The Phylos Bio backlash: The Open Cannabis Project is closing down

Big Sur

As a result of the Phylos Bioscience decision to use submitted samples and testing results to breed and create future hybrids, the Open Cannabis Project is shutting down at the end of May. Yes, they are closing in protest to Phylos misleading them, apparently from the get go. Everyone, including ex Phylos employees and a majority of sample submitters are flabbergasted. Or puking their guts out after finding out what is happening at Phylos.

This pretty much says it all:

I am amused that they (Phylos) claims that they were open about what they intended to do with all the data. As a subscriber I declined several offers of theirs to submit samples or get involved and give feedback on several programs including the most recent one on powdery mildew on Cannabis. They offered me trades for discounts on lab testing. Their testing is too expensive for a small time grower like myself. Though I have a large library of seeds, most of which are old heirlooms and landraces, I never submitted any samples.

I find it rather odd that they have come out to say that they are not really a lab, but a plant breeding company? Their words: "We absolutely used the testing business to incubate the breeding program." While they cannot use submitted dead plant tissue to grow clones and steal genetics outright, they are using the overall results of testing to develop potential breeding stock for future strains. Seemingly they could also use the data and/or test results to file for patents. Then they claim that they are not stealing information or data for profit? They are just 'using it'. And then they wonder why the backlash?

Back
Top Bottom