The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

I had a bit of height limitation with my quad girls, of not wanting them to go above the level of the balcony rails, so I still had to utilize a reasonable amount of LST and supercropping to keep them in check, but otherwise 'as you go' would be great too.
I think for speedier control it has to be quads but for lower height and spreading out in natural light then mainline for me. only my opinion.

just starting to put the pain in them with crunching stems and 90° bends el supercrop stylee for now. ties will come soon enough ( once I figure a good way on these nft lids !)
20200319_120157.jpg
20200319_120151.jpg
20200319_120143.jpg

I'm going to try a variation and figured this crowd has tried it all, so looking for some feedback. I'd like to do a dual line but not sure which node to keep

Thanks for all the feedback, mainline is indeed what I was conjuring up, and ya'll are right, more time and effort required compared to quadline.

About quadline, does anyone top the 4 mains after a couple nodes have grown on each? I would think this would eliminate the need to supercrop or otherwise train those dominant 4. If topped with two nodes on each that would be 16 colas.

Thanks for all the feedback, mainline is indeed what I was conjuring up, and ya'll are right, more time and effort required compared to quadline.

About quadline, does anyone top the 4 mains after a couple nodes have grown on each? I would think this would eliminate the need to supercrop or otherwise train those dominant 4. If topped with two nodes on each that would be 16 colas.
I am sure some would and do top the 4 mains. Most variations have already been tried by others even if they quietly do so without publicity. I think only cutting edge mavericks like @Light Addict are pushing previous boundaries. For me, I only did the single initial topping for my quad girls and later as they grew I applied fairly intensive supercropping and LST which at first I was lazy and grumpy about the work of doing so, but it wasn't such a big deal and once done there was little to do except regular watering, checking for pests etc. I measured my bigger quad girl this morning, her canopy is 4'3" or 130cm across. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go in. :thumb:

a similar thing to mainline v quad really. time to recover is again the inhibitor, topping needs recovery then new growth. Rhe nodes that grow along each quad can be trained in a few beneficial combinations chosen by node growth. Add to this lollipopping or leaving the nodes to grow out and again it becomes a matter of time /preference / available space. This area of growing is always the most active I think. methods get adapted and used , soon to be hailed as " the way" to do it but we find a preference for our own environment in the end. good luck on your choices.

Has anyone seen abbreviations for topping strategies?

For example, some may top the 4 main growth points off a quadline after two secondary nodes have grown out, but the generic name of "quadline" doesn't capture that nuance.

Using numbers comes to mind, like 2,3/1,2 would mean you keep nodes 2 and 3 and then keep the first two nodes that grow from them. But how would you denote if you top them? I think putting an x after the node would tell you that.

2x,3x/1,2 - 16 colas

So this tells me to keep nodes 2 and 3, then top them after nodes 1,2 grow from them.

In contrast a mainline abbreviation would be something like 2x/1,2,3. That means grow out node 2 until three nodes have grown out, then top it.

This works great if you treat each node equally, but what if you grow out two nodes on an earlier node and then one node from a latter node? This may be a faster grow because earlier nodes of course grow first. Using my topping example above keeping nodes 2 and 3:

2x(1,2)/3x(1) - 12 colas

Topping the first nodes 2 and 3 remove some of the work needed to even the canopy, helping to distribute the apical dominance to all other points.

For my soon to be third grow that strat seems to make the most sense to me, for now anyway lol :)

:oops: Confused yet? Lol good breakdown but wouldn’t it just be as simple to say I want 12x tops I’ll top (x) amount of time to acquire this and then LST train for desired shape?

I like to KISS(keep it simple silly) on anything I do! Typically with quadlines you top one and allow the training to expose your additional tops and growth tips

Has anyone seen abbreviations for topping strategies?

For example, some may top the 4 main growth points off a quadline after two secondary nodes have grown out, but the generic name of "quadline" doesn't capture that nuance.

Using numbers comes to mind, like 2,3/1,2 would mean you keep nodes 2 and 3 and then keep the first two nodes that grow from them. But how would you denote if you top them? I think putting an x after the node would tell you that.

2x,3x/1,2 - 16 colas

So this tells me to keep nodes 2 and 3, then top them after nodes 1,2 grow from them.

In contrast a mainline abbreviation would be something like 2x/1,2,3. That means grow out node 2 until three nodes have grown out, then top it.

This works great if you treat each node equally, but what if you grow out two nodes on an earlier node and then one node from a latter node? This may be a faster grow because earlier nodes of course grow first. Using my topping example above keeping nodes 2 and 3:

2x(1,2)/3x(1) - 12 colas

Topping the first nodes 2 and 3 remove some of the work needed to even the canopy, helping to distribute the apical dominance to all other points.

For my soon to be third grow that strat seems to make the most sense to me, for now anyway lol :)
hang on Stephen hawking , you do know we smoke weed !!!!. you lost me at the first one. I turned my phone upside down to see if it spelt a rude word or something !!!!!

wouldn’t it just be as simple to say I want 12x tops I’ll top (x) amount of time to acquire this and then LST train for desired shape?

Not if you are developing a system to test various strategies. Building a language to describe variation is the engine that drive continuous improvement. Just saying you want 12 tops says nothing about which nodes could be more efficient in growing those tops.

Perhaps most personal growers simply try a few things and settle on one way or another, unlike most commercial growers and data driven hobbyists like myself that want all the details they can gather.

As I build this framework of language and techniques, then I can expand into more A/B testing and the REAL fun stuff!:)

Typically with quadlines you top one and allow the training to expose your additional tops and growth tips

Are you saying top one of the two nodes of a quadline or top both nodes once?

No bueno.

Thanks for the um, critique? smh

hang on Stephen hawking , you do know we smoke weed!

Ha, false consensus alert! I know myself and others that have increased cognitive ability from cannabis. Here is an awesome study that shows more connections between brain regions.

Love this summary, "increased influence on the direction and switching of attention "​

I note my own personal improvements of math tables, for example... when high I can halve or double numbers both faster and more times. It's a fun game, try it!

This "stupid stoner" stereotype is on its way out the door, thank goodness, but not fast enough! :)

Not if you are developing a system to test various strategies. Building a language to describe variation is the engine that drive continuous improvement. Just saying you want 12 tops says nothing about which nodes could be more efficient in growing those tops.

Perhaps most personal growers simply try a few things and settle on one way or another, unlike most commercial growers and data driven hobbyists like myself that want all the details they can gather.

As I build this framework of language and techniques, then I can expand into more A/B testing and the REAL fun stuff!:)

Ha, false consensus alert! I know myself and others that have increased cognitive ability from cannabis. Here is an awesome study that shows more connections between brain regions.

Love this summary, "increased influence on the direction and switching of attention "​

I note my own personal improvements of math tables, for example... when high I can halve or double numbers both faster and more times. It's a fun game, try it!

This "stupid stoner" stereotype is on its way out the door, thank goodness, but not fast enough! :)
Many of us remove the shoots that come off the bottom of the stems. In those cases you might have nodes 3 and 4 with both of the first lateral shoots from those nodes and then only the upper shoot from the next pair. Just to throw a kink into things. Lol.
I like the way your thinking though. I talked to Ase a while back about documenting which nodes we ended up removing to see if we could find a pattern over several grows....but my next grow showed me that it’s probably pretty random and the training has a lot to do with the growth of the shoots.

Love quadlining :)

Just started bending em down on the lil ones and took some clones off them.

20200323_180356.jpg

20200323_181419.jpg

For those who are wondering how i did it :

Topped once and left everything alone. Once they were over the stress and grew larger, I took off all the lower branches and turned em into clones. Then training was started with the moms :) :thumb: :blunt: Absolutely cannot wait for my first outdoor adventure which is coming up around the corner for all of us very soon!

Has any one here done a quadline outdoor? How big have they got and have some pics? :)

it’s probably pretty random and the training has a lot to do with the growth of the shoots.

Yah I keep that near the top of likely outcomes. lol

One node pair may be thicker and deemed superior for ONLY the fact that it's tops were closer to the lights and had NOTHING to do with the innate dominance of that specific node position. Add to that the variations from plant to plant.

There is probably a reason that many commercial growers top once and let the plant do it's thing. Labor cost considerations have a way of weeding out techniques that don't show much promise. Canopy height management and cola social distancing (HA!) using nets seem to be the most successful interventions, along with the myriad of other tweaks that go into growing (nutes, lights, etc.)

That still doesn't negate the desire to find measurable and consistent differences, however slight!

but I use my genius for building an underground base !!!!

Has any one here done a quadline outdoor? How big have they got and have some pics? :)
Hey Limpy, my 2 quad girls are growing outdoors, albeit on a balcony and strongly supercropped and LST'ed to keep their height restrained to avoid popping their heads over the balcony rails and flirting with the neighbors.:ciao:

Because we are currently in lockdown and containment mode it has become more tricky for me to spend quality time with the 'girls' on the balcony, as I don't want to look conspicuous in tending them to other family members who still naively think I am growing chilli plants!

I have a Quadlined White Widow (2-WW) growing in a 30L pot and a Quadlined White/Widow/Gorgonzola cross that is growing in a 50L pot. Both pots are home made air pots with Supersoil that has been used on previous grows and re-amended. I measured the bigger girl recently (3-WWG) and she was about 130cm or 4'3" across, and not much more than a couple feet high from the pot rim. I reckon they have somewhere around 3 weeks to get where I want them with 20% - 30% amber trichomes.

I think the safest place you can be is probably online on 420 or tending your plants. Well, that's what I'm telling myself!
All the best everyone, stay safe and well! :hookah:

Stunger, nice work on those plants! You’re right, the safest place to be is home. Both pets and plants must be loving our company all day for a while haha

I can see how much time you’ve put into your plants and they look awesome. You say those plants are in 30l pots? Damn, that’s awesome! they are huge in those pots.... I can see why you want to keep the plant small and used small pots. I betcha if you went with larger pots, you could still keep it short by continuing their horizontal growth. By then your whole porch area would be filled :laughtwo::cheesygrinsmiley:

Now i cant wait for warm weather to come so we can start outside gardens!

I can see how much time you’ve put into your plants and they look awesome. You say those plants are in 30l pots? Damn, that’s awesome! they are huge in those pots.... I can see why you want to keep the plant small and used small pots. I betcha if you went with larger pots, you could still keep it short by continuing their horizontal growth. By then your whole porch area would be filled :laughtwo::cheesygrinsmiley:
My bigger Quad girl is in a 50L pot and the smaller girl in a 30L pot. I think you'd be right with using bigger pots, that indeed, the resulting canopies could be huge. I find the trouble with that is that one has to keep in mind the 'aroma factor' when looking at bigger yields. At this stage I am guessing already I will get a total of at least 15oz - 20oz, that's already quite a lot of bud growing on my balcony with it's own special dank aroma. I'd love to grow more but I think I am close to my sensible limit now. :ganjamon:

How's that monster that you were growing going? It must be beginning to bud nicely? Hope so.

Back
Top Bottom