The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

My first grow I scrog’d. This grow I decided to try quadlining, after reading this thread and seeing some of the journals. Although she’s growing fast and a little deficient, here is one of my plants I quadlined.... I probably should have defoliated about a third of her, from the bottom?

68BF293C-C236-409C-9334-A6091E56DAA2.jpeg
Hey Opar. That’s your first quadline? She’s beautiful. So what do you prefer, the scrog or the quad?
Not if you are developing a system to test various strategies. Building a language to describe variation is the engine that drive continuous improvement. Just saying you want 12 tops says nothing about which nodes could be more efficient in growing those tops.

Perhaps most personal growers simply try a few things and settle on one way or another, unlike most commercial growers and data driven hobbyists like myself that want all the details they can gather.

As I build this framework of language and techniques, then I can expand into more A/B testing and the REAL fun stuff!:)

Are you saying top one of the two nodes of a quadline or top both nodes once?

Thanks for the um, critique? smh

Ha, false consensus alert! I know myself and others that have increased cognitive ability from cannabis. Here is an awesome study that shows more connections between brain regions.

Love this summary, "increased influence on the direction and switching of attention "​

I note my own personal improvements of math tables, for example... when high I can halve or double numbers both faster and more times. It's a fun game, try it!

This "stupid stoner" stereotype is on its way out the door, thank goodness, but not fast enough! :)
The notation system is the tricky bit. You’ve clearly given it a lot of thought.
When I’m spacing out the frame as a plant grows I will strip each first node, then let each second node grow, then top that branch again.
That gives me enough space between each main that I don’t have to worry about light penetration and air circulation in the middle of the plant once she’s in full flower.

Hey Opar. That’s your first quadline? She’s beautiful. So what do you prefer, the scrog or the quad?

Hey Donkeydick! It was my first, haven’t harvested it yet , but love the structure... I will train it better next time and defoliate properly ... but I did get some very impressive colas.... thanks for asking!

And I will remember your pointer re: first nose chop and second node top.

My bigger Quad girl is in a 50L pot and the smaller girl in a 30L pot. I think you'd be right with using bigger pots, that indeed, the resulting canopies could be huge. I find the trouble with that is that one has to keep in mind the 'aroma factor' when looking at bigger yields. At this stage I am guessing already I will get a total of at least 15oz - 20oz, that's already quite a lot of bud growing on my balcony with it's own special dank aroma. I'd love to grow more but I think I am close to my sensible limit now. :ganjamon:

How's that monster that you were growing going? It must be beginning to bud nicely? Hope so.

It's better to play it safe than it is to be sorry later. I'd love to have some plants around the perimeter of the house just for the aroma factor haha! Although my neighbors would frown on me o.0 lol

My monsters.... oh man i'm thrilled with how they are doing. they are coming along and hit the mid bloom fade kind of early i think. So i have to feed em little more stronger and frequently. I should've planted them in bigger pots and i didn't because i thought i could get away with them in 15gal pots. Although they are doing good, just super thirsty and they're missing that fake waxy appearance lol

This is about 3-4 weeks in . (photos pulled from my journal in signature)
vlcsnap-2020-03-23-23h42m55s996.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-24-00h14m04s425.png

vlcsnap-2020-03-24-00h14m24s923.png

I have no idea what to expect for yield on this single plant. hoping for same yield as you're aiming for. :blunt:

My monsters.... oh man i'm thrilled with how they are doing. they are coming along and hit the mid bloom fade kind of early i think. So i have to feed em little more stronger and frequently. I should've planted them in bigger pots and i didn't because i thought i could get away with them in 15gal pots. Although they are doing good, just super thirsty and they're missing that fake waxy appearance lol
I have no idea what to expect for yield on this single plant. hoping for same yield as you're aiming for. :blunt:
They look very impressive but then size often does! It is hard to tell where one ends and another begins but I remember a (long) while ago your big one at that stage was about 6 feet across! At this point just keep them fed and happy, while being careful to avoid screw ups on the home run! They're looking great!

When it comes to estimating, I prefer to be conservative so that way everything in excess is a bonus! I just guessing that each Quad girl will give me half a pound, altho a growing friend thinks each one will give a pound, I don't think so, but anything towards that would be a blast! I hope you get even more.

This is currently a shitty and serious time for everybody now. I can't believe that right at this moment, being at home in containment, that I am sitting on the biggest harvest I've ever had! What a time to have such a sea of buds on the balcony being so close to being picked. Timing eh! :hookah:

I know right? Wish I was productive with a harvest right now during the shutdown. :yummy:

Yeah haha o.0 now there's two in the 11x5 screen with them tucked in a little bit and all three plants are sitting under 4 ft tall. I just realized i'm silly for even measuring because the stakes are 4 ft tall and it's at the bottom of the pots. lol. :bongrip:

20200326_015202.jpg

view of the underneath of same plant
vlcsnap-2020-03-26-02h41m29s018.png

When I’m spacing out the frame as a plant grows I will strip each first node, then let each second node grow, then top that branch again.

Cool, this is the kind of detail I was looking for :) Your method gives 5 colas per the 4 main branches, or 20 tops. When do you top that second node? Do you allow other tops to grow out or do you prune them? What is your typical veg time?

Thanks for any additional details you can provide.

I know right? Wish I was productive with a harvest right now during the shutdown. :yummy:

Yeah haha o.0 now there's two in the 11x5 screen with them tucked in a little bit and all three plants are sitting under 4 ft tall. I just realized i'm silly for even measuring because the stakes are 4 ft tall and it's at the bottom of the pots. lol. :bongrip:
Those plants look full of bud sites, they should grow out really nicely over the coming weeks. Hopefully you can keep them happy during the shutdown. Good stuff! :thumb:

Cool, this is the kind of detail I was looking for :) Your method gives 5 colas per the 4 main branches, or 20 tops. When do you top that second node? Do you allow other tops to grow out or do you prune them? What is your typical veg time?

Thanks for any additional details you can provide.
7921E081-3CEE-449A-9403-D22318F7361A.jpeg

She has a nice symmetry to her canopy, this one.
As far as timing the topping and training, that’s something you have to work out for your own conditions. It’s going to depend on node spacing (which is partly the strain, partly your environment - light intensity) and what your desired outcomes are for canopy height and shape. I have a reasonably pathetic veg light so I typically veg for longer than I want to, but not as long as I should.
This is where our formula starts getting letters instead of numbers. I reckon you’re best to try it for a few rounds and try different ways of recording the variables you want to track.
Good luck!

Veg day 42: The day has come!

Flip will start tonight... Last time I turned the lights off for 60 hours but did not have such obvious pistils starting everywhere. It's almost like an auto?

Top of the plant is 17" max budding tip to budding tip across. She is 11" tall from soil to highest tip. I guess I wasn't really documenting much the past week (distracted like most I'm guessing) - she's grown pretty well perfectly so far (knock on wood) and will look mighty nice 11 weeks from now covered in buds! I count 20 grow tips minimum here, including the 6 mains on the outside. I've been squeezing the branches to increase cambium (but not as extreme as Kyle Kushman) and will continue to through stretch for more strength.

20200319_171910.jpg
20200319_171854.jpg

One week later and what do we have? Flowers! 4 inches of vertical growth too!

20200326_130757.jpg
20200326_130645.jpg

One week later and what do we have? Flowers! 4 inches of vertical growth too!

20200326_130757.jpg
20200326_130645.jpg

Going on 6 days from last update here, this is flower day 11, stretch is slow but consistent. Can accommodate another 9-10 inches I think if I need to raise the lights. They are 18" inches away and GT is 18" tall now. I picked off some small branches and dead leaves that were on the bottom two levels (obviously missed some! ;) )...will take a look again this week for more to remove and push more growth to the tops. Any leaves without tips you can thank my kitty for...she's been banned from the closet now.

20200401_120817.jpg
20200401_120836.jpg
20200401_120847.jpg

Taken a couple days ago. Just got some foxfarm bloom today hoping to finish up with this and be harvesting soon. Anybody know about how much longer I probably have to wait?
Looks good, but I'd be guessing at least a few more weeks.

Them sticks fatten up and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the ending numbers. Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom