The Living Medicine Cabinet

Sorry for not being around guys. Just got back from Japan - which was amazing in every way - and then got food poisoning on the flight back :( So, I've been dealing with jet lag and just generally feeling completely out of it. But I'm feeling better now! I ordered my seeds from Midweek Song two days ago so hopefully I'll get them some time late this week or early next week. They take mastercard, so they have newly devoted patron in me! :)

360grow its good to see you in here! My hugelkulture project is being held up by H________s. They are going to finally ship the seeds tomorrow now that I am back...which means that I still have to sprout everything and then finally plant. They really screwed me guys. Its really one of the worst experiences I have had shopping online - and with such a recommended vendor...I am extremely disappointed to say the least. The only reason I may use them in the future is because of their selection. At least I got them to refund me my shipping fee after a couple heated emails... I'll just copy and paste the last email I sent that got me my partial refund...

I just don't feel that I should be paying for shipping at all - it should be refunded and come out of your pocket. I paid for one thing and got something entirely different. I understand that running a small operation can be difficult ( I am a small business owner myself), but to be honest that isn't really any of my concern. If I broke promises to my customers and then justified it with a "we've been busy and we are under staffed"...well lets just say that isn't any kind of way to instill trust, nor does it take responsibility for your actions. I highly doubt the owners of the company would offer those excuses as closure.

And if your operation is as small as you say, it seems like it would be fair to make the assumption that you are all at least marginally versed or interested in agriculture. If that assumption is safe to make, then what follows is that you should know that Horizon has completely screwed my garden this summer. Ultimately, I am the one paying for your mistakes when it should be the other way around. What frustrates me is your refusal to acknowledge that.

I would like the contact information for your manager or even someone from the Cech family so that I can ask for a refund on shipping - not just a pushed off delivery date.

The rep I was speaking to was Laura...I think I may have also spoken on the phone with her prior to the email. All she kept saying was, "I really don't know what to say." How pathetic is that? And on top of that trying to use the size of their operation as an excuse. I can sympathize with the challenges of working for a small business, but to simply leave it there and offer no closure is absurd.

Anyways...I got composted horse manure from my parents' farm that I will be mixing into the soil and possibly digging up a new bed. My friend is a little wary of all the work I wanted to do so I will have to tame it back some. She is after all only renting the property so I understand. I can't wait until I get my own little slice of land so I have the freedom to do what I want! Ahhh someday right?

Oi...all my worms in my worm bin have died. I think the container got rained on while I was gone, which wiped out alot of my critters. That combined with the heat we've been getting wiped them out. But I can't keep them inside...the fruit flies and soldier flies buzzing around my apartment was getting too much. I need to figure out what I am going to do in the future to keep them alive.

BUUTTT *Drumroll*

There is some good news....I GOT MY SEEDS!!! :slide:
WP_20150616_17_41_53_Pro.jpg

I chose to have them shipped in a book. Now I have a book to hide some of my goodies in. :) I would definitely recommend Midweeksong. They were faster than attitude. The only thing is their freebies are not as good...maybe? Mine came from Spanish Seeds which there are pretty much no reviews online about them. But who knows, maybe they could be halfways decent or maybe I'll gift them to a friend who is looking at getting into growing.

Now I just have to finish up my cab and we will be under way. I am disappointed in myself that I have let the cab take this long, but I've been busy so screw it. Good things come to those who wait!

I'm subbed CC :) sorry about the worms but I'm excited to see you at work. I love your whole attitude towards organic growing. I bet that Cindy 99 will be awesome! :Namaste:

Thanks for subbing up! One of these days this grow will actually get underway and we will actually have something to look at!

Edit: And yes I am specifically very excited about c99. Its gonna be killer. My only worry with afgooey is that it is said to get a little leafy (leaf to calyx ratio). I just wish I had more room to grow a couple more strains!

Oi...all my worms in my worm bin have died.

BUUTTT *Drumroll*

There is some good news....I GOT MY SEEDS!!! :slide:
[/img]

I chose to have them shipped in a book. Now I have a book to hide some of my goodies in. :) I would definitely recommend Midweeksong. They were faster than attitude. The only thing is their freebies are not as good...maybe? Mine came from Spanish Seeds which there are pretty much no reviews online about them. But who knows, maybe they could be halfways decent or maybe I'll gift them to a friend who is looking at getting into growing.

Sorry to hear about your worms. I remember as a kid growing up that my Dad kept "night crawlers" in a tub in the basement. He had some tore up news paper on top the soil. I don't remember ever seeing flies around them. I have been considering trying to makes some worm compost inside :hmmmm:

I second the free seeds from Midweek Song. But it was kind of nice picking out what free seeds I wanted vs. them just telling me this is what you get. But then again Midweeks free seeds didn't have that designer feel to them.

Glad you got your seeds :)

The heat is the bigger issue. The bin is under a covered balcony
...it got rained on because of extreme wind which was obviously unusual. I'm not going to be leaving it out in the future.

I think the key to no bugs is not over feeding the worms. I swear all my dad put on his was shredded newspaper.

The bugs will be attracted to the rotting food if you put to much garbage on top. Try and figure out what the minimum type of feed is required. Off the top of my head I am thinking a light sprinkle of corn meal and shredded newspaper on top would be all you need.

I think the key to no bugs is not over feeding the worms. I swear all my dad put on his was shredded newspaper.

The bugs will be attracted to the rotting food if you put to much garbage on top. Try and figure out what the minimum type of feed is required. Off the top of my head I am thinking a light sprinkle of corn meal and shredded newspaper on top would be all you need.

You very well might be right. I've been considering what I should stop feeding them. I've been feeding apple cores and banana peels which probably attract the most critters. Many people make the argument for feeding thermicompost to make a sort of a super vermicompost, but thats not entirely doable for me. I would like to recycle as many kitchen scraps as possible.
...i may need to start freezing scraps and only feed what I need every other day or so.

You very well might be right. I've been considering what I should stop feeding them. I've been feeding apple cores and banana peels which probably attract the most critters. Many people make the argument for feeding thermicompost to make a sort of a super vermicompost, but thats not entirely doable for me. I would like to recycle as many kitchen scraps as possible.
...i may need to start freezing scraps and only feed what I need every other day or so.

It probably depends on a few factors and your situation. I have been following "TheRoach" journal and he is putting a ton of garbage on his worm compost. Maybe pop over and asked him about flies/bugs.

TheRoach's First - Soil - Aurora Indica - Organic Grow - 600W

It probably depends on a few factors and your situation. I have been following "TheRoach" journal and he is putting a ton of garbage on his worm compost. Maybe pop over and asked him about flies/bugs.

Thanks! I went over there and did some reading/asked a couple questions.

One thing that just went through my head was that by feeding alot of fuits and veggies which contain pesticides I am inadvertently adding pesticides to my plants. I did a quick google search and found that not many people are tackling that question. I will definitely have to look further into that.

This is what I love about being here - all the crazy questions and worries that I wouldn't be thinking of otherwise!

Thanks! I went over there and did some reading/asked a couple questions.

One thing that just went through my head was that by feeding alot of fuits and veggies which contain pesticides I am inadvertently adding pesticides to my plants. I did a quick google search and found that not many people are tackling that question. I will definitely have to look further into that.

This is what I love about being here - all the crazy questions and worries that I wouldn't be thinking of otherwise!

:rofl:

Snap, I hadn´t seen that till now!
I have so much to learn from you guys, so many questions to ask. I´m glad I found your thread.
This is awesome Closedcircuit, I will hang around and ask a lot if you don't mind!

Oi...all my worms in my worm bin have died. I think the container got rained on while I was gone, which wiped out alot of my critters. That combined with the heat we've been getting wiped them out. But I can't keep them inside...the fruit flies and soldier flies buzzing around my apartment was getting too much. I need to figure out what I am going to do in the future to keep them alive.

I was checking out ways to stop flies.
1. freeze the food waist first which will kill bug eggs.
2. cover food waist with dirt and then shredded cardboard or paper to keep flies off
3. apple vinegar and soap traps

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom