The Honey Oil Thread: From Raw Bud & Trim, To RSO, Through An SPD, To Golden Love!

Weight. I am pleased with this run. Yes, there were setbacks, but as frustrating as it may seem, I love it. Set backs are how I learn.

Here is the result of the SPD process:

• Starting Biomass Weight (Trim+Bud) = 779 grams
  • Crude Oil Weight (RSO) = 60.1 grams
  • Crude Yield = 7.72%
  • SPD Oil Weight = 49.26 grams
  • SPD Yield from Crude = 81.96%
  • Biomass to SPD Oil Yield = 6.32%

IMG_2138 (2).JPG IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2144.JPG

quickly moving on to packaging!

22BE288A-A805-4DE9-AEF4-29D0D084CE42.jpeg A208271C-FC5A-4C0A-ADB8-5FD2059981E8.jpeg

Awesome job ! Im sure you have sampled it already , so how tasty is it .

To put together a system like yours what would some ones intial investment be ?

Now that you have come to the end I will go back an re read everything and ask some questions . I did not really want to do it along the way in efforts to keep the initial part of the write close together . Besides that you may have covered any questions i may have had in the next post . lol

Awesome job ! Im sure you have sampled it already , so how tasty is it .

To put together a system like yours what would some ones intial investment be ?

Now that you have come to the end I will go back an re read everything and ask some questions . I did not really want to do it along the way in efforts to keep the initial part of the write close together . Besides that you may have covered any questions i may have had in the next post . lol

I have not sampled it yet! I've been putting it in the syringes. I've found do so after sampling gets allot messier. I have 10x 1ml syringes filled. Since you suggested it, on purpose or otherwise, I shall go sample!!!

Oh my. I was expecting strong, but one hit and I’m feeling quite groovy. Second hit, and well, I won’t be filling the rest of the syringes tonight. I’m gonna go take the dogs for a 3 mile. My back is loose. Everything is loose! Absolutely baked! Usually takes me a joint.

Too much mother lovin fun!

E5642EE9-2277-4405-8989-E1511299E7B1.jpeg

No dog walk, wife is on the way home, so I'm going to wait for her to go.

I'm going to get that list of gear together @No Pain to provide budget. Be back with that in a bit.

.....Im sure you have sampled it already , so how tasty is it .

Yes, the sample. Aside from being baked out of my F'ing mind, which I haven't been in a while..... The taste!

I'm tasting in a Pax 2. I was going to take 4 hits, one at each of the power settings on the Pax (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%). I took my first hit at 25%. After about 15 seconds I started to feel it in my head. Their was almost no taste. After about 15 minutes, I took another hit at 50%. More taste, super mellow. Then I got stoned. A little in the body. Up in the head? Well, giddy up. Third hit was at 75%. The taste was very nice. A little bit earthy, then a bit of sweet, then toasted almonds. I'm well beyond stoned. But feeling really groovy. That last hit kind of made my head lift up in a way that I've only felt a few times before.

I guess I'll have to keep it all and not toss it in the trash!

On the buzz, after 3 hits, if the buzz was a song, it would be: Panama - Van Halen. It moves up and down.

Might go for a 4th hit and see what happens.....

@No Pain , regarding your question around the cost of the setup... I priced everything out several different ways. I did everything as a kit, then just the glass, as well as pricing it out buy buying all of the individual parts separately. The cheapest was to buy the glass kit, which comes with all the connectors and stands, all you need is the water bath and the vacuum pump. All in, my setup was $1200, but all I need was the glass kit and the heat bath. I already had the pump.

If I had to do it over again, I would just have spent $500-$600 on Chinese glass kit on Alibaba. Most of the kits you'll find abroad at $1k are Chinese anyway, its just marked up, and you get faster response if you happen to receive broken piece. Since I purchased the glass kit, I have bought 3 Quantum Board LEDs 3 different times, 3 different vendors. As long as they are makred "Trade Assurance", they are safe. I've gotten excellent support, and the one broken part I was shipped was replaced at no cost. The only down side is the shipping time. I think it took me a month to get each of my lights.

So, if you don't mind waiting, you can save yourself serious cash. Same with LED lights BTW.

I just priced out a complete kit on Alibaba. Everything you need to run would cost you $1300, including the pump. Just make sure the pump is dual vane, and that it has a block off valve and a ballast.

Would a parts list help? Or is that too much detail?

@No Pain , regarding your question around the cost of the setup... I priced everything out several different ways. I did everything as a kit, then just the glass, as well as pricing it out buy buying all of the individual parts separately. The cheapest was to buy the glass kit, which comes with all the connectors and stands, all you need is the water bath and the vacuum pump. All in, my setup was $1200, but all I need was the glass kit and the heat bath. I already had the pump.

If I had to do it over again, I would just have spent $500-$600 on Chinese glass kit on Alibaba. Most of the kits you'll find abroad at $1k are Chinese anyway, its just marked up, and you get faster response if you happen to receive broken piece. Since I purchased the glass kit, I have bought 3 Quantum Board LEDs 3 different times, 3 different vendors. As long as they are makred "Trade Assurance", they are safe. I've gotten excellent support, and the one broken part I was shipped was replaced at no cost. The only down side is the shipping time. I think it took me a month to get each of my lights.

So, if you don't mind waiting, you can save yourself serious cash. Same with LED lights BTW.

I just priced out a complete kit on Alibaba. Everything you need to run would cost you $1300, including the pump. Just make sure the pump is dual vane, and that it has a block off valve and a ballast.

Would a parts list help? Or is that too much detail?
thank you . Good Info I was just looking at a kit minus the pump and heat bath and it was 1199.00 (not on alba , it was on usalab) and it was a 500ml ..im having a heck of a time finding a smaller boiling flask but I haven't search Alibaba.

@zeroday I think a complete parts list would be fantastic for me as well as anyone else looking to venture down the spd path .

thank you . Good Info I was just looking at a kit minus the pump and heat bath and it was 1199.00 (not on alba , it was on usalab) and it was a 500ml ..im having a heck of a time finding a smaller boiling flask but I haven't search Alibaba.

@zeroday I think a complete parts list would be fantastic for me as well as anyone else looking to venture down the spd path .

My glass kit is actually the USA labs 500ml kit.

Keep in mind, the only difference between a 250ml kit, a 500ml kit, a 1L, 2L, 5L, etc.... is the boiling flask itself and the heat mantle. I bought the 500ml USA Lab kit, and then bought a 250ml boiling flask form amazon, and a 250ml heat mantle from amazon. Now, I am looking for a 100ml boiling flask and heat mantle.

My point is, if you invest in a 500ml kit, you can always change the boiling flask and the heat mantle. EVerything else will be compatible, as long the glass connections are the same (24/40).

My glass kit is actually the USA labs 500ml kit.

Keep in mind, the only difference between a 250ml kit, a 500ml kit, a 1L, 2L, 5L, etc.... is the boiling flask itself and the heat mantle. I bought the 500ml USA Lab kit, and then bought a 250ml boiling flask form amazon, and a 250ml heat mantle from amazon. Now, I am looking for a 100ml boiling flask and heat mantle.

My point is, if you invest in a 500ml kit, you can always change the boiling flask and the heat mantle. EVerything else will be compatible, as long the glass connections are the same (24/40).
in my search I found a 100ml at labboy as far as a mantel with stirring capabilities I haven't come across one.

Weight. I am pleased with this run. Yes, there were setbacks, but as frustrating as it may seem, I love it. Set backs are how I learn.

Here is the result of the SPD process:

• Starting Biomass Weight (Trim+Bud) = 779 grams
  • Crude Oil Weight (RSO) = 60.1 grams
  • Crude Yield = 7.72%
  • SPD Oil Weight = 49.26 grams
  • SPD Yield from Crude = 81.96%
  • Biomass to SPD Oil Yield = 6.32%

IMG_2138 (2).JPG IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2144.JPG
Absolutely gorgeous! :eek: :drool:
:bravo:

WIth the fun part complete, i.e. the making of the oil, it comes time to cleanup the glass. This is the suck part. Its totally worth it however, because when you want to go for your next run, everything is nice and clean, ready to go. Also, the shit that is left over is really sticky, and also very smelly. I cap off the entire system when I remove the receiving flasks with the goodies. This leave the smell in.

When it comes to what should you clean with, I've heard of, and have seen people do some really stupid shit. I saw one guy use straight up gasoline. Yup, Lets spend $3.10 a gallon to wash shit. Also the fumes and fire haszard isn't worth it. Then there are all the other solvents. In the end, I've found buying a shit ton of Isopropyl Alcohol is the way to go. My wife winds up using it for all kinds of Photography things, I use it for computer cleaning duties, and when it comes to cleaning glass and leaving no water marks, its top notch.

That being said, I treat different pieces of glass in a different way.

At this point, we have the Boiling Flask, the Vigreux and Codensing Head, the Triple Cow, 3 Reciving Flasks, and the Cold Trap.

Do your self a favor, get rid of the Heads Receiving flask as quick as you can. Also get rid of the round bottom flask under the cold flask. Those two have the sticky stuff that we don't want. Put ISO into both and let them sit, capped. Put only a bit in, 20ml. Swish it around, and set aside. for up to a day.

Next, just after disconnecting the rest of the glass, put 20ml of Ethanol in the Mains Reciving Flask and the Tails Receiving flask. We are doing this because after the remaining goodies dissolve into the ethanol, we are going to retain it and use it in a future oil run.

Lastly, I place the Vigreux and Condesner head into a container with enough iso to drench it. I don't like keeping the stuff that comes off in the ISO, because its the junk that couldn't make it up, so its not anything I want.

Also, there is the grease. The grease probably seeps into the hot side of the SPD rig. The hottest side is the boiling flask and head. At the Cow and beyond, its cold enough that the grease won't seep in as much.

Anwyay, I'll throw some pictures in this thread when I get a chance. I did want to get this in here, because cleanup is essential.

Hope everyone is well!

Getting every last drop out of the still!

39D65D5D-E95D-49BD-AFCF-2FA01AEE3F5B.jpeg

Ok, so I have my word documents and my excel spreadsheets all gathered up. Complete SOPs from start to finish.

No way to attach them. Maybe a copy and paste, who knows.

I'm out of raw material at this point, so I'll go dark for a couple of months on this thread. I switched back into grow mode, so I will have the trim and bud to make the next batch. My goal when I grow is to dedicate 25% of the bud to rolling joints, smoking bowls, bongs, etc.... and then 75% of the bud dedicated to oil. 100% of the trim, grade A (no fans or stalks/sticks) goes to oil.

Growing? I have 5x Laughing Buddha and 4x Purple Punch harvesting, drying, curing in the next 45 days. This will feed the SPD Rig!

I hope.

Lies! I owe a parts list, I'll throw that up this weekend! Work is killing me this week. WTF, work always getting in the way of the important stuff!

:lot-o-toke:

Ok, so I have my word documents and my excel spreadsheets all gathered up. Complete SOPs from start to finish.

No way to attach them. Maybe a copy and paste, who knows.
copy and paste would be the only answer unless you have access to an ftp site that you can add a link to them .
Lies! I owe a parts list, I'll throw that up this weekend! Work is killing me this week. WTF, work always getting in the way of the important stuff!

:lot-o-toke:
yes you do and yes it does ...good things come to those who wait :)

Before I get on to a specific parts list, I wanted to mention a few things.

I'm sure @No Pain has been looking around, as well as others that I have been PMing with. So this is review.

When you go looking for an SPD setup, you will find that you can buy each part individually, you can buy the glass and stands as a kit, also a kit that has everything except the heat bath and the vacuum pump, or you can purchase a "Turnkey" setup. The first three are self explanatory, "Turnkey" means you open the box you receive, connect the parts, and just "turn the key" to get it going. You don't need other parts.

When I started my research a while back, I was going the lazy route. I figured it was too complicated to go out and figure out all the parts and pieces I would need, and then go buy them one by one. I started researching the Turnkey setups. I quickly realized that a turnkey setup was way more than I could afford. The typical and smaller Turnkey setup using all USA made glass is around $6,500. That's for a 1L setup. They run all the way up to $150,000, if you want to get nuts.

Ok, eff that, for the smallest setup at $6,500, I figured I'd just suck it up and buy carts and extracts from the dispensaries. And that's what I did for 6 months. I quickly realized the cost involved with keeping up my daily dose, but more importantly became more aware of how it was made on a commercial scale, which made me super paranoid. The solvents they use I don't feel comfortable with, and using cutting agents to thin the oil out so it will work in a cheap cart didn't make sense either.

After pricing out different options over the course of 6 months, I finally decided to buy a Chinese glass kit from a US supplier. This would give me the reduced costs, but someone who I could call to get replacement parts easily. Really, that just means calling to get replacements for parts that broke during shipping. With a US supplier, the turn around is typically a week. With a Chinese supplier, the turn around is a month.

I did wind up pricing out each part individually, it was actually a bit more expensive. But then I also remembered back in chemistry class, trying to get a good seal on two pieces of glass made by two different companies. Sure, they use the same standard glass connection types (24/40 or 14/20), but mixing manufacturers was a pain in the ass when it came to getting a good seal. I decided to just get a kit, with glass, heating mantle and stands needed to get up and running. That just left the vacuum and the heat bath.

Next are the specifics....

Back
Top Bottom