The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

Thank you for your time, Hafta, it is extremely useful to me and I'll be sure to pay it forward. Looking at your provided example plant, in profile view now, and in the final stages of flowering, there is more of a central peak than what I surmised from the previous pics.

I personally am loath to remove large leaf growth below skirt line as I think of them as both batteries and solar panels, but how long each service, collecting, storing then releasing energy, is needed by the plant. I do not know. When they're dropped I guess.

The major concern of course is moisture, but if your soil top or mulch or bucket is dry on top, my intuition that tells me in those cases a strong moving fan directed not solely on plant tops but into that skirt is necc. and effective for this issue. Seem reasonable, even correct?

My UltraViolet OG is stubby and bushy indica 80% and I'm interested to make your shape but this grow have only the Carhook spears to use.

Plants are in DIY SIPs and in close proximity to each other. Ignore the potted plants, that’s just the Mom Squad patrolling down here for a day.
A0A9B099-601E-4380-B8F5-1839D0F39B17.jpeg

29182192-26EF-42EA-80DF-3F2394B73900.jpeg

05B05BE7-BD6A-4D85-BCD1-81567E80FE6F.jpeg
Well, the central peak, mostly in the rear of the cabinet, is due to me being slow to react to the primary branches in the back . Using this technique, your strongest and oldest branches (and the biggest colas) will end up at the perimeter of the plant. This auto was so fast that by the time I tried to train the rear ones, I was out of time. Once the stretch is over I try not to touch them.

I have two fans blowing a spiral pattern at the bottom (into the skirt as you suggested) and middle of the plant. The respiration is so good (2 gallons/day) that I don't allow the humidity to exceed 55%. I have seen no mold or rot issues. I also outfitted the cabinet with two 200 cfm exhaust fans (speed adjustable) so I am changing the air in the cabinet ten times per minute.

I am growing in 100% sterile hydro. The top of the reservoir is dry. Most of the humidity comes from respiration.

Wow, my compliments on the springs. Good ingenuity.

:Namaste:

Wow, my compliments on the springs. Good ingenuity.
Not me, these are from member @Carcass, a true blue grower with a big heart and great patience. Those are his Carhooks(TM lol). Lovely, height adjustable and cheap, cheap, cheap.

Thanks again for your time and assistance, :thumb: yer so cool :cool: Looking forward to your threads. I lived in NL for some time, from BC, Canada. Best regards Hafta, -rd

I wouldn't say the benefits are limited to placement and strengthening. Another is a level canopy and an equal spread of hormones, a lower canopy for those of us with height issues, a faster way to flip to flower than other training methods, etc.

@Hafta 's Constant Stress Training uses weights and constant leaf plucking. The weights make sense to me in that limb strength will be built in multiple planes as opposed a single point as it would be when using ties. He lays it out pretty well in his thread and it is another alternative to accomplish the quad structure.

I find I use mostly the weights but also the occasional (and temporary) tie. Once the limb firms a bit and becomes more set I take the tie off. In my most recent grow I had unequal leads after topping so I weighted only one side down to allow the other to become dominant and catch up to the first. Doing so pulled that one side way over so I tied the trunk to keep it upright during that process and removed it once the shorter side had caught up and I was able to weight that side more equally.

So, it doesn't have to be one method vs. another. Personally I prefer the weights as opposed to having strings or pipe cleaners or stakes all over the place in and on the pot. Makes watering and top dressing easier as I can easily lift the limbs to access the top of the soil.
I agree Azi!
Hafta's training methods are working pretty well for me since I started quadlining. I still need more experience in the trimming area but feel that my 2nd generation flowering will be even better.
I didn't train for stretch, first grow with you bro's aiding me at the helm and my flowering girls are rubbing the walls with a lot of wasted under-growth.
IMG_20220830_145523_resized_20220830_065137701.jpg

I'm happy with it. Way better then my previous grows.

Yet these were done without knowledge of bokashi, frass, worm-castings, rooting innoculators and Azi's organic teas and such. The roots are weak and needed to string them from underneath also ( not seen).

The next gen to be flowered has all the shit going for them.
They are training fairly well. Nice color, nice firmness and managing to keep them more even then the last.
IMG_20220830_185652_resized_20220830_065711425.jpg

Things are looking GROOVY BABY! :slide:

Have a good 1, y'all!
Cheers

I'm happy with it. Way better then my previous grows.

Yet these were done without knowledge of bokashi, frass, worm-castings, rooting innoculators and Azi's organic teas and such. The roots are weak and needed to string them from underneath also ( not seen).
And just wait until we get you to try a SIP!

Looking good, though. Every grow a little better. :thumb:

I wouldn't say the benefits are limited to placement and strengthening. Another is a level canopy and an equal spread of hormones, a lower canopy for those of us with height issues, a faster way to flip to flower than other training methods, etc.

@Hafta 's Constant Stress Training uses weights and constant leaf plucking. The weights make sense to me in that limb strength will be built in multiple planes as opposed a single point as it would be when using ties. He lays it out pretty well in his thread and it is another alternative to accomplish the quad structure.

I find I use mostly the weights but also the occasional (and temporary) tie. Once the limb firms a bit and becomes more set I take the tie off. In my most recent grow I had unequal leads after topping so I weighted only one side down to allow the other to become dominant and catch up to the first. Doing so pulled that one side way over so I tied the trunk to keep it upright during that process and removed it once the shorter side had caught up and I was able to weight that side more equally.

So, it doesn't have to be one method vs. another. Personally I prefer the weights as opposed to having strings or pipe cleaners or stakes all over the place in and on the pot. Makes watering and top dressing easier as I can easily lift the limbs to access the top of the soil.
So agree Azi! I use temp. tie downs and are a royal pain in the arse when feeding.

This is phase l of my quads and hope that I learned for my second.
My indoor quads were weak and way too many outer shoots wasted the plants energy.
IMG_20220914_1week 8.jpg

My first outdoor quads were planted a little too early to make room and they grew way too much to my liking. Had to frame them and scrog them and thankfully they held up during the last deluge of rain a few days ago.
IMG_20220913_182114_.jpg

By planting them too early, I had to brace the branches with wiring cuz they split at the trunk.
IMG_20220702_wired.jpg

Luckily, they survived the extreme stretch and hope that they can stay upright the next 4-5 weeks.

My next 2 quads will be put into my own DIY, SIP's which @Azimuth swears by.
IMG_20220910_.jpg

I realize after my first quad grow that you really need to trim the outer branches. I just trimmed 2 outer and 1 inner per branch and still not enough but didn't want to over stress them.
IMG_20220915_.jpg

I just LOVE the quad style! Practice makes perfect and thanks all for your input. Loved this thread from yhe get-go.

Cheers!

Been doing the same, Hafta. With pipe cleaners and nuts. The bending IS important. My 2 that are flowering downstairs are rubbing the walls. I did buy some adjustable clips for my present veg. I read that they were worth the extra pesos and looking forward to their arrival.
When you say day 43.... I sat wow. :yahoo:
I need to check out the autos. I have a great photo strain but it takes 10-12 weeks in flower. After seeing your grow, I will weigh my indoor ladies and try some auto next grow. My 6 months versus your 2? I am very curious about your yield on that beauty of a quad, bro.

Cheers!
@scottreid1966
Scott,

After manicure and dry ( nine days, 75 - 80 degrees F, 52 - 60% RH) the harvest weight came in at 287 grams. Since the plant was 24" x 24" ( .371 square meters) it works out to 10.12 ounces or 773 grams per square meter. The two weeks with Boveda to homogenize moisture content has begun (curing).

The photo below shows the final trim (after which it was weighed).

J22 Manicured and dried - 1.JPG

The following photos show the result of constantly stressing the plant to build an oversized root system, only to remove all stress during flower. " FROSTY "

J22 Manicured and Dried - 3.JPG

J22 Manicured and Dried - 4.JPG

These were the nugs closest to the camera, they are all the same. Some of the stickiest I've handled.

@scottreid1966
Scott,

After manicure and dry ( nine days, 75 - 80 degrees F, 52 - 60% RH) the harvest weight came in at 287 grams. Since the plant was 24" x 24" ( .371 square meters) it works out to 10.12 ounces or 773 grams per square meter. The two weeks with Boveda to homogenize moisture content has begun (curing).

The photo below shows the final trim (after which it was weighed).

J22 Manicured and dried - 1.JPG

The following photos show the result of constantly stressing the plant to build an oversized root system, only to remove all stress during flower. " FROSTY "

J22 Manicured and Dried - 3.JPG

J22 Manicured and Dried - 4.JPG

These were the nugs closest to the camera, they are all the same. Some of the stickiest I've handled.
Freaking awesome, Hafta! :thumb:

9 days to dry. Come October, my basement is chilly and a tad humid, though I have dehumidifier. The stems snap after about 5-6 days.
Bought an 8 level hanging net for the first time. Have a bigger-than- thought harvest.
Is the Boveda similar to "grove bags"?

Loved your results, bro! I hope that I learned enough to get close to your results. :thanks:

PS. By trying auto flower, I wold have to kill my perpetual grow at phase lll. :rolleyes:

Cheers and thanks again for the 411!

One of the main benefits of the CST method is that that is no recovery time needed (such as breaking branches). Removing leaves daily makes that type of "wound repair" normal. The plant simply generates a larger root system.

Re-routing branches by overlaying them or temporarily tying them down makes the canopy more uniform and increases bud density, regardless whether you are growing a ten foot diameter plant or one that is 24" square as below. The grow is .371 square meters.

J22D51F30-1.JPG

The overall height can be variable but I'm looking for 10" - 12" colas.

J22D51F30-2.JPG

The "Skirted CST" method also allows for smokable "larf" since the colas extend down to the "skirt". The "skirt" also provides un-interrupted power/nutrient supply after the defoliation of the tops following stretch.

J22D51F30-3.JPG

There are a million ways to grow and every way is open to improvement.

:Namaste:
Wow, that looks good, @Hafta !
I ordered some weights, if I can catch up on everything else I hope to try them in this new grow.

Whoa....

They are my first quads and didn't trimmed them nearly enough. Just try to save a few colas. They are getting quite sticky and will probably be topped next week-end.
Yeah, sorry, that went over my head. I am not sure what the benefit of the coat hanger is. (I must have missed that post.)
How does the coat hanger help you save a few colas? (Sorry for the ignorant question!)

Yeah, sorry, that went over my head. I am not sure what the benefit of the coat hanger is. (I must have missed that post.)
How does the coat hanger help you save a few colas? (Sorry for the ignorant question!)
No such thing as ignorant questions.
They were hanging over and below the edge of the pots and either weren't getting any light or laying over one another. I want every gram that I can get.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom