The Mega Crop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly concerned here.

Went and mixed up MC at a 2g/gal ratio for my 45gal RDWC.

What has me concerned is the ppm of that mixture.

Base PPM (700 scale): 340
Base pH: 8.4
Resulting PPM: 970-980 (it fluctuates between)
Resulting pH: 7.4

Full mix:

- 90ml silica (Protekt, at 2ml/gal, NPK of 0-0-3)
- 90ml CalMag (Gen Hydro, at 2ml/gal, NPK 1-0-0)
- 90g Mega Crop (current formula, 2g/gal)

So far I've added 90ml of pH down.

Now, where my concern lies is the ppm is a bit higher than expected. About 100 points. Maybe that makes a difference, maybe not. I am aware that GLN says to not be concerned with the PPM, and I did correctly weigh everything up. That being the case, I expected the PPM to be about 880-890, not 100 higher, as the nutes (all combined) should have raised added about 540-550 PPM on top of my 340 base.

Maybe it's nothing, but seems like it would fry a baby plant at that high of a dose.

The calculator on the GLN site says 2g/gal, so maybe not. It didn't fry up my promix kiddos 6 weeks ago, so maybe this is all for not. However I would hate to drop babies into the RDWC and burn them up, too.

So before I add another round of pH down, I thought I would see if I could get an opinion. If need be I can take a little out and replace with fresh water.

100 points is not too bad in salt based nutes. in MC it is even less of a problem.
depends on the stage. would need to see the plants.

We have a website . Link to it below in our sig. We do not want to hijack this thread though. If you have any questions, please DM us or tag us.

jump in anytime and contribute often. you are growing with MC after all.

I'm slightly concerned here.

Went and mixed up MC at a 2g/gal ratio for my 45gal RDWC.

What has me concerned is the ppm of that mixture.

Base PPM (700 scale): 340
Base pH: 8.4
Resulting PPM: 970-980 (it fluctuates between)
Resulting pH: 7.4

Full mix:

- 90ml silica (Protekt, at 2ml/gal, NPK of 0-0-3)
- 90ml CalMag (Gen Hydro, at 2ml/gal, NPK 1-0-0)
- 90g Mega Crop (current formula, 2g/gal)

So far I've added 90ml of pH down.

Now, where my concern lies is the ppm is a bit higher than expected. About 100 points. Maybe that makes a difference, maybe not. I am aware that GLN says to not be concerned with the PPM, and I did correctly weigh everything up. That being the case, I expected the PPM to be about 880-890, not 100 higher, as the nutes (all combined) should have raised added about 540-550 PPM on top of my 340 base.

Maybe it's nothing, but seems like it would fry a baby plant at that high of a dose.

The calculator on the GLN site says 2g/gal, so maybe not. It didn't fry up my promix kiddos 6 weeks ago, so maybe this is all for not. However I would hate to drop babies into the RDWC and burn them up, too.

So before I add another round of pH down, I thought I would see if I could get an opinion. If need be I can take a little out and replace with fresh water.

For the most part, it's not the total ppm that frys plants, it's the ppm that is derived from N. In that respect, your Nitrogen load should be fine for plants in the week to two week old range.

For the most part, it's not the total ppm that frys plants, it's the ppm that is derived from N. In that respect, your Nitrogen load should be fine for plants in the week to two week old range.

:thumb:

Thanks! It's go time on the new setup (freakin finally!) and I'm sweating bullets like a mofo. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Babies are early-mid week 1.

It's go time on the new setup (freakin finally!) and I'm sweating bullets like a mofo.

Babies are early-mid week 1.

you got this multi. gonna be cake.

we are always here. just don't starve them up by accident like i did lol.
post up progress soon.

you got this multi. gonna be cake.

we are always here. just don't starve them up by accident like i did lol.
post up progress soon.

@farside05 is right. Not to mention the babies in the other tent were sprouting in 1g/gal, and drinking 2g/gal when they were a few days old and moving up into their new place. Just a little freaky to see a high ppm like that, but it's worked out so far. Hopefully it wasn't just dumb luck. :laughtwo:

Has anyone had issue with MC and getting your pH down to acceptable levels?

Seems like I've had a hell of a time getting mine down, and just curious if my water is just that terrible (even at only 340ppm) or if maybe MC is influencing it. Like taking 5.25ml/gal to get it down to 5.7 terrible. (Which is about 6oz +/-, just sayin.)

I'm thinking it's not, and the source water is just that heavy. It's initial pH is 8.4, but even then I can't see it really taking that much down. Half that, alright then. Not 6 freakin oz though.

However, I want to cover all my bases. I have a new RO unit, so that part is now being covered.

Seems like I've had a hell of a time getting mine down, and just curious if my water is just that terrible (even at only 340ppm) or if maybe MC is influencing it. Like taking 5.25ml/gal to get it down to 5.7 terrible. (Which is about 6oz +/-, just sayin.)

I'm thinking it's not, and the source water is just that heavy. It's initial pH is 8.4, but even then I can't see it really taking that much down. Half that, alright then. Not 6 freakin oz though.

However, I want to cover all my bases. I have a new RO unit, so that part is now being covered.

I need to use pH up. With straight Mega Crop at 6.5gm/gal it takes 8-10 drops for 18l (4.75gal).

What would y'all think is causing this discoloration? I've been on MC for about 3.5 weeks now, full strength for less than 3. I'm close to six weeks of flower. Are they just getting to that age where I should expect this? It's only happening on my white widow. GirlScoutCookies has no discoloration (indeed could probably up the dosage on her more even), and skunk has needed to be reduced due to clawing. I'm using a full scoop (to the top) in 4 gallons as my "full strength" measurement. It's also only happening like this on 2 colas, so maybe it has to do with the lighting?
IMAG1396.jpg
IMAG1395.jpg
IMAG1394.jpg

A full scoop of MC weighs 30g, so you're feeding at 7.5g per gallon
Are you using RO water?-if so you may need a smidgen of cal-mag in the mix.

I tried with my city water of almost 400 ppm and the 8.3-8.4 ph fought the hell out of the ph ! I loaded it down with ph down to get 5.8 and the next day you didn’t know which way it would go ! Back to ro water !

I PH up from 5.8 after 6mg-gl.

340ppm tap is on the chewy side. The higher alkalinity your water, the more pH down it takes to move it. I don't do hydro, but I've noticed Mega likes to revert to 6.5ish on its own.

I use spring, well water it runs 7.8 ph. I drop about 25 drops of ph down to get 6.7 ph. Watering 6-1/8 tea to gal of Mega Crop and 5ml Pro-Tekt today. I'm basely following @farside05 recipe. @farside05 I hope you don't mine.

That's six 1/8th teaspoons aka 3/4 tsp correct (approx 6mg)? Must be full growth or full bloom then. If you throw 5ml of Cal-Mag in the mix you'll probably notice the pH drop too without having to use as much or any pH down. The way I look at it, at least the plants can benefit from the extra calcium and magnesium rather than what's in some of the pH down products. And no, I don't mind at all. I post it to share what I've had success with. If I wanted to keep it a secret, I wouldn't post it. The goal isn't some kind of contest win, it's helping others avoid some of the pitfalls I've made in the past.

PS - I do dose by volume because its quicker, but for 6mg I'll use a 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp measuring spoon to get my 3/4. IMO the bigger spoon gets a bit more of an even product mix, considering the prills (aka balls).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom