The MedicineMen's Deep Water Culture - Jack 47/Purple Pineberry/Afghan Kush Ryder

Re: The MedicineMen's Deep Water Culture ~ Jack 47/Purple Pineberry/Afghan Kush Ryder

Hey everybody! Back one last time before the big flush in the flowering room. I Couldn't snag pictures of those plants, but I did get some of the veg box.

A quick reminder before I post the pictures. 10 days after the flush is when the plants come down for harvest, and I still think I'm going to try to get a small video of the trim and finished product. :thumb:

Now, onto the smaller plants...

2011-01-28_23_45_55.jpg

Here in about a week's time, these two are going to have clones taken from them.

2011-01-28_23_42_12.jpg

2011-01-28_23_42_34.jpg

2011-01-28_23_47_05.jpg

The grand purple pineberry. There's so many clone sites...:Rasta:

2011-01-28_23_42_57.jpg

2011-01-28_23_47_26.jpg

The Jack47. It cured up wonderfully, didn't it?

Originally I was going to take 5 clones from the Jack47 and 2 from the Purple Pineberry while using the Afghan Kush Ryder seed as the eighth plant...but after seeing how the Purple Pineberry is growing I think I just might donate the Jack clones and do a full garden of P.Pineberry and the one Afghan seed.

Anyways, that's about it for now. There will definitely be more after the flush and cloning, so keep watching for the next update.

Re: The MedicineMen's Deep Water Culture ~ Jack 47/Purple Pineberry/Afghan Kush Ryder

Hey Everyone! Medicinemen here again with a double post on the flowering room. :thumb: I got in there today and started trimming up the bottom fan leaves that really held no purpose other than taking the fresh water I put in today, meaning we're officially Flushing the plants.

Before the hedging the room looked like this:
2011-01-29_16_22_25.jpg
2011-01-29_16_26_21.jpg

And here's the "after" pictures.
2011-01-29_17_05_37.jpg
2011-01-29_17_06_00.jpg

And after the hedging. :yummy:

While I was going at it I remember my microscope I had found. So I trimmed off a few leaves near the buds with good trichromes and tried to get some pictures of those.

From this area:
2011-01-29_16_24_58.jpg

We have these clustery fellas...
2011-01-29_14_35_45.jpg
2011-01-29_14_43_18.jpg

And this spot:
2011-01-29_17_04_38.jpg

Was nice enough to give me these great picture:
2011-01-29_14_48_08.jpg

2011-01-29_14_52_13.jpg

Lookit all the little cloudy guys! Maybe I shouldn't have taken these pics before I could smoke the buds, because now the wait is even harder.:tokin: That's alright though...the longer you wait for something the better it is.

I think that's about it for now then. The veg box wasn't doing anything news worthy at the moment so it kinda got left out of this update, but that's more than alright because come next time I can guarantee there will be something eye catching. :morenutes: So keep watching, I'm feeling a ninja update around the corner.

Looking very nice MM. Are you able to take a picture of the scope you use to take those pictures, please? I've been trying to figure out how to take pictures like that and I have no idea. Girls looking beautiful by the way. :goodjob:

Thanks, Hemp! I was more than happy to take a photo of the microscope I used for you.
2011-01-30_22_22_09.jpg

It's a simple little $10 microscope you could pick up probably at any Radioshack.
All I did was stick my phone on the top lens and click away. :thumb: Seems to work well enough! Let me know how it works out for you.

About the plants...

Changed the water today, and while I did that I took another picture of the Purple Pineberry's root system. Always good for comparison.

2011-01-30_21_47_25.jpg

Getting pretty hectic, no? :cool:

A few more pictures for size comparison. Little fun fact; I count about 10 clones sites on this pretty lady.
2011-01-30_21_57_57.jpg

2011-01-30_21_57_14.jpg

About the Jack47 however...My donation deal fell through, and after setting up for all Purple Pineberry I no longer have a need for any Jack clones... I don't know what to do with it!

2011-01-30_21_58_12.jpg

2011-01-30_21_57_23.jpg

To use anymore nutrients on it seems wasteful considering it probably won't even be around for another week...but at the same time I really don't wanna just throw it out. Oh well though, that's just how shit happens. :slide:

Anyways, I think that's about it for now. Remember, the plants in the flowering room come down in 8 days!!! So keep watching because the big day keeps on rolling closer.:yummy:

DWC and home made water farms with air stones in the bottom are probably the cheapest and easiest way for someone to get into hydroponics without it being too intimidating. Hell, you don't even need the drip ring if you don't want to but I find it helps a lot. I change my reservoirs in my 5 gallon DWC every sunday morning and this last time around I opened up the lid to the netpot of this massive METAL HAZE plant I am flowering under a 1000 watt HPS and in 7 days it had consumed every bit of water and nutrient solution in the reservoir. Approximately 3 gallons of nutes. All that was left was maybe a few inches of water at the bottom. I know the water did not leak out through the drip collar because this particular plant does not have a drip collar, just a massive root ball that is absolutely huge. I filled it up with 3.5 gallons of nutrient solution and will be checking up on it from time to time between water changes but that was insane. DWC is a great way to grow because with soil the plant might not be able to get all the nutes it wants, but with DWC, the plant has to expend very little energy in order to get nutrients and so it can focus on producing flowers more than searching out and processing nutrients.

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the comments and views! :cheer: Sorry for the small disappearance, just had a bit of work to do, but I'm back now for another update.

@Growing247: Hey, thanks for the info! I've been into hydroponics for quite a while, tried quite a few setups like the ebb and flow...dutch leech trays...and I gotta say that DWC is indeed the cheapest, easiest route with the best results I've found. :)

Actually, on that note...Funny story...I have known for a small second that my light is underpowered for my room, (a 400w HPS in a 5'x5' room.) but it wasn't until yesterday that I did a little research and found out that I should be using 800w instead of what I have now...

A bit of a shocker to me, but honestly it's also great news because the way I see it, I'm pushing out decent buds now, and I'm only using half the light I should be. :cheer: Still though, I've gotta upgrade before the curiosity eats away at me. :dreamy:

Anyways, about the plants, I had to take the Jack47 out of the flowering room. I couldn't find another person to donate it too, and I've already made up my mind about the purple pineberry, so i had to do her the way of Ol' Yeller. :( Oh well...guess the P.Berry is just gonna have to be alone for now.

2011-02-02_18_17_47.jpg
All alone...

Good news about the purple pineberry though, She's doing something I've never seen another plant do before. The crazy lady has decided to start growing sets of 3 stalks rather than the usual two, if that makes sense. Look.

2011-02-02_18_44_31.jpg

2011-02-02_18_07_13.jpg

I dunno if you guys can see what I'm talking about, but it's hard to get the right angle. Either way, I'm wondering right now if she'll keep this up after I take clones. ;) Seems like it'd produce more bud to me but that just might be wishful thinking.

Lastly, The flowering room is merely 5 days away from harvest! Such a small time, but I'll be damned if it's not just dragging by. My buds keep getting heavier and heavier as well, and is actually making more plants lean. It's o.k though, we're this close so I think I'm just going to let them be themselves. Check out the pics. :grinjoint:

2011-02-02_18_57_56.jpg

2011-02-02_18_59_07.jpg

2011-02-02_18_57_11.jpg

Just a few pictures of the more significant buds. I'm still looking for amber trichromes every now and then, but I can't see much with my naked eye and really don't wanna clip more leaves off on a whim. The wait is killing me though, and I just may take a wee little bit early just to try. ;)

Anyways, That's about it for now. Remember to stay on the watch because there's not much longer now until we pull these bad ladies down and put the little ones in. I hope everything keeps going smooth. :wood:

They're looking nice and tasty.

Your plant that is growing 3 sets of leaves at each node is actually called a trifoliate. Some grow out of it, some stay like that their whole life. It's a genetic mutation if you will. There are a few growers on this site that are growing trifoliates. :high-five:

Your plants look amazing. I cannot believe all this was done with a 400 watt. If you were to add another light your yields (as well as your power bill) will go up. I was growing 6 plants (the legal limit for full size plants in legal medical grows in ORegon per patient). I think it is stupid to limit the number of plants a patient can grow to such a low number but that is another story. I was trying to grow 6 plants under 1 thousand watt light and it just wasn't working. The plants were way too crowded and so I did what I had to do and bought a cheapo Budget Grow ballast, a Yield Master II air cooled reflector (one of the cheapest air cooled reflectors I could find) and a Hortilux EYE 1000 watt. I put it in line and now have my plants in a serpentine pattern 2 by 2. When I compare the Sun Master with the EYE they are much different. The Sun Master looks orange while the EYE has a lot more blue in it. I'm expecting good things from this EYE. Only problem is these two ballasts are sucking a lot of power, along with all kinds of power for the dehumidifier, fans, and pumps. All this is being run off a 20 amp breaker. So basically I'm going to need to have an electrician brought in and rewire it to a 50 amp. The breaker has tripped every day once or twice and its really pissing me off and making me wonder if it is dangerous.

Wow, fast replies. :high-five: Thanks guys, it means alot

I appreciate the info, Hemp! I'm definitely going to have to check out a few of those grows with the trifoliates...I'm curious to see how the bud on those turns out, and also if that continues on after cloning.

I agree with you there, growing. 6 plants is waaaay to little of a limit, especially considering (I dunno about you here) I got about 6 ounces from my last grow of 4 plants; 2 jack47, 2 strawberry cough. If you smoke anything like me, that isn't very much. :tokin:

About your room, I have a couple questions. Lately I've been thinking about upgrading to a 1000 watt light, and I've been concerned about temperature changing too much. I use my 400w in my flowering room, a 5x5x7. Do you think if I move the lighting up to 1000w in there it will fluctuate too much? I'm not too worried about winter temps, but in the summer even with the 400w I was riding about 78-82 degrees, so I think the 1000w might end up raising the temperature too much...Maybe I can get your room details so I can compare? :Namaste:

Ah, before I forget, your electricity deal. You're really dealing with some dangerous stuff. I definitely recommend bringing in someone to fix that up for you ASAP. I think we went a little bit too cautious, because right now I don't even have the money for the light but i'm already considering adding another breaker into the panel box just so I don't burn my shit down. XD

I agree about the electrical situation. You should either put one of the lights on another breaker or upgrade to 40 amps. I would just add another breaker myself. :popcorn:

Hey everybody! Just TWO days before the harvest, so I figured I'd pop in real quick with a small update to let you guys know whats going on before anything serious happens. :hookah:

First things first however, I want to show you guys an updated picture of the Purple Pineberry's root system. I think it's back on the first page, but somewhere around here is a picture of the rootball a few weeks after 'bucketing' the Pineberry...and the change in size is tremendous. It's easily drinking through 1.5 gallons of half strength nutrient water a day.

2011-02-06_00_07_06.jpg

And I mean this is just doing wonders for the plant itself. At 35 days old and about 17" tall;

I can count about 10 clones spots...
2011-02-06_00_10_32.jpg
2011-02-06_00_11_33.jpg

I see trifoliage...
2011-02-05_23_54_19.jpg

and I can see a few leaves that have thirteen blades to them...
2011-02-06_00_11_09.jpg

...which I hear is uncommon among the plants. Needless to say I'm more than satisfied with this Purple strain so far.

Anyways, that's about all the news I have for now, and considering we're this close I want to keep it short so I have more good stuff for the video. :cool: Anyways, check back on 2-08-11 for the harvest!

I love growing in DWC 5 gallon buckets because the root balls get so huge. I know exactly what you mean about the plants absorbing a lot of water during flowering. I change my nutrients once per week and today I went to change the nutes in a haze plant I have flowering and it had absorbed 3 gallons of nutrient solution. There was still a tiny bit of water at the bottom but that cannot be good for the plant. Think from now on I will check the reservoir periodically. Unlike most hydro growers I rarely check my PH or EC or PPM. My well water has almost perfect PH and I also collect rain water and use that from time to time. I have never had a problem with any of my hydro plants experiencing nutrient issues. I always follow the same routine and feeding schedule and begin flushing around week 6 or 7. You can tell when the plants are healthy when they don't yellow a whole lot while they're flowering until the very end. Least, that's been my experience. My first hydro grow was Purple Urkle and I got a huge yield of pure purple stinky grape tasting purps. Too bad I've almost smoked all of it, but it tastes good, has really dense buds and has a lot of Sativa and Indica qualities. The yields are not super unless you really train the plant hard and give it a lot of light though. Sorry to go off on a tangent but that grow really turned my coat to hydroponics.

Back again with a ninja post before the big day.

@Growing247: It's funny you say that you don't adjust PH or anything like that. Truth be told, neither do I. I went smart and got nutrients that basically adjusts itself. When I add it to tap water it puts it right at about 6.0ph. We do weekly water changes and really that's about the most work I seem to need to put into my plants, other than the occasional adding of boost during flowering. :cool:

Onto the plants, I decided I should take clones today, and then I did. :smokin: I'd honestly been thinking about doing it for a minute now, just wanted to wait until we got a little closer to harvest. I JUST took these little ladies, so they look healthy now...but in all truth the next 48 hours is gonna be alot of hoping and finger crossing.

2011-02-06_23_14_08.jpg

2011-02-06_23_13_51.jpg

2011-02-06_23_13_43.jpg

I also grabbed a few pictures of what was left of the mother. She's looking...healthy. ;) Really though, I grabbed the pictures so you all could see right about where the trifoliage had started, and the pattern it went in.

2011-02-06_23_04_09.jpg

The trifoliage started right around the fifth node up from the bottom, and from there...

2011-02-06_23_05_23.jpg

2011-02-06_23_02_35.jpg

Kept continuing on in a pattern just like this. I still don't know too much about this whole thing and whether it means anything or not, but I just like how unique and healthy it made the mother look.

Speaking of healthy looking things, I had to take a few more pictures of some bud as a teaser for tomorrow. ;) This is just a smaller branch that made it's way towards the top, so it's not terribly large, but i've already come to the conclusion that I need more power in my room so this is hopefully the last 'sidebud' I see for long time coming. (untill I expand and need more light, that is :slide:)

2011-02-06_11_05_47.jpg

2011-02-06_11_07_23.jpg

I'm really looking forward to putting some fire to this thing, but more than that is the fact that all those trichromes are gonna make for some mighty fine hash.

Now before everyone goes thinking that the end of the journal is right around the corner, be aware that we're at the furthest point from it, because from here on out we're focusing completely on the purple pineberry, from start to finish, and maybe a little further than that.

So just stay posted like you always do, because you're not gonna want to miss what tomorrow's gonna bring.

Hi MedicineMen

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom