The Right Size Pot For Autos

Greenethumb42

This maybe a dumb question but what size pot should I use for auto's..this is my first time growing auto's so I don't know nothing about them just what I have heard..I heard that your sapossed to start them in there final home and not to transplant them...True or False

First, yes its true. Just be careful not to overwater. Easy to do until they get bigger. Lots grow autos in 3 to 3.5 gallon pots. I always go bigger. More room for roots = more results. Myself I wont go under 5 gal. Check out my5 auto growby clicking on my signature below. I just started 6 autos each in a 7 gallon but that may be overkill by most peoples standards..

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I don't do autos, so...
I's germinate in 1 gal and up-pot once to the largest size that fits your situation - up to about 7 gal..

I have my best luck with 3 gallon fabric pots. The 3's are small enough that I can still fit a lot of plants in the tent but big enough that the plant will thrive. Start them in the 3 gallon pots.

I'm only doing 2 auto's..1 will be Vision Seeds Blueberry Bliss and the other one is Female Seeds Northern Lights..so I want to get as much as I can..3 gal just doesn't seem big enough for me..I might try my luck with the 5 gal...or maybe do 1 in a 3 and the other in a 5 and see the diffrence

I would grow it in the biggest pot that my grow area and lights will accommodate, if the answer to those two things is 5 gallon then go 5 if you can get away with 7 and have the space and light, go 7. if yield is a big concern then by all means go as big as you can.

I wonder how an auto would do in a 200 gallon pot?

I would grow it in the biggest pot that my grow area and lights will accommodate, if the answer to those two things is 5 gallon then go 5 if you can get away with 7 and have the space and light, go 7. if yield is a big concern then by all means go as big as you can.

I wonder how an auto would do in a 200 gallon pot?

I have thought a great deal about the 200 gallon pot idea. I was actually thinking 55 gallon, but I think this would be a set up that requires no nutes from beginning to end, if growing autos.

In about 2 weeks I am going back to 3 gallon pots. I have tried 3 gallon, 4 gallon, and 5 gallon. I have gotten the most from my 3 gallon. They use less soil and are easier to water. I can fit 4 of them in the same space as 2 - 5 gallon pots (fabric) without worrying about too little light.

To each their own, you will certainly figure out a system that works for you.

I think most of us auto growers will agree, however, to just go straight to the final pot.

best of luck

I'm finding its strain dependant.
with a dwarf, you wont need a 3 gallon ....this is what i did with my first grow.
my second, I downsized to 2.5 gallon.....was a bad move, as it was a bigger strain, and turned out to be rootbound.
hurt my yield compared with my 3 gallon of the same strain.......I was watering the 2.5s twice the amount of the 3s.
I grow my autos in 3s now.

I'm finding its strain dependant.
with a dwarf, you wont need a 3 gallon ....this is what i did with my first grow.
my second, I downsized to 2.5 gallon.....was a bad move, as it was a bigger strain, and turned out to be rootbound.
hurt my yield compared with my 3 gallon of the same strain.......I was watering the 2.5s twice the amount of the 3s.
I grow my autos in 3s now.

3's seem to be the ideal size for me too. I get the yield and I can fit a lot of them in my area. With the fabric pots I don't seem to get root bound. Are you using fabric pots or regular ones?

I have used the 5's and the larger pot doesn't equal larger yields for me. Check out this picture:

e9b1cdad3223df5c7ee2e72b54dde6c5.jpg

All 3 of those were germinated on the same day. They are all the same strain, Advanced Seeds Auto Blue Diesel. The one in the middle is in a 3 gallon fabric pot and the ones on the ends are in 3 gallon nursery pots. The middle plant is larger, has better bud development, and has a deeper green color. I will harvest it the last week of this month. When I do I will show you a picture of the roots when I do. They won't be bound in any way.

3's seem to be the ideal size for me too. I get the yield and I can fit a lot of them in my area. With the fabric pots I don't seem to get root bound. Are you using fabric pots or regular ones?
my 2.5 was just a plastic garbage can like thing, that was rootbound.
my 3 gallons are just buckets, same diameter as the 5s, just shorter

I have used the 5's and the larger pot doesn't equal larger yields for me. Check out this picture:

e9b1cdad3223df5c7ee2e72b54dde6c5.jpg

All 3 of those were germinated on the same day. They are all the same strain, Advanced Seeds Auto Blue Diesel. The one in the middle is in a 3 gallon fabric pot and the ones on the ends are in 3 gallon nursery pots. The middle plant is larger, has better bud development, and has a deeper green color. I will harvest it the last week of this month. When I do I will show you a picture of the roots when I do. They won't be bound in any way.
Nice plants, I'm pretty new to this also. Would you mind telling me how often you watered and how much for your fabric plant in middle because I'm using 3 gal. fabric pots, I'm using Kind Soil and just usually wait till it's very,very light but not near wilting and will actually set my plant down in another 3 gal pot with small trash bag when I water and the water stays in my pot and soaks 100% of my soil after 10 min I will pull pot with plant in it out of the 1 with bag. This method I can get 1/2 gal of water to totally soak soil without runoff. Just curries how you water, thanx

Back
Top Bottom