The Seraphim Manifesto - My four dollars and twenty cents on the issue..

Seraphim

The Seraphim Manifesto. My four dollars and twenty cents on the issue....

I am a very mellow person. I medicate often and aside from alleviating my pain and suffering, I find it also makes it very easy to get along with most people in general. I am very tolerant of those who don't think like I do because I like to think that I am an understanding person of others.

However, one thing that marijuana cannot do for me is quench my thirst for justice or quell the disgust I feel towards the abuse and injustice that result from the fear and ignorance based positions of the mj prohibitionists. How can any reasonably intelligent individual not see the hypocrisy of having tobacco and alcohol legal while marijuana is illegal? Seriously, does anyone still have any real doubt about the medical benefits? Does anyone have more scientific clout than the AMA who has already recommended that we rethink the Schedule 1 classification of this substance? No really? So what is it that prohibitionists are basing their rhetoric on now? The same tired 90 plus year old reefer madness propaganda? "Its dangerous? It's a gate way drug? What message do want to send our children?

First off, Your lack of backbone to have a tough talk with your children should not be an excuse to continue to ruin the lives of thousands of innocent, non-violent and often sic people over a harmless substance. But since you lack the insight as a parent to know what to tell your children, I'll tell you what to tell the children; You tell them that sometimes adults make mistakes too. And you take the opportunity to show by example how an adult is supposed to act when they make a mistake. Such as, don't lie more to try to cover it up. Admit your mistake and look for ways to fix whatever damage may have been done. That is what I would want my children to learn from this.

So what do we tell our children... WE TELL THEM THE TRUTH! Not to mention that the reason why you are struggling with what to tell your children is a direct result of the criminalization of something that should not have been criminalized to begin with. So don't ask us, the ones trying to fix the problem to supply you with an excuse for the mistakes that your own ignorance fueled.

All you want to do is smoke pot. Well, yeah.. even a pot head like me knows enough to argue against a truth like that. But here is what is also true .... Marijuana prohibition has been a lot more harmful to society than marijuana itself. Or, to put it in simpler terms, my smoking a joint in my living room while I watch TV and devour a large cheese pizza is a lot less harmful to society than giving billions of dollars to Mexican drug cartels and possibly even terrorists. It is obvious that people will continue to smoke pot illegal or not.

Everyone should obey and respect the law. I agree! Obey and RESPECT the law. And anyone who expects good, honest, working people to obey a law which is based on blatant ignorance and which goes against every aspect of common sense, not to mention against the will of the voters, is clearly disrespecting the very foundation of the law which they claim to uphold.

Here is what I think is really happening....

You have a lot of self-righteous individuals who based a lot of their persona over their entire lives on the moral high ground of the marijuana prohibition philosophy. These folks are like the hardcore Taliban of prohibition, they don't care whats right or wrong or what's best for society. They will feverishly hold on to their hate towards a group of people based on their choice to medicate with a by and large harmless substance. So why don't we call this for what it really is.. It is just another form of discrimination. And frankly, we as a society should do with it what we do with every other form of discrimination and make the discrimination itself illegal!

Now that scientific fact is exposing the lies that the marijuana prohibitionist's positions have been based on all these years, their reaction is not that of intellectually sophisticated adults but rather a desperate and outright childish attempt at saving face by blindly grasping on to their falsehood-studded moral high ground. It should make us all as a collective society want to puke! Seriously.

Its very simple. A position not based on fact (in this case scientific fact) must then be based on something else. When it comes to Marijuana, if your position is not based on scientific fact, then there are two other likely options.

The first is "uninformed but legitimate concern for society". This is a benign and honest feeling and the only way to address it is with facts. Someone who feels that they are truly concerned has only to look at the scientific evidence and draw their own conclusions.

Now, if your position is not based on scientific fact, and is not based on uninformed but legitimate concern.. then the only obvious other option is capricious, fear based bigotry. And such ignorance should no longer be allowed to continue to destroy the lives of so many innocent and often sic individuals.

Going backwards the issue of cannabis legalization would be akin of telling women that they can no longer vote or black folks to sit in the back of the bus. This is a matter of civil and human rights just like any other. And if history is to be taken into account, change is not only due... but inevitable.

very very good thread and post. you're absolutely right. i think it will change one day. we seem to have the numbers, we just need people like us in office... with some law-making, political (sad but true) and law-executing power. we need advocates for legalization in the cities, counties, states, and federal government.

Just calling it like it is.

Do it to any other group and its called discrimination and it is mostly illegal.

Do it to people who approve of or consume cannabis and its perfectly OK (?)

NOT FOR LONG!!!!

No offense, but if you have time to post that on a message board, you have time to send it to a Congressman. Talking about it is good and all, action is what matters.

No offense taken MrGrunge, and yes as a matter of fact I have already ran through the NORML list of emails to send my local and state officials and done so. I am also on MPP's action email list.

But you are right.. it was a step on the soap box. ... Just wanted to get it out of my system i guess.

No offense taken MrGrunge, and yes as a matter of fact I have already ran through the NORML list of emails to send my local and state officials and done so. I am also on MPP's action email list.

But you are right.. it was a step on the soap box. ... Just wanted to get it out of my system i guess.

:thumb:

Soap boxes are fine when they're not on a pile of BS. And I think frustration over the issue is common enough that it warrants venting. If only more people would vent to somebody that really matters, then we might see some more progress.

Here's a suggestion to everyone: Instead of emails, send real letters via the USPS.

Here's a suggestion to everyone: Instead of emails, send real letters via the USPS.

I am about to sound naive but here goes.. does this make a difference? because if it does then I have wasted a lot of time!

I am about to sound naive but here goes.. does this make a difference? because if it does then I have wasted a lot of time!

If the person that you are addressing the emails to is genuinely interested in your words (and the person(s) who have the job of reading/digesting the emails passes your words to him/her) then maybe not.

But if the person is not that interested... Ever have a two-week break from checking your email account before you put a good set of filters into place and then check it, and have 5,000 emails waiting? It's pretty easy to clear them all out with a few mouse clicks.

It is somewhat harder to ignore an extra 5,000 real letters that have just been delivered to your office - even if you'd like to.

I guess it all comes down, though, to how conscientious the particular politico is in doing the job the way it was intended. There have been "a few" (;)) cases when a politician voted/acted against a clear majority of his/her constituents in order to follow his/her own agenda (or the most lucrative lobbyist) and in such cases the only thing that really made a difference was to vote the person out of office.

In a perfect world and all that.

In any event, I wouldn't consider communicating your thoughts and wishes (in any fashion) to ever be wasted time. An email is better than nothing at all.

Well noted sir.

Back
Top Bottom