The Potchimp Chronicles II - Mazar Strains - 1024 and Jack

15 days from seed -

008435.JPG

Seeds : Jack Herer (small seed; regular), Mazar x Skunk (small seed, feminized), 1024 (normal size seed, feminized), and Mazar x White Rhino (normal size seed, feminized).

Soil : Miracle-Gro Seed Starter (in peat pots; will use styrofoam cups in the future to avoid fungus and mold growth on peat pots).

Nutrients : None for the first month (except for what is in the seedling starter mix).

Water : Distilled (Ph 6.0).

Light : (24 hr cycle) 2-23w Sylvania Full Spectrums, 1-50w LED panel.

Some air circulation (8 hrs/day; desk fan).

The JH is a slow grower; not sure if it is the nature of the strain or the small seed size. It may have sunk down into the loamy soil mix too deep and got a late start. The MxS is also a little small, so it seems that seed size is a factor here.

I am going to transfer to a 1-1/2'x3'x4' grow tent (1-150w HPS + 1-200w Feliz) using sunshine #4 soilless mix in 3gal grow bags and adding some worm castings and dolomite. I'll go for a short grow cycle in order to fit all 4 into the small area. I'll probably be taking clones from one of the Mazars if I have any luck here. I'm hoping the JH will be a male (for pollen and to make more room in the grow tent). Well, here goes.....

:peace:

Re: The Potchimp Chronicles II : Mazar strains, 1024, and Jack

From top to bottom, left to right : Skunk x Ruderalis (regular seed), TNT Kush (feminized), Skunk #1 (feminized), Mazar x White Rhino (feminized), 1024 (feminized), and Mazar x Skunk (feminized). The Jack Herer (regular seed) is doing badly. I'll set it out in the sun, but I guess you get a stubborn seed once in a while, Could be me, too.
DSCF001713.JPG

The 2 Skunk and the Kush plants were from a previous grow that failed. I set those plants outside also, and recently put them back in the grow box after I saw that they recovered. I am going to keep the Ruderalis x Skunk in my vegetation box throughout its life if it turns out to be a female. I am almost done with building my 2-stage grow closet (I bounced the tent idea; too small I think) and am waiting on my air/temp/odor control unit to arrive (the Skunk #1 plant is already reeking). Wow, 2' x 3' x 5' closet for flowering; it's gonna get pretty crowded..... :wood:

Re: The Potchimp Chronicles II : Mazar strains, 1024, and Jack

47 days from seed:

Light: 200w mogul-based CFL full spectrum; 18/6.

Medium: Sunshine Mix #4.

Nutrients: Fox Farms Grow-Big/Big Bloom (just received 2nd application).

Stage: Vegetative.

003606.JPG

Finally finished with enough of my grow closet to get these things into a light-friendly environment. Going to take a close look at the Ruderalis x Skunk to see if it's showing signs of sex. If it turns out male, I'm going to try to graft a hops plant to the root stock after I cut it down. That should end the myth. I want to see if it grows more or less vigorously, too. Maybe I'll graft one of the female plants onto a hops root stock to check the growth characteristics of it, also. I'll move these under a 250w HPS after they get about a foot tall. I don't expect to do well this first grow on potency or yield (it's more of a learning process this time out), so I'ma play with it.....

:peace:

The Jack Herer died, and the remaining six are two days into flowering and three times the size of the last pic (I am going to wait until I have something worth looking at before I post my next pic). The Ruderalis x Skunk is looking to be a "Rudy", so he'll be going under the grafting blade soon. I've got a Willamette hops I wanted to graft onto it for practice. I flushed all six with Sledgehammer and I will give them all (except Rudy) flowering nutes in a few days.
I figured to keep this PotChimp's Perpetual Pipeful (a.k.a. the continuous garden) I better plant more seeds. Zoinks, I went all out when I started collecting seeds and now I have around sixty different strains :lot-o-toke:. Oh well, why not have fun with it, I say? I picked three : an old school strain (Acapulco Gold; not the original), a new school strain (Jack Herer again; I'm stubborn), and a medical (Jack La Mota; I'm still stubborn). I'm not sure what I'll do next time. Maybe two opposite sides of the world ones (Panama '74 and Mekong High) and a medical (Critical x Jack)? Autoflowering (Auto Big Bang, Deimos Auto, Diesel Auto, Fruit Auto)? Fruit salad (Raspberry Cough, Super Lemon Haze, Tangerine Dream, Pineapple Express)? Sugar munchies (Sweet Tooth, Vanilla Kush, Chocolope)? Two same region (Panama '74 and Columbian Gold, or Wild Thailand and Mekong High) and a medical (Northern Lights x Big Bud or Critical +)? Two small (Afghan Kush Ryder Auto, White Dwarf Auto) and a normal size auto (Haze Auto)? All Hazes? Indicas? Sativas? Widows? Cheeses? Diesels? Kush? Purps? Blues? I'm like a kid in a candy store here.....

Cool ass grow you got kill flavors, you can grow your plants 2.5 to 3 under that 200w Cfl I do, its perfect for autos to. With Mazar and white rhino your gonna get good stuff your Jack is going to take forever. Spider mites love these strains keep them sprayed.:roorrip:

I've got SNS 244 for mold, but I'll have to get an organic from that same company for spider mites if they sell it. Thanks for the warning. I only have about 1-1/2' of height under the 200w CFL to work with (I'll FIM them the best that I can, and maybe SCROG the 250w HPS chamber I put them in to flower since it has more like 3-1/2' height). Yeah, with the small square area I have to work with (2'x 3') I won't yield much every two months. Not even a self supply. Not the way I burn..... ;)

Well the Jack La Mota, Jack Herer, and Acapulco Gold seedlings all came up and are about 1/2" tall. I threw a fem Auto Big Bang in a 3 gallon grow bag w/Sunshine Mix #4 a few days after I started those three seeds (to keep in the vegetative chamber for flowering while the other three are in the flowering chamber doing the same); it should be up soon. I'll take some pics after a few leaves are showing and by then I hopefully should have a little flowering showing on the Skunk#1, TNT Kush, Mazar x Skunk#1, Mazar x White Rhino, and the 1024. Going to add Cha-Ching to the Fox Farms flowering nutrients schedule starting the next :morenutes:. The seedlings are on their own for a month, then :morenutes:
Oh by the way, the root graft of the Willamette Hops to the Ruderalis x Skunk#1 root stock didn't take. The root stock was too small to do a good whip-and-tongue graft. I'll get one to take eventually, though.....

Had to make me some Potchimp cola cages to keep these plants contained. I know you pros are going to bash me to no end on this one, but I just don't have the room and had to do something. As soon as I make the last one, all five plants should reach full size (unless the cages kill them all) :rip:

DSCF002317.JPG

The canopy filled out enough to remove the support/containment cages I made. It is growing a little off (different strain heights), but looks okay. It falls out the door somewhat when I open it, but all pushes back into the grow space without breaking any of the branches when I close it. I used Uncle Ben's topping technique on the AG and one of the ABB's to try to get 4 main colas on each (I'll do the other ABB when the sixth internode starts to grow out; not sure yet whether or not I'm going to do the same to the JLM and JH). Keeping on Fox Farms nute schedule for vegging (week 3, moving into week 4) and budding (week 12). I am going to expand to an additional 20" x 36" x 62" grow tent for SOG and start 5 Pineapple Express (fem) soon, hoping to alternate between the grow closet and the grow tent to harvest once a month.

:peace: out.....

;)I tried to upload more pics today, but couldn't chimp my way through it. I decided to Uncle Ben the JLM and the 2nd ABB but left the JH alone. I'll keep that one normal until I need to top it for height. Showing slight burn on the leave tips and the outer perimeter of each leaf (chemical burn from too much :morenutes:). I'll go off of the Fox Farms schedule and feed every 5 days instead of twice a week like it says and see if that helps. I better pay close attention to this stuff here because I think I'm going to do an all Sativa grow after this Pineapple Express grouping and I don't want to kill the oversensitive little buggers. Man, patience is key at this point I guess. If I was any younger my patience would be gone and these flowering ones would look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree..... ;)

Pic upload is dead on this end. I gave the vegging plants nutes (week 4 of Fox Farms schedule w/ Open Sesame) and foliar sprayed them with Mega-Gro (diluted kelp extract). I watered the flowering plants again instead of feeding them to curb the chemical burn. The flowering plants look kind of skimpy budwise, but the grow books tells me that is about to change soon. This is week 4 and the Skunk #1 and Mazar x White Rhino have an 8 week flowering period, followed by the TNT Kush and Mazar x Skunk #1 at 9 weeks and the 1024 at 11 weeks. I think I need more light.
I'd like to prune at this point (the lower leaves and buds are skimpy from the weak under-canopy light), but I'm not sure if it will cause the plant to shortly stop flowering and go into healing (need to research more info on that subject), so I'll just pull the dead leaves off and try to figure out what to do with them (I'll probably just put them on the barbeque grill above the charcoal, douse them with charcoal lighter fluid and say goodbye to the incriminating evidence).
I am going to start 5 Pineapple Express (fem) next. I'll Google detailed instructions on gibberelin seed treatment for them and shortly afterwards get them in the seed starter mix. I'm thinking of trying some on "Lucy" in hopes I can get a little pee-pee to shoot out there somewhere and give me some non-extortionately-priced seeds (a little pollen would be nice, too).

I'll try to keep uploading pics.

A yellowed out pic of a 1024 cola,
007495.JPG

..... same with a Skunk #1 cola,
005566.JPG

a top view of the Mazar x Skunk #1 (see the nute burn on the foreground plant?),
008459.JPG

a pic of the whole mess,
004597.JPG

and the next in a continual harvest (top left: Jack Herer, bottom left : Jack La Mota, top middle : Auto Big Bang, bottom middle : Acapulco Gold, right : Auto Big Bang).
001620.JPG

According to the breeders of the seeds, the Skunk #1 is about 5-10 days to harvest, followed by the Mazar x White Rhino at 10 days, the Mazar x Skunk #1 and TNT Kush at 18 days, and the 1024 at 32 days. They are starting to die off a little as they should be at this point. They're nothing to look at; I'll post some pics after I chop and hang them. Poor yield I'm guessing, but I expected as much as an indoor beginner. It has been a productive learning experience. I have a system set up and tweeked now (temps, air circulation, and Rh are in range) and in my particular setup I now know that 1 gallon of soilless mix = 1 month of growth = approximately 1 foot of height. I am having problems (the most obvious being low yield) because I cut the plants short on soilless mix to control growth. They are fighting rootbound at a time in their life when they should be focused on flowering. I believe that this could be part of the reason that the plants got nute burn so easy, too (not enough soil to "dilute" the nutrient solution?). The next grouping of plants is already looking better, but I decided to do each journal separately instead of a long continual one.

The TNT Kush showed the 60% signs of being ready about 1 week before the seed breeders time. I thought at first that it could be a little off and cut it down. It was pretty small and the buds were scrawny, so I decided to let it dry without manicuring and just use it to add to the trim and order some hash bags. When the 1024 showed 60% 3 weeks ahead of time, I decided to take a closer look because I knew something was wrong. Damn, the 1024 hermied on me and seeded out the whole grow! :(
DSCF000631.JPG

One bad side to the ultra-stealth setup I have (behind a wall); no room to take the plants out and inspect closely, so the SOG method leaves a few concealed areas to contend with. That wasn't the problem so much as inexperience. When I put these into flowering and they started showing signs of sex, just because they didn't show signs of being hermie made me think that my worries were over for the most part. Should have done more :reading420magazine: and I would have known all the stress I put on these things would cause the change also, especially at the end when plants are desperate to propagate. I'll smoke on it some anyways. Might just roll it all into one big doob..... :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom