The Little Sprout That Could (now w/pix)

GimmieGreenie

Hi all
Gimmie Greenie here with the most ghetto of all ghetto tech systems. Yet the plant seems to doing extremly well.
Before i start, i would like to first apologize for not putting it on the site sooner.
There is a big jump i how the plant looks now for the first photo i took when it sprouted. A working camera was the main issues but really...i just didn't think she was gonna make it. Glad to say she proved me wrong:yummy:.

-Heres a run-down on how it started-
I used 17 of my best looking bagseeds. Germinated in a foam cup with bottled water. This germination process was very very long maybe about 3 weeks in total if not longer.
I knew being that i was using mixed bagseeds this could happen, so i still cared over all the seeds. After about a week less then half were cracked, i moved them all into a long semi-clear plastic container. Putting the cracked ones in soaked rockwool plugs and the others in a paper towel, folded it lighty and placed put into the foam cup. The plastic container hold all this very well. After almost 2 week only 4 sprouted very weak. i moved the container under my reptile light. i noticed no growth in 5 days.
Till 1 morning i took the container out the dark open it and saw 1 tall yellow sprout. It was a full 3inches tall, taller then the other 3 that i later saw compeletly stopped growth.
The shell was still hanging on kindof tight so i gave it natural sunlight and later that day when it got some color, i helped the shell off.

This grow has really been amazing to see and over the following week she just greener and stronger. After another week of sitting a rockwool plug in a foam cup she had 1 long root grow out the bottom of the rockwool cube. She clearly wanted to live some i decided to help her along. i picked up some blackgold worm casting and foxfarms chucky perlite and some cheap peat cups. Sprinkled some perlite on the bottom then pure worm casting, then a mix of both on the sides and top to bury some of the stem.

And well Heres the goods :yummy:
pt2.jpg

It grow tilled because of the ligth

pt3.jpg

when it first sprouted out the rockwool it sprouted very tall and yellow. I even wrote a post about it on here the next day. i gave it sunlight and when it truned green i gave a little pinch. it layed down and i though it was a gonner. but least then a week late she healed up and grew with a sick bend. Hows that for LST :D
pt4.jpg

This was taken the first week of august.

Since this photo i made some major changes.
She started growing very very fast, i think because of the worm casting and 100watt cfl.
I wanted to make aeroponic set-up and ever brought a pack of 10 micro misters, tupperware etc, but i wasn't gonna do all that just for 1 single plant. So from 1 extreme to another, i set it up in a empty soda bottle... (cough)
Now i set this type of system up for friends over past couple years but i never tried it for myself. For them i used wick, but i didn't want wick. I want something better, faster, i wanted something new and improved, i wanted the best of both worlds.
pt5.jpg

And here She is. YES! that is a 2liter bottle of sprite

What basically did was put a wick system in a DWC Deep Water Culture bucket.
When i moved the plant into the bottle i first use rockwool plugs. I ripped them into big chunks and put them bottom of the bottle ( after it was cut flipped and cleaned) then sprinkled a thin layer of the perlite, then the worm casting. After that i took a peat cup gave it 3 cuts on the side and spread it out to cover most of the mix i added. Then i layered some more with shredds of rockwool to lighten the soil mix. When it was just over half full i put the plant (which was growing in a peat cup full of worm casting and a few perlites) in the middle and fulled in the side with a mix of shredded rockwool, perlite and worm casting. i later top it all off with pure worm casting

Now i now some people are shaking their head right now LOL BUT! There is a reason for my madness. First i wanted the sweetness that soil gives, thus the worm castings. (which btw is technically is not soil, but still holds alot of the same properties of soil) I did NOT use a wick because... well i didn't want to use a wick :p lol I though that using a wick would slow the system down to level i felt would be unnecessary and more trouble then its worth. I rather just grow in soil stright-up. So i placed the wick with something much more benificial to me and the plant both "AIR".
Taking a page from our very own 420mag Family memeber Pericodaking (big up to you my homies :ganjamon:) and his HYDRO Bucket constrution. I used a small black 99cent pale in the bucket itself to serve as the personal bubble chamber for the roots of the plant. black ofcourse to keep the roots in the dark and a small airstone attached to a weak fishtank airpump. I did cut hole in the bottom of the pale so water can freely pass, but it keeps all the air bubbles right on the roots :slide:
Take a look
pt6.jpg

Yes! that is plastic bag held on with rubber bands and clamps
hey it works
pt7.jpg

a week ago you could see none, now look :slide:

Heres whats crazy to me.
look at this
pt8.jpg

See those 2 other little plants. I didn't plant those. But i let them grow and now. im not sure want to do, i should had transplant them alot eariler but i didnt want to hurt the roots of my main plant. They grew very skinny not at all like the main girl and their only showing 3 leaves for the most part. However i see no signs of pollon sacks at all.
What should i do with them?

-Ok Back in the Here and Now -
I recently added a 300watt CFL to the grow. it's been working out great and the plant clearly wants to enter the bloom stage.
pt10.jpg

I kept it on 6 hours of dark to create 3 more clone site on the plant. Now i see at least 6 good clone sites. do you see any?
pt1.jpg

Question???
How soon can i add blooming nutes after taking cutting form the mother?
Heres a shot of what im using
pt9.jpg

That PureBlend Pro Grow Is some damn good stuff. I wanted to get fox farms but was talked into using the PureBlend and glad i was. The Dyna-Grow Bloom i haven't used yet waiting to take the cutting first. but im told its very very potent stuff and to use it carefully.

Well i guess that about it for You all been well caught-up in the grow of Gimmie Greenie. Any input would be appreciated. any of my old buddies on here, feel free to stop by and shot the crap with me.

Thank to you all for your awesome support
P.s. i will be calling this Deep Water Culture in honor of that asshole. Those that know, know who im talking about. -Double.G out:Rasta:

A quick update
Had a big gnat attack on Roxy the other day. i Moved her, cleaned the bucket changed the plastic and all the water. I used a weak oil soap on the soil to kill and possible eggs that may have layed. I didn't have sand on hand so it i topped it all with perlite. I caught this attack fast and the area is now gnat free, thanks to candles spray and windows. Because of this i was forced to take cutting a day early. Since i took the cutting i put Roxy in the flower chamber but im still not yet feed her the bloom nutes, just pure water and the weak oil soap solution. i think it was all the misting i did to prep the plat for cloning that attracted the gnats all of sudden. I read that august is there main month they tend to breed. I now keep the grow area very dry and cool.
I really the oil soap worked. They say it doesn't harm the plant but who really knows. This is why i made only a weak solution. i cap full in a gallon and i poured only about a cup and a half on the soil bed. Depending on how she look today, hopfully i wont have to add anymore. I rather make the tobacco juice.
I'll add more pictures soon

so Double G, what have you ended up doing w/ those 2 extra plants that have sprouted next to the main grl? lets hope that sprite bottle's a 3 liter! lol anyword on the sex of the unknowns??? :bongrip:

BIG UPDATE...............
Double G here again, I made some changes since last. I moved Roxy after the gnats invaded the grow area. i thought they were gone but yesterday there was a few more. I decided not to make the tobacco juice, but to use pure natural neen oil. I used only a little of the neem in a spray bottle with some pure water. i sprayed it down and poured the excess on the soil to keep any possible eggs from hatching. This neen oil should not harm the plant or the ph but People say it will effect the taste of the plant for up to a month. I'm at least 2 months anyway from harvest so im not worried. If anything i'll add Humic acid 2 weeks before harvest if need be to bring some taste back.
The Neen smells like old raw coffee bean btw. so hope it works.

Heres a shot of Roxy before the Neen oil, the Gnat attack, and the move... the good olde days lol . damn it's been crazy 4 days
pt11.jpg

Clones are looking well i guess. they look as fresh as the day i cut them. no wilting and top of the short one seems like it point up a bit. Im taking that as a good sign, like its trying to reach the light.
pt13.jpg

pt14.jpg

another shot of the my 4 little ladies
pt12.jpg

with the dome on.

The other 2 little Plants that grew with Roxy for doing very well. They are bigg enough to flower along with her so that seems to be the plan now. Still not 100% should if they are Female but it seems like it. Heres a quick shot
pt16.jpg

This one grew far out to the side. it is kindof tall now

And this one below is the short one. Its short but very strong with long 3 leaf shoots
pt18.jpg

Well thats all for now. The Main plants Roxy had a burn on a top fan leaf so i cut the tip of that fan leaf off. I hope it bouces back with the neen giving it a nice shine.
Wish me luck
pt17.jpg

pt15.jpg

MAn GG! they're looking alot stronger, and fuller man. Filling out real nice! Im sure Roxy's top leaves will be fine, with a little snip here and there, hah, she's in a good stage to where that little of a cut wont really throw it in to shock. But yea man, props! keep it up mannnnn!

MAn GG! they're looking alot stronger, and fuller man. Filling out real nice! Im sure Roxy's top leaves will be fine, with a little snip here and there, hah, she's in a good stage to where that little of a cut wont really throw it in to shock. But yea man, props! keep it up mannnnn!
Thanks Skreezly
i did just that ;)

Heres a quick update on the grow.
Roxy is in week 3 of flowering and Due to poor preplanning and early stress she has turned hermie on me.
The problems where(in order)
:High PH which started after buying cheap water. (word to the wise people don't buy walmart water) This water was actully twice as bad as a my tap water. The PH tested DARK green where my tap was only at 6.9. i should had stuck to my Poland Springs and treated tap water like when i started but live and learn.
:2nd problem You guessed it. No testers. I didn't get the PH test kit till shit was clearly going wrong. Im a idiot what can i say :/
:3rd was lack of magnesium and iron whice i corrected quickly with some MagiCal (i do recommed this stuff if u have an iron, calcium or magnesium deficiency. It works works very fast and can be appiled to soild or hydro)
:4th was lack of air/ whice i corrected by adding a much stronger air pump. After doing this Roxy started to grow again.

I took the clones before all hell broke lose on the mother, so hopfully they will grow to be 100% female. But no sprite bottle for them. I made a proper DWC from a plastic storage bin. all the clone are well rooted now and looking great. i potted them in foam cups with worm castings. sitting a temp water bucket with some air. wish them luck

Right now my grow room seems to be back to normal. Roxy may have turned hermie but is looking bright green and perky once again. after talking to others in the 420mag Family i chose to let her grow anyway. It is my firsttime after all. I cant just hack it down. Some say i can still smoke it and get high so we'll see how that go's.

:popcorn:Pictures coming soon:popcorn:

hi all so sorry for the hiatus. been doing lots of moving around so i couldn't do another grow for awhile :(
But things seem to be ok now i hope.
Alway Roxy finished quit well. She gave me almost a full oz. The smoke was just ok but it did hermie on me due my sloppy handling of the males, and it was bagseed.

The education i got from doing this grow was priceless. Do to me doing it in such a ghetto way i learn alot about nutrient deficiency, pest like gnats and how to kill them (i used natural neem oil, smelled god awful but worked great.
I do miss growin Roxy, she was trooper, she lived past alot of issues and stayed strong from beginning to end.
I had pictures of the end result, the dry nugs but i had to erase them so time ago.
Thanks to All my 420mag fam for the insight info and support.

Back
Top Bottom