The Misadventures of Bombodil's RDWC SOG Unknown Bagseed Brickweed

Yesterday the usps tracking for my attitude shipment updated to "processed through usps sort facility" in bethpage. So although I likely wont receive until late next week (my this friday prediction turned out to be too optimistic), I'm super stoked to be getting awesome genetics!

I finally culled the two known males. No sense in keeping them around, took my plant total from 12 to 10. I chopped up those two boys so that no part of the plant, neither leaf nor stem, is recognizable as mj and mixed that up along with the potting soil into my garden compost pile. Felt like a serial killer, disposing of the evidence. But it seemed better than throwing that shit on a bonfire, most of my neighbors are 100+ yards away but I was thinking the smell of burning mj, even males, is not a smoke I want hovering over this little tranquil valley.

Last week I repotted 8 of the girls (hopefully) into new pots. I took an unusual approach due to $ constraints, used these 6L/1.5g totes, they are relatively shallow but the roots will have tons of room to expand horizontally. Someone on another thread suggested that shallow wide pota would encourage the superstructure of the plant to also grow low and wide.... Not sure if I buy into that idea, but once again with awesome seeds on the way I feel quite liberated to try different things with this experimental bagseed run.

I have identified at least 2 girls! Pretty little white pistils coming out of the growth nodes!

So yesterday I visited the habitat for humanity store, it's an awesome place to find random building materials for super cheap! After walking through the whole place and not seeing anything I needed, on the way out I saw on a table by the door a neat undercabinet lighting fixture, 2 x f21t5 bulbs on a hinged arm that allows you to rotate the bar in any direction. Guy saw me looking at it, I asked if it was sold and he said it just came in. I asked how much and he said, put a dollar on the jar and take it, merry christmas. Score! ! I got it home a wired it to a plug, no joy. I'm going to pick up new t5 bulbs today to see if the bulbs are shot, seems more likely that the ballast being shot. If i do end up having to replace the ballast, i think I'll get an HO t5 ballast to kick thay sucker up a notch. Plan to use this fixture (assuming i get it to work) for veg/clone.

Attitude came in on Christmas Eve... Happy Holidays to all the folks out there in :420: land! ! !

Western Winds
Malawi Gold
Holy Smokes freebs Mulanje Gold and Mozambique Poison
Other freebs CH9, Gigabud, Cum Laude, Delta9 Sativa Mix, Critical Hogg, Jack Diesel, and some others:rocker:

Got the G13 gasmask tshirt, pretty kewl! Although with a pot leaf and "premium seeds" in big letters, not the best approach to grow.security.

Everything was well packaged. Took 15 days from the date of the order to show up at the door, in the height of christmas shipping season. All in all, extremely happy with Attitude, i can see how all you guys have been getting magic beanstalk beans for years!

We have always had great luck w/attitude. Currently waiting on some beans that were dispatched about a week ago. Hoping they are still on there way and didnt get intercepted. 230 dollar order and I didnt have enough funds to insure it.Now that Im thinking about it I should have gotten less amount and better guarantee. Cant wait for spring and the HUGE trees I plan to grow out on the back 40. Bay11 is something I have wanted to grow for a while. Also getting Ken's GDP and 818Headband which is from where I grew up in the 80's

Hay everyone, happy new year! It has been a while since an update, i have been trying to get the flower chamber built out so i've been focused on thay due to the 10 ladies patiently waiting in the dark. The girls have been in the dark since Sunday 12/30, so assuming i finish this morning they will have had nearly 72 hours in the dark. I never put much stock into the "period of darkness before flower" technique, i didnt actually plan it this way, it's just that i'm in the midst of construction during a crop. So it looks like old tom's girls will be getting the Full Dark treatment, out of necessity. I wouldnt be so nonchalant about it if these were good seeds from Attitude, but they are bagseed and i have hundreds more of the same so the risk is low.

I used 1/2" rigid foam board with the foil backing for the walls of thee flower room. Kinda get structural, insulation, and reflective material all in one, for around $5 usd each (it may be a little more or less, can't remember exactly). LESSON LEARNED: use the Plastic Capped Roofing Nails to tack this puppy up, to the studs, regular nails tend to pull right through the foam. I could have used liquid nails to attach it more easily, but i wanted to leave room to pull it off and rearrange later, so the nails will make for a cleaner demolition. The hardest part has been designing the ventalation, i still dont have an inline fan so right now i will be using a 20w radio shack axial fan, 120vAC, mounted in a baffled box mounted to the ceiling and venting out near the top. What a pain! It will be MUCH simpler to just run a short duct once i get my inline fan, so this design is with an eye for removing the cheesy bafflebox at a date in the near future.

After that, the only thing remaining is to rig up a door. Normally i would take more time to thoughtfully design each component for permanent use, with ability to expand and modify, but right now i'm kinda rushing to get this room leakproofed and ventilated because these girla need light again, and soon! It's been said a million times here on 420mag that it's SO much easier to build when you DONT have a crop , going, and i second thay very strongly! But i knew what i was getting into when i decided a few weeks ago to flower these bagseed babes instead of tossing them aside.

Peace in 2013, may this be the year MJ Prohibition crashes and burns! In the words of Mr. Dylan "I hope that you die, and your death will come soon. I'll follow your casket on a pale afternoon. I'll watch as you're lowered down to you death bed. And I'll stand over your grave till I'm sure that you're dead."

It is done, and the girls are in flower under the 400w HPS. Day 1! ! !

Ten days since last update. I think that i was so tired after my new years day marathon to finish the flower room, it was all i could do to put the girls in, check for light leaks, make a one liner post, and crash out! Had to resume my normal work routine after holidays were over.

Now i can take a little more time to describe the flower chamber. Its built in the back corner of the bedroom, 2x4 studs and foil-foam board walls, basically a closet without the drywall. It measures 2.5ft x 5 ft x 8ft tall. Would have liked to do at least a full 3x5, but the layout of the bedroom would have made it awkward if i chose to expand in the future. Since i didnt have the time or inclination to build and hang real doors with hinges, i just made the whole front wall removable by building a 6ft x 5ft frame for the foamboard out of 1x2s. I used great stuff expanding foam insulation to seal everything. I get a little light leak through the passive intake (foam board baffles on one wall) and the exhaust (16"x14"x10" box with baffles inside). Those just need a couple more baffles. The pain is that i have some very minor light leaks around the door. Made me realize that, in order to achieve a truly light proof room, im going to have to actually drywall it in. But for now, its all good because its in a lightproofed room. I will just have to resolve that issue before i can begin mothering in the same room.

The girls are great, a couple more definitive females but no additional males (that are recognizable) so far. They have done some modest stretching up till day 10 of flower, but im a little surprised at how immature they still are. I used those shallow containers as a sort of experiment to see if it would minimize the stretch, but its hard to say if thats the reason because they are also not very far along in their sexual development either. Time will tell.

I have some hydro supplies on the way to prepare for my larger light. Main item: 6" 440cfm Hurricane inline fan. Also 4 sets of 6" duct flanges for running ventilation through the light and also the room. Also a new 1k HPS bulb since the one that came with the equipment doesnt seem to work (MH bulb works fine). And, more for long term, a ten-pack of 1" drain fittings! My thinking is, the larger i can make my inter-bucket connections, the more my RDWC will be, to an able to approach UnderCurrent. For instance, if in the future i change from a 250gph submersible pump recirculating TO the pots from the res, to an inline pump sucking water from the pots back to the res, the 1" fittings will be better suited than the 3/4" fittings i have currently.

Also i have not mentioned my nute schedule... I'm currently doing 1/2 strength Ionic Grow mixed with 1/4 strength DynaBloom....i know, lol, dynagro is like the sam's choice of nutes, very ghetto! But its what i had on hand and i havent made any trips to the hydro store since getting the air fittings for the hoods. I like to minimize my trips to the hydro store, there are only a couple in this major metro area being a non-medical state, so it seems like easy pickings for local LEO, if they were having a slow month or whatever. Unlike some places (nor cal) where every other building is a hydro shop and Lowes and HD carry hydro supplies lol! Call me paranoid but i reserve hydro store trips for heavy, difficult-to-ship items like nutes, i shouldnt need to go there more than once per year or so. I found a local (outdoor) garden supply center that sells Happy Frog so thats where I go for soil, and I'm looking for a janitorial supply company that sells ONA. I like to spread the love, see? :circle-of-love:

Thanks northerner! Haven't been keeping up with 420mag this last week or so, trying to catch up now.

I have been doing alot of research, its funny how you can learn about this hobby for years and still not have scratched the surface of all possibilities. Because I've been planning out my electrical use, I've been reading up on electrical threads... Another thing i love about this hobby, its multidisciplinary! :geek: .

Ive only got one 15A 120v circuit in the bedroom. Originally i thought that i had a 20A circuit, but turns out the labels on the circuit panel are incorrect (house is only a few years old, just goes to show you, trust but verify! ). I had also hoped, perhaps a little too optimistically, that the light/ceiling fan was on its own circuit, so that i could pirate that one and create some new outlets from it. No joy, ceiling light and fan are on the same 15A circuitas all the wall outlets in that bedroom. So until i can run a new circuit, a 1000w flower chamber with all associated equipment (inline fan, oscillating fan, water pump, air pump, etc etc) will be about all i can do in that whole room. That'd put it at or just over 12A... I don't even think I should even mother in that room, not if I'm gonna be using another 3-5A for moms and clones. I know some folks here have no problems pulling 15A on a 15A circuit, but i ain't messin around with dat shit. Not just for the obvious security reasons, but im also paranoid about fire.

Here is a question I've been wondering, anyone reading this please tell me: for those of you running high wattage lights (lets say 600w total or higher, I'm looking at 1000w myself): do you use a cheap resistive timer to switch the lights/fans directly, a heavy duty timer, or a relay?

I'm also interested to know brands/models of any heavy duty timers or relays. I've been leaning towards a relay myself, don't have to hard wire it, its expandable, and would mesh nicely with more sophisticated environmental controllers down the road. I've been looking at the CAP power module, anyone got experience with that? I should post this as a poll....

BTW, since the highest wattage I've ever used up to this point has been 400w, I've always used cheap resistive timers , you know the ones that cost $5. Also explains why i didnt even consider the timer/high wattage switching aspect until AFTER i ordered supplies. Oh well, theres always a learning curve.... I just like to stay AHEAD of it, rather than getting 'burned'! :yikes:

That makes me more confident to use the pin timer north. Once again, thanks for your input.

Alot more sex characteristics have become visible in the last several days. This morning at lights off (I run 8P-8A flowering cycle) completed 14 days in bloom. In the last two days I pulled 1 male and 1 hermie. The hermie threw me for a loop, I'll admit that in my inexperience I've never actuallu seen a hermie in the flesh. I was just seeing things in binary I guess, if I saw white pistils I stopped REALLY looking because, hey, it's gotta be a girl, right? Wrong! So this one had a few white hairs but then day before last I notice on bud is FULL OF BALLS! Chix with Dix, UGH! ! So I pulled that one. Counting the male I pulled the day before, my count is at 8. The remaining plants all have MANY white pistils (not just one or two) and are starting to develop real buds. You can bet your meds everyone gets a "balls check" everyday lol!

Fan, bulb and other equipment should be here today, woohoo! If everything goes well, i may be able to change over to the 1k within a week or so once the ventilation is in place.

Not for this grow, but looking forward to my next grow with kickass Sativas, I've been considering doing the first 2-3 weeks of flower using the 1k Metal Halide. I've read various opinions saying that the MH during the early stages of flower can minimize the stretch and/or result in denser initial bud formation. Any thoughts on that, is it bullshit?

You can say that again northerner! :amen:

And the added risk of extra plants with 0 gain. That's one of the reasons i cull right away. I seem to allow myself to exhale ever so slightly every time i cross below the threshold of some minimum sentence lol! :cheer:

Nearly two weeks since an update! Since pulling the hermie a while back, we have been a 100% girls-only establishment.

:hippy:

There is a wide variety of phenotypes among these two bagseed strains. Of course most are long an lanky, with large inter node space. There's one girl with low growing tendencies and compact inter nodes... If i were selecting genetics, this would be a good candidate for a matriarch. Of course the real proof is in the smoke.

These bagseed strains are SLOOOOOOOOW maturing though. Nearly at the end of 4 weeks flower and theyare just now starting to get some crystal formation.

I've noticed every grower on here has a story about walking into their grow room and finding ---- crazy creature in there. Like "last night went to check the girls and there was this CRAZY FUCK GORILLA in there! " The crux of the story is the lingering mystery of "how'd he get IN there, anyway? "

So this morning i checkout my girls just before lights off and there's this carpenter bee hanging ou:confused:t on one of the LST cords. I picked him up with i shop towel (I've heard they dont have stingers, but they definitely bite or sting or something, dont believe me then stick your finger over a carpenter bee hole wben he's in there and see what I'm talking about). Put him outside. But it's just weird ya know, cause I mean, how DID he get IN there? ?

Back
Top Bottom