The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

What led are you using? I'm going to get one after this round is done which will be delayed now that I have more cuts to veg

I have the Dorm Grow 450 and a Mars Hydro 100x3 (no longer available). There's a Mars Hydro 60x5 in shipment, another clearance piece.

Up too late last night and feeling lost tonight. I believe it's past my bedtime, so I'm going to make it an early one.

Good night. :love:

I'm really digging those "Made by Sue for Sue" pots. You've got mad skills girl!! :thumb:

do you have a pattern for them pots sue???

I'm really digging those "Made by Sue for Sue" pots. You've got mad skills girl!! :thumb:

Why thank you, kind sir. :battingeyelashes: I'm having fun making them. I surprised myself and had them come out the perfect size. :laughtwo: I'm so thankful to Canna for the inspiration.

do you have a pattern for them pots sue???

No I don't Bear. I just decided how big I wanted the base (these are 5" square) and how high I wanted the sides and went at it free-style. It's as much therapy as anything else. The hand sewing is a meditation.

Screenshot_2015-06-28-20-46-25.png
Here's something to brighten up your day Sue! I know how you love these devils!

And then there were two. Four more to go for this cycle.

. . .

This is so therapeutic. The meditative quality of one stitch following another has calmed me. The sense of accomplishment following so much frustration is a balm for my soul.

Only 16 more to go. :laughtwo: I wonder if the last five will feel as therapeutic? Will they just feel like my fingers are bleeding by then? I think by that time I may be questioning my sanity. Hahaha!

I don't mind sewing the odd button or two. Not sure I could hand sew as much as all that, good on ya ! :high-five:

quick question.
?
What kind tray do you guys use for pots? (cheap, DIY or other)
Is there a ready made one ?
I have a 7 gallon fabric on the way. 14 inch diameter pot.
Thanks

And then there were two. Four more to go for this cycle.

image27708.jpg

This is so therapeutic. The meditative quality of one stitch following another has calmed me. The sense of accomplishment following so much frustration is a balm for my soul.

Only 16 more to go. :laughtwo: I wonder if the last five will feel as therapeutic? Will they just feel like my fingers are bleeding by then? I think by that time I may be questioning my sanity. Hahaha!

They look amazing but I have 1 question...:confused: Would it be a lot of extra work to add handles...:confused: I know you probably don't have the issues I do with lifting but the difference in a 5 gallon pot with or without handles is immense to me.... I literally can't move one that has just been watered without the handles... so I was just curious if it was something you had thought about or would even benefit you.... and p.s. as long as you still questioning your sanity... you'll be fine....:circle-of-love:

Daily Update:Perpetual Tent - Week 8

image27729.jpg

First things first. The plants are all under the Dorm Grow 450, but we have that Mars Hydro 100x3 just hanging unused over there, and how wrong is that?

image27730.jpg

Better. :cheesygrinsmiley: The Dorm Grow 450 sits about 29" above the canopy, as per manufacturer's instructions. The Mars Hydro 109x3 hangs at about 19". I'll watch for any signs of bleaching and adjust accordingly. I think these are sitting pretty here though. I like the red tones the Mars Hydro introduced. When Doc reviewed the Dorm Grow it was with the addition of a red spectrum light up beside it during bloom. This brings us back closer to that successful run, and that pleases me to no end. Whew! It's starting to feel like I have something actually going on here again. Deep sigh of relief guys.

image27731.jpg

So let's take a stroll through and check out the cast of characters, shall we?

African Buzz: Day 47.

image27732.jpg

image27733.jpg

Auto Destroyer, smelling incredibly intoxicating, at Day 48.

image27734.jpg

image27735.jpg

Auto Jock Horror x Auto Amnesia, my lanky baby, at Day 46.

image27736.jpg

image27737.jpg

Cheese Candy, at Day 48, and just look at her! I'm gonna have to step up to the plate when I start my next cycle and try my hand at some serious training. Just because I'm growing petite lovelies there's no reason to just leave them alone when I could be learning how to manipulate and (that word Doc's so fond of reminding me of) "cultivate". :laughtwo:

image27738.jpg

image27739.jpg

The profile shot of the tent shows everyone praying to the light. SweetSue's little kingdom may be salvageable after all guys. I'm standing here looking in and feeling pretty stoked.

image27740.jpg

Good. I needed that more than any of you could ever know. This is part of that healing and rebuilding phase I find myself in. It was unacceptable to me that there be any more decline. Now we're firmly on a healing path and I know with certainty that I'm not only going to survive but come out stronger than I imagined possible.

Environmental controls are stable.

image27741.jpg

Today I begin the process of modifying my LOS. I've been in conversation with our resident soil professor, PeeJay, and we've decided I need to lighten the mix and see how it performs. Working with the HB kit has been an eye-opener for me, but I lacked the background and the focus to make the changes necessary to get it right. I'm beginning to grasp the concepts now and that's enough to get started on making modifications. I'll be mixing up a seedling medium and then I plan to toss that extra LOS pot back into the tote with my reserve soil and add more perlite and peat to it. Since I have it on hand I'll be using the ProMix HP.

Let's see how this goes. I've been watching Conradino this season as he modified his soils and I think this could be exciting. Don't you just love the way we have so many grows to study and so many talented growers to help us along that road to success? This community becomes more fascinating to me every day.

420 - if you're out there watching, my heartfelt thanks for making this resource available to us. I know there are days when you wonder why you bother. Right here. This moment in time. This is one of those reasons. You've allowed us to build this incredible community that spans the globe and made us all family. This family has saved me at a critical time in my own life.

Thank you for that.

Ok guys, enough of me. You know the drill. You. Joy. Spread it far and wide. I'll do my best here in my little slice of paradise. :battingeyelashes:

:Namaste:

wow, I love those fabric pots! awesome stitch work, sue. you should start a business :D hey, what was the final weight on that dark devil auto? sorry if I missed that post. So many threads to keep up with it's insane! have a wonderful day and week, sue.

quick question.
?
Thanks
For some cheap drip pans you can go to a 99 cent store and grab whatever size is appropriate for your pots of those disposable aluminum baking trays. Keep in mind, it's ok to get them a little big because you can bend them up & around the pot but if they're too small they'll over-flow.

Screenshot_2015-06-28-20-46-25.png
Here's something to brighten up your day Sue! I know how you love these devils!

Wow Tylr! She's beautiful!!! Have you tried any yet? I always do a flash dry and decarb to get a quick taste. If not, when you jar it up, decarb a piece and try it. I want to see if a third grower gets that intense, long-lasting buzz. It's the most amazing high I think I've had to date. I've been smoking mine since harvest and that buzz is still as strong now as when I started smoking it. Usually I build a tolerance. Not with this one yet.

I'll be planting another this week using Doc's kit. :slide: Yeah, that's going to be special. I'll be ordering more seeds of this strain. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't mind sewing the odd button or two. Not sure I could hand sew as much as all that, good on ya ! :high-five:

quick question.
?
Thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking kelticBlue. Are you talking the drain/drip tray? I personally used one sold to keep wet shoes on. One of those held two 7 gallon pots nicely.

Sue, it is hard to beat the local hydro shop for drip trays like these large sturdy plastic ones for about $1.50 each. They last a long time and they have lots of sizes. Those are 10 gallon pots.

20150628_080903.jpg

They look amazing but I have 1 question...:confused: Would it be a lot of extra work to add handles...:confused: I know you probably don't have the issues I do with lifting but the difference in a 5 gallon pot with or without handles is immense to me.... I literally can't move one that has just been watered without the handles... so I was just curious if it was something you had thought about or would even benefit you.... and p.s. as long as you still questioning your sanity... you'll be fine....:circle-of-love:

If I were doing even one gallon I probably would have put handles on, but these are so small Dennise I decided there wouldn't be any problem moving them. They'll hold about 3/4 a gallon in soil. I should be able to handle that. If it gets to be a problem though, they would be easy to add on. Even with handles my 7 gallon pots are almost immovable for me. :laughtwo:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :circle-of-love:

wow, I love those fabric pots! awesome stitch work, sue. you should start a business :D hey, what was the final weight on that dark devil auto? sorry if I missed that post. So many threads to keep up with it's insane! have a wonderful day and week, sue.

I did not weigh her, sad to say. I started baking buds for Dale as soon as she was able to be used, and I pushed it at that. He only got one taste of her, and he was so far under the influence of opiates by then he didn't get a real feel for her wonder. After that I just went to smoking her up.

If I were to guess though,

image27759.jpg

This is what's left of her, the very top of the main cola. Completely dry and somewhat cured, it weighs 3 grams. I'd say that's about 1/8 of what I harvested. That means somewhere between 20-24 grams. I think that's a close approximation.

Sue, it is hard to beat the local hydro shop for drip trays like these large sturdy plastic ones for about $1.50 each. They last a long time and they have lots of sizes. Those are 10 gallon pots.
. . . .

:thanks: . . . Thanks Guys, that is brilliant! I knew I had seen something like that. Prolly at a hydro store. I will most likely do a aluminum baking tray to start and at somepoint get over to my 'local' to see if they have drip trays like that. wonderful.

Edit: I dont know why I couldn't find what I was looking for all morning, now I find nothing but drip trays:goof:

Hi Sue! :love: My advice for growing with a dry cycle is - fear not. Cannabis can survive (and actually thrive) in some very dry places. I heard earlier in this journal that with HB, a dry cycle is necessary... so don't be afraid to let it dry out pretty good. I've heard from some growers (some greenhouse seed company grow session videos spring to mind) that excessively drying certain strains out for 4-5 days in the 4th-5th weeks can actually force quicker maturation, more trichs and better flavor. Then they flood the soil with water and revitalize the plant. I don't know exactly how this dry cycle causes such a significant difference in their observations, I'd have to go back over those videos.

I know this goes against your LOS roots (and mine) to dry out the soil, but it wont do too much harm. You'll probably astonish yourself in time just how dry a cannabis plant can get and still be happy. While what we're told with LOS is true (that fungi, esp. mycos, will die off in times of drought) - I'm assuming that the chemistry going into a HB kit doesn't depend as heavily on those fungal chains. There's probably more abundant quicker-uptake nutrients that roots don't need any assistance in absorbing. That's just my 2 cents.

And temps and RH I've had all over the board. Worst cold damage I ever had was 40 degrees overnight for several nights in a row and I ended up with good buds, my outdoor plants deal with 100+ degree weather regularly in July/August. Indoors I've had humidity reach 90 during flowering, and still didn't get any mold indoors, and have never had any issues with low humidity (~10%). The issue for me was that those RH/temp conditions weakened/stressed my plants enough for pests to move in like mealybugs and mites, and ants recently, and between all that, it became a serious concern.... but somehow I always end up with buds. I used to obsess, like OMG! If I don't get everything perfect the world will recede into oblivion! IT'S CHAOS!! but - I learned weed has a will for survival. They really can behave like weeds.

Sorry to hear of the cheese candy SC, but it looks like its doing just fine.

It's good that you're taking everything in stride and staying true to yourself, rain-walks to McD's and all. :Namaste: :laughtwo: :hug:

Thanks for all this insight Baby. :circle-of-love: that McDs run was a trip. I was literally dripping wet. Hahaha!

$1.50 each. They last a long time and they have lots of sizes. Those are 10 gallon pots.

20150628_080903.jpg
At that price those are probably the better buy in the long run. Even though you can get 4 or 5 aluminum trays for a buck we throw them out after each run instead of washing them out; If you've ever washed those aluminum trays after baking in one you know they get pretty prone to pinholes when you reuse them.

Back
Top Bottom