The Incredible Bulk Adventure

I too am running ebb and flow. Your method seems much better. Could we see some more pics of how you're facilitating it? Tia

Hi Beleaf:

Not sure what you are asking here; please be more specific and I will do my best to explain.

It was explained to me that ebb and flow pushes salts to the top of the rockwool cubes as the water in the table rises and it never really washes out like drip irrigating from the top down does. Then watering in very slow and small amounts several times during the watering hours moistens the cubes better and prevents water channeling.

Hi Beleaf:

Not sure what you are asking here; please be more specific and I will do my best to explain.

It was explained to me that ebb and flow pushes salts to the top of the rockwool cubes as the water in the table rises and it never really washes out like drip irrigating from the top down does. Then watering in very slow and small amounts several times during the watering hours moistens the cubes better and prevents water channeling.

Thanks. I pretty much understand the watering. What kind of timer are you using and what parts did you get from Home Depot? I'd like to replicate the system and try it.

Thanks. I pretty much understand the watering. What kind of timer are you using and what parts did you get from Home Depot? I'd like to replicate the system and try it.

I have an Arduino computer running the lights, exhaust fan and CO2 timmer (not using CO2 in summer). The watering pump is controlled by an Apollo 7 and the UV light will be controlled by a 24 hour in 15 minutes manual timer.

The pumps and pressure compensating drip emitters are off Amazon.

Misc hose and drip irrigation plumbing are from Home Depot and Ace hardware. The expandable hose was from Walmart; it is a bitch to work with but is really soft and flexible.

Day 56 Flower Day 21: Time for the weekly update.

Today marks the change in nutrients to drop the nitrogen and add Bud XL. The runoff PPMs have been consistently over 2000 PPMs with no signs of nutrient burn on the plants. The runoff PH has been well within the 5.6 to 6.2 range I target. I let it range as opposed to trying to keep it exactly at 5.8. I have been letting the PPMs of the reservoir drop from ~ 1200 to ~ 700 as the makeup water is added during watering over 3 days before adding nutrients to bring it back up to the 1200 range. I decided on doing this by watching the runoff. As I stated before the plants are using more water than nutrients causing a concentration in the blocks. So I am keeping that concentration below harmful levels and saving on nutrients. The chart below shows the ml I added to 6.1 gallons of what was in the reservoir starting at ~700 PPMs bringing it up to 1340 PPMs; my tap water starts at ~140 PPMs so 1200 PPMs of nutrients.

ScreenHunter_106_Aug_09_21_25.jpg

The plants are doing well and the buds are stacking nicely!

fw3a1.jpg

fw3c1.jpg

fw3e.jpg

fw3d1.jpg

I added the UV light today. AgroMax 4 Foot (45.75") Pure UV T5 Fluorescent Grow Light Bulb. I will start by running it 15 minutes twice during what is the noon and 2 o'clock of their day. I will increase to a max of 4 times a day. I have to move the light around in my space to get complete coverage. Sooner or later I need to get another one.

Day 63 Flower Day 28: time for the weekly update.

The runoff reached 2600 PPMs so I did a one day flush yesterday with PHed water and the runoff has come down to 700 PPMs - 140 PPMs for water starting point = 560 PPMs. This week marks the addition of Top Booster and the ml used for 6.1 gallons represents 80% of H&G's chart. This equals 1000 PPMs of nutrients.

fw4e.jpg

The girls are doing well, the buds are stacking nicely and the frost is beginning. I am running the UV lamp 4x15 for one hour exposure.

fw4a.jpg

fw4b.jpg

fw4c.jpg

Day 70 Flower Day 35:

Time for the weekly update. I have been following the same pattern of letting the nutrients drop from about 1200 PPMs to 700 PPMs minus the starting water of ~140 PPMs over three days before topping the nutrients back up to 1200 PPMs. This seems to keep the runoff ~2000 PPMs and no noticeable nutrient burn. The nutrient schedule adds Shooting Powder Top Shooter not used. this week and the amount in the chart is in grams since it is a dry product. Here are the amounts for 6.1 gallons in ml.:

nutes71.jpg

It is hard to get a good perspective on the size of the plants through the door as to the size of the plants and buds. The tallest plant is about 40" and the longest bud is about 18". They are still stacking and the frost is coming.

w7a.jpg

w7d.jpg

w7c.jpg

w7b.jpg

w7e.jpg

I think the INB grow is running a week to ten days ahead of schedule. This may be due to the 730 nm red light I used at flip as it is purported to shorten the ripening time. It also may be partly due to indoor growing as well as normal variation. Any how I think I may be a week to 10 days from harvest.

The amber trichomes on the edge of the leaf I attribute to the AgroMax Pure UV lamp:

inbripe1.jpg

The pistols are beginning to dry:

inbripe3.jpg

And the trichomes on the buds are getting milky:

inbripe2.jpg

So I will be keeping a close eye on the ripeness from now on.

Day 77: Flower Day 42:

Time for the weekly update: Well we are almost there the trichomes are cloudy with some amber around the edges most likely from the UV light. I expect amber to start showing on the buds soon. We are having a crazy heat wave here and my temperatures have gone into the 90s for short periods; certainly not ideal for finishing off. I am having outdoor temperatures over 110°F. This is one of the reasons I chose "The Incredible Bulk" for this grow as it is purported to handle the heat well. The strength of the aroma is slight which means I am not burning off the terps. Only cured bud will reveal the truth. The surprise in the weather this year is how dry it is and I have been able to keep the grow room under 60%. I did not use the Serenade as I never saw the need. Last Year was a struggle to keep the humidity under 80%. As soon as I see 10% amber I will start a 3 day flush of just PHed water.

The nutrient schedule for this week is as shown below:

w11nutes.jpg

The buds are bigger than boxing gloves in the length and still putting on weight:

w11a.jpg
w11b.jpg
w11c.jpg
w11d.jpg
w11i.jpg

Ok lets sum this up:

The new hydro method was easy enough after I got the hang of it. I am not sure the yield (1.27gpw 400 g/ m2) would match if I had used DWC for these same plants but there are just way too many variables to pinpoint one of them as the biggest factor. I like rockwool cubes and will be using the method for the foreseeable future. The nutrient usage is very little compared to other methods I have used at ~35%. It is an easy method to keep clean and restart the next grow. The materials are light and easy on my bad back.

I did not have any major problems with the House & Garden products in this grow but I have had one since with a 4.4 low PH in another run. I am considering going back to Dyna-Gro. I want to finish my current grow to see if there are any perceivable qualities in the finished product to warrant the higher price and potential PH problem.

I do not smoke bud yet I have it on good authority that the weed has good flavor and better than average stone. I have pressed rosin from it , (medium in color and medium in yield) then mixed with Puff Magic for use in a vape. I taste the Puff Magic over the rosin so a flavor profile is well - woody, chemically. It gives me an up high that creeps, then mellows slowly to a relaxed body buzz. No couch lock. Pain relief is good. I have some bubblegum terpenes ordered. Maybe it can overpower the Puff Magic. Some of my friends really like the 'FAKE' flavors and who knows maybe I will also.

This was a summer grow. Yields here in the summer are reduced by fluffier buds.

I would recommend this strain - Dr. Krippling's The Incredible Bulk.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom