The Mystery Of The Red Stems

Sinbad91

If you've ever run into red stems in your growth, then you've probably done your fair share of research on the subject. The majority seem to think this is a result of a Phosphorus deficiency and many say it's genetics. There are also a few who have suspected LED Lighting (Spectrum) to be the culprit...

In my opinion, it is in all likelihood all of the above in different circumstances. If it wasn't there would be less speculation and more definitive answers on the matter.

In my case, I am so sure that it's Spectrum induced. Here are the circumstances:

first 5 weeks of Veg I used a 3500K Full Spectrum LED, 2 x 120W in my 1.5x1.5m grow tent. Not a bad light, just a tad weak in my opinion. No problems, grow is perfect albeit a tad slow etc.

At week 5, I swapped out the lights for a 350W LED. Spectrum is 50% 3500K Full Spectrum chips, with the remaining 50% made up of 60% Red and 40% blue.

Lux Levels increased quite a bit, I mounted the light further away to compensate for some of it but overall a big increase in light levels.

I am now in week 6. New light has been in for a week and all of the plants began to show red stems simultaneously (aprox. 5 days after change)

Now for ruling out the options:
1. Phosphorus deficiency: there are some rare signs of drawstrings, but otherwise very healthy. Here's the thing, I have two clones in the same grow room. No nutrients have been given to them, just water. Both of the clones had red stems show up at the exact same time.
2. Genetics. Got these feminised seeds from a mate. He is currently in his last week of flower with the exact same genetics. No red stems at all. Yep, he's using HID lighting.

Red stems are far more pronounced on the plants in the centre of the grow room. the plants in the corner also have some red stems but far fewer and far less pronounced.
Stems are red on the topside of the stem and still green on the bottom side.

Check out the photos. Would love some discussions around what it is about the Lighting that could be causing this? Intensity or Spectrum etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 435
Not sure with your plants but I attribute a little purple in the stems due to growth spurts. I have not run into any major deficiencies in my grows yet "knock on wood" but I have encountered a little purple striping happening on some plants. Mainly my purple kush plants. I don't believe it's the lack in what I am providing but more due to the plants spike in using said nutrients during a growth spurt. It occurs to me that I get a little of this when the plants are doing their best. When growth is in high gear and everything seems right a day or two later there is more purple in the stems at that time.
I believe that if I were to try and counter this from happening I would upset the applecart so to speak. If it aint broke don't fix it. I don't pass this along as a recommendation but I just wanted to share from my personal experiences.

Happy growing! :ganjamon:

It seems more prevalent for me in the Blueberry varieties, and I think that cold nights make it more noticeable. My room drops to 63F at night, and all my plants have red stems. They all seem very healthy and I sure haven't had any production problems because of it.

Can also get it from being too cold. You missed that one lol. I get red stems a lot, when it's not the cold it could be any of the above. I've never been able to pinpoint it. Only thing I'd say it isn't very often is p Def. I keep the res way too balanced for that. Genetics definitely plays a part, I've had a few strains on and only 1 of them had it etc. Dunno tho, I generally just ignore it these days cos It sorts itself after a while anyway.

Could be different things could be nothing. My tell all is leaf damage when things go wrong. To many genetic things out there that may dictate color to the stems.

As long as the plant is growing well it is best not to try and fix things that may not be a problem.

Could be different things could be nothing. My tell all is leaf damage when things go wrong. To many genetic things out there that may dictate color to the stems.

As long as the plant is growing well it is best not to try and fix things that may not be a problem.
Yeah pretty much mate.I get it all the time and never bother

Yes, I believe it to be the LED's. This is my second grow and every plant in my flower closet has red stems as well as my last grow. Initially I was worried about it, but I didn't freak out and I've had no issues. That doesn't mean that it is certainly the light spectrum, but I really can't locate any real problems. I hope to get more information from other led users!

Ive grown 3 completely different strains now, under the same LED lighting and all have had the exact same type of red/purple coloring appear on the the topside of the stem. It's very distinctly on the top toward the lighting and for some plants also on the main stalk which may have had direct light. The first two grows ended up with dark purple fan leaves as well, but awesome buds. I would definitely like to avoid the discoloration if it isn't genetic because I'd imagine a lack of chlorophyll can't be a good thing during flowering. My buds turn out great but I can't help but think they would be putting on more size without purple leaves. Generally the stems changing color preludes this as far as I can tell but there's a chance the leaf coloration on the first two may have been genetic and the stem color a separate thing altogether.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_113753.jpg
    IMG_20191027_113753.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20191005_195857_436.jpg
    IMG_20191005_195857_436.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
If you've ever run into red stems in your growth, then you've probably done your fair share of research on the subject. The majority seem to think this is a result of a Phosphorus deficiency and many say it's genetics. There are also a few who have suspected LED Lighting (Spectrum) to be the culprit...

In my opinion, it is in all likelihood all of the above in different circumstances. If it wasn't there would be less speculation and more definitive answers on the matter.

In my case, I am so sure that it's Spectrum induced. Here are the circumstances:

first 5 weeks of Veg I used a 3500K Full Spectrum LED, 2 x 120W in my 1.5x1.5m grow tent. Not a bad light, just a tad weak in my opinion. No problems, grow is perfect albeit a tad slow etc.

At week 5, I swapped out the lights for a 350W LED. Spectrum is 50% 3500K Full Spectrum chips, with the remaining 50% made up of 60% Red and 40% blue.

Lux Levels increased quite a bit, I mounted the light further away to compensate for some of it but overall a big increase in light levels.

I am now in week 6. New light has been in for a week and all of the plants began to show red stems simultaneously (aprox. 5 days after change)

Now for ruling out the options:
1. Phosphorus deficiency: there are some rare signs of drawstrings, but otherwise very healthy. Here's the thing, I have two clones in the same grow room. No nutrients have been given to them, just water. Both of the clones had red stems show up at the exact same time.
2. Genetics. Got these feminised seeds from a mate. He is currently in his last week of flower with the exact same genetics. No red stems at all. Yep, he's using HID lighting.

Red stems are far more pronounced on the plants in the centre of the grow room. the plants in the corner also have some red stems but far fewer and far less pronounced.
Stems are red on the topside of the stem and still green on the bottom side.

Check out the photos. Would love some discussions around what it is about the Lighting that could be causing this? Intensity or Spectrum etc.
its very well studied... i dont know where but it is,and its from a localized phos deficiency do to increased growth.
people have had purple stems long before led lol

the only time i've noticed a change in stem colour is after seedling stage and i bump up the nutes. but i've only been at it for a year and have never tried any other lighting than led / cobs.

my white widow and blue rhino both acted like this. my critical kush still has green stems even after setting to flower. so strain? lol.

I'm with chris, if they're growing good don't worry. but damn don't we wanna know everything about these plants eh? lol

Back
Top Bottom