Much more to come, stay tuned!

8B394ECD-0F78-4F4E-8C01-2C53A0C9D7EF.jpeg 971124BE-E994-43A3-8366-7BF70240A780.jpeg

I don't know what other folks do about cleanup. For me, its generally just cleaning the beaker I use, a couple of metal thingies from a turkey trussing kit that I use to move the oil around, a rubber spatula and a small glass jar I use to weigh the oil.

Ghetto TIp: I keep about a pint or so of ethanol set aside. I use it to clean up any drips that occur. I also soak the beaker, rubber spatula and turkey trussing thingies in a bit of ethanol as I am cleaning up. The result is a nice golden solution that I stick in the freezer covered. The next oil run, I throw it into the mix. As you can imagine, when we run the crude through the short path distillation rig, all that glass will have a bit of love left on it. I do the same thing. I wash the glass with ethanol, capture the result and then throw it into a future oil run.

I'm sure some folks would say that is a bit too much. But when I see the color of the ethanol after I soak the tools in it, I can't resist, but to reuse it.

E1E82EE3-BF54-4C8A-8BBE-B2A936945DCB.jpeg

Get it done!

9DBC4423-B6DA-4E79-A851-8DF06E58402B.jpeg

I don't know what other folks do about cleanup. For me, its generally just cleaning the beaker I use, a couple of metal thingies from a turkey trussing kit that I use to move the oil around, a rubber spatula and a small glass jar I use to weigh the oil.

Ghetto TIp: I keep about a pint or so of ethanol set aside. I use it to clean up any drips that occur. I also soak the beaker, rubber spatula and turkey trussing thingies in a bit of ethanol as I am cleaning up. The result is a nice golden solution that I stick in the freezer covered. The next oil run, I throw it into the mix. As you can imagine, when we run the crude through the short path distillation rig, all that glass will have a bit of love left on it. I do the same thing. I wash the glass with ethanol, capture the result and then throw it into a future oil run.

I'm sure some folks would say that is a bit too much. But when I see the color of the ethanol after I soak the tools in it, I can't resist, but to reuse it.

E1E82EE3-BF54-4C8A-8BBE-B2A936945DCB.jpeg
I clean my beakers the same way , now in the case where my friend/patient is using an oral dropper along with the rso I will throw it in the oven and put already infused coconut oil in it and soak up the rest of the goodies for him to use .

I don't think its a bit much at all as they say a penny saved is a penny earned !

Whatever the hell I'm making looks like road tar.
But it’ll lay you out in the road... :laugh:

Everything we manage to make our own is pure love if you ask me. My entire goal is to make the purest stuffs I can, so I don't have deal with the agitation with the laws as I try and maintain my daily intake, as well as avoiding some of the questionable processes the dispensaries are using to produce oil at commercial scale.

I bet your stuffs is just groovy!
:passitleft:

Choirs done, but one....

3A6F11DE-E62E-4197-9FA8-B8229BC2387C.jpeg

Now that was just lovely. A dab or two will do, every time!

Prepping for the final phase of the process: Taking this awesome crude oil that already has me baked and feeling groovy, and refining it even further, down to a nice golden honey colored oil.

After making a complete mess transplanting future oil candidates, I figured getting the space ready for the short path distillation glass was a good next step. Wicked tired now though.

I have a kid with the flue, and a dog with pneumonia, and a wife that is traveling. So I'm not expecting much progress over the next few days. I plan to chill with the boys and get them good.

9C5FB640-0A26-4467-BE0F-A39565658CB2.jpeg D6794785-DC9B-4C37-9C8A-216F7AC0A08D.jpeg 441116EB-6354-463C-A6A8-8CBBE4E760E2.jpeg

Now that was just lovely. A dab or two will do, every time!

Prepping for the final phase of the process: Taking this awesome crude oil that already has me baked and feeling groovy, and refining it even further, down to a nice golden honey colored oil.

After making a complete mess transplanting future oil candidates, I figured getting the space ready for the short path distillation glass was a good next step. Wicked tired now though.

I have a kid with the flue, and a dog with pneumonia, and a wife that is traveling. So I'm not expecting much progress over the next few days. I plan to chill with the boys and get them good.

9C5FB640-0A26-4467-BE0F-A39565658CB2.jpeg D6794785-DC9B-4C37-9C8A-216F7AC0A08D.jpeg 441116EB-6354-463C-A6A8-8CBBE4E760E2.jpeg
You are doing an excellent job on this write up / I am excited to see the next phase ... take care of those in need of you're attention , we will be here when you get back . I wish your sick ones a speedy recovery !

Back
Top Bottom